Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Walden Master I/O Psychology -compentency based $1100 - My journey
I just got an email from Walden which confirms my suspicions. They haven't finished building the program. They did not expect accelerating students.

"I wanted to reach out to you today regarding XXXX. It appears that the course that this Competency belongs to, XXXX, is actually not quite ready for students yet. XXXX will be available for students in February. I apologize for the inconvenience. I recommend you start working on two other courses that were recently made available to students"
[-] The following 1 user Likes xspect's post:
  • warriortaupou
That stinks!!
Amberton University, MS Human Relations & Business
Started June 2022

TESU BALS completed March 2020
Study.com (24) StraighterLine (33) Sophia (10) SHU and GCU (26) TEEX (6) Coopersmith (12) CSMLearn (3) TESU (6)
(12-23-2019, 03:23 PM)xspect Wrote: Little background first

-MBA - Capella - flexpath finished in 2 months (1 term)
-MSN informatics - WGU finished in 6 months ( 1 term)

Ok, guys ask me anything.

Hi. Can you give us some details on the programs and how to complete the degrees in one term at Capella & WGU? Thanks
TESU BA June 2018.
Various business certificates still to do.
(01-11-2020, 07:59 PM)SDO Wrote:
(12-23-2019, 03:23 PM)xspect Wrote: Little background first

-MBA - Capella - flexpath finished in 2 months (1 term)
-MSN informatics - WGU finished in 6 months ( 1 term)

Ok, guys ask me anything.

Hi. Can you give us some details on the programs and how to complete the degrees in one term at Capella & WGU? Thanks

I have been working in upper management and informatics for over 10 years. I know the subject already.
(01-12-2020, 11:56 AM)xspect Wrote:
(01-11-2020, 07:59 PM)SDO Wrote: Hi. Can you give us some details on the programs and how to complete the degrees in one term at Capella & WGU? Thanks

I have been working in upper management and informatics for over 10 years. I know the subject already.

xspect already answered, but in 99% of the cases any time the question of how people can get through competency-based course material quickly, the answer always "because I have prior experience" or "because I already studied this elsewhere".

I wanted to reiterate this here because this question comes up all the time on these and other forums. It seems like this question comes up at least once a day on the WGU facebook forums. People always assume that online/competency-based courses must be easy because some people can fly through degrees more quickly than others. The truth is that less than 2% of students are able to accelerate, but people always make a big deal about it (bragging rights) so it seems like it is more common.

If you're coming into a new subject, don't expect fast results. Yes, some courses will be easier than others, but not all. This is also why we always recommend that people get their degree(s) in a subject they are already experienced in (or at least a subject that they are very interested in and more likely to absorb quickly).

One thing I say on the WGU forums a lot: Don't compare your progress with anyone else... it just leads to despair. There will always be someone faster or more experienced than you. Do things at your pace and you'll be happier.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 7 users Like Merlin's post:
  • allvia, davewill, DeanLewis, eLearner, GoodYellowDogs, quigongene, suzycupcake
I've enrolled in the MS in General Psychology. It's just to cheap to pass up. Shooting for one term, we'll see :-)
Just wondering Hmm, how did you get this for $1100/term? I think the cheapest I noticed it was roughly $1300 or more/term with the 50% off discount. So just curious, what are others who have signed up paying for a term? I feel like signing up for something because it does seem cheap/easy/fast and the value on ROI is great!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(01-13-2020, 12:58 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Just wondering Hmm, how did you get this for $1100/term?  I think the cheapest I noticed it was roughly $1300 or more/term with the 50% off discount.  So just curious, what are others who have signed up paying for a term?  I feel like signing up for something because it does seem cheap/easy/fast and the value on ROI is great!

It actually was $1150. I dont know how they came up to that price.
[-] The following 1 user Likes xspect's post:
  • GoodYellowDogs
(01-13-2020, 01:59 PM)xspect Wrote:
(01-13-2020, 12:58 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Just wondering Hmm, how did you get this for $1100/term?  I think the cheapest I noticed it was roughly $1300 or more/term with the 50% off discount.  So just curious, what are others who have signed up paying for a term?  I feel like signing up for something because it does seem cheap/easy/fast and the value on ROI is great!

It actually was $1150. I dont know how they came up to that price.

https://www.waldenu.edu/financial-aid/li...gs-details  scroll to the bottom.
Denise

MS - Management and Leadership, WGU 2022
BS - Liberal Arts - Depths in Healthcare and Psychology, Excelsior College 2014
Certificate - Workers Comp Admin, UC Davis Extension, 1995
AA - Licensed Vocational Nursing and Selected Studies, Mesa College 1989
Certificate - Licensed Vocational Nursing (LVN), Mesa College 1977

Also, someday maybe a MS in Forensic Psychology, just for fun.   Oh, and a BS in Animal Behavior.  And, maybe when I'm 85 a PhD in something fun.

[-] The following 1 user Likes GoodYellowDogs's post:
  • warriortaupou
(01-13-2020, 03:31 AM)Merlin Wrote: xspect already answered, but in 99% of the cases any time the question of how people can get through competency-based course material quickly, the answer always "because I have prior experience" or "because I already studied this elsewhere".

Yeah, I think a lot of people don't really fully understand that it's built into the name - competency-based. Wink

dmjacobsen http://donaldjacobsen.com
Author, nurse, and all-around awesome guy
MSN Executive Leadership - The University of Memphis - 2016
MBA Healthcare Management - Western Governors University - 2015
[-] The following 3 users Like dmjacobsen's post:
  • allvia, jsd, Merlin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ENEB Master Thread MrsBulletPoints 2,736 536,670 3 hours ago
Last Post: spree610
  Graduate Discounts (ENEB, Walden, etc) ashkir 30 24,764 04-16-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: dutchdragon
  Opinions on Master's International University of Divinity isaachunter 19 6,095 04-14-2024, 07:55 AM
Last Post: isaachunter
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 33 7,296 04-04-2024, 05:32 PM
Last Post: collegecareerstudent
  Utah Eccles Master of Business Creation (MBC) Jonathan Whatley 0 189 03-29-2024, 07:23 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
Thumbs Up Master in Sustainable Transition - Germany (No Tuition Fee, English, Online Program) kumamon 2 602 03-27-2024, 11:03 PM
Last Post: armado
  Robert Cavelier University Journey armstrongsubero 26 1,634 03-19-2024, 05:30 PM
Last Post: eLearner
  American Institute of Law - My Journey AnonJD2027 14 2,090 03-19-2024, 04:01 PM
Last Post: JazzMac
  Recognition of Execute Master Lorvey 10 586 03-19-2024, 02:31 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Master of Public Administration BSBRose21 9 1,652 03-18-2024, 11:01 PM
Last Post: Leedeedee