Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Walden & New York State
Well, if you're a NY resident, you're out of luck when it comes to attending Walden. I submit an information request because I am interested in their MBA w/ project management Tempo degree and they won't give me any info at all. Rasmussen also has this issue. If you're interested in an online school, make sure their programs are open to you before you too get excited about the program. Finding out I can't attend Walden because of where I live is so frustrating! Here's what Walden emailed me:

Why can Walden not accept new students from New York at this time?

In 2017, New York State passed a new law and implemented new regulations to require approval of out-of-state universities offering distance education programs. Walden submitted the required application and information for authorization. The New York State Education Department did not accept Walden’s initial application based on the state’s narrow interpretation of a complex required financial criteria. Walden is currently considering its options to receive authorization.

Walden’s financial strength and strong academic standards are the same as they have been for a decade. In other words, nothing at Walden has changed – it’s the same strong institution it’s been; it is the New York law that changed.

What is Walden doing to support New Yorkers interested in pursuing higher education?

Walden University has successfully educated New York residents online for many years. Walden currently has almost 2,000 New Yorkers enrolled and 6,000 alumni. We’re proud of that history.

Walden is currently considering its options to receive authorization to provide distance education in New York under a new law and regulations passed by the state. No timeframe is currently available on these options, but we will let you know if our status changes.
(11-28-2020, 02:06 PM)ss20ts Wrote: Well, if you're a NY resident, you're out of luck when it comes to attending Walden. I submit an information request because I am interested in their MBA w/ project management Tempo degree and they won't give me any info at all. Rasmussen also has this issue. If you're interested in an online school, make sure their programs are open to you before you too get excited about the program. Finding out I can't attend Walden because of where I live is so frustrating! Here's what Walden emailed me:

Why can Walden not accept new students from New York at this time?

In 2017, New York State passed a new law and implemented new regulations to require approval of out-of-state universities offering distance education programs. Walden submitted the required application and information for authorization. The New York State Education Department did not accept Walden’s initial application based on the state’s narrow interpretation of a complex required financial criteria. Walden is currently considering its options to receive authorization.

Walden’s financial strength and strong academic standards are the same as they have been for a decade. In other words, nothing at Walden has changed – it’s the same strong institution it’s been; it is the New York law that changed.

What is Walden doing to support New Yorkers interested in pursuing higher education?

Walden University has successfully educated New York residents online for many years. Walden currently has almost 2,000 New Yorkers enrolled and 6,000 alumni. We’re proud of that history.

Walden is currently considering its options to receive authorization to provide distance education in New York under a new law and regulations passed by the state. No timeframe is currently available on these options, but we will let you know if our status changes.
I am not a big fan of Walden. It used to be one the most expensive institutions until the for profit bubble burst.
I'm not a big fan of for-profit institutions either, Walden actually isn't doing all that bad, and wasn't all that bad when the bubble was still growing. I've been following all the for-profits and it is probably the only one that I would ever attend if I had to pick a for-profit. Actually, there are a few more, like APUS for example and maybe even Capella and Strayer. If you can find comparable non-profit or public schools that have the degree programs you want, they should be the first choice for everyone.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  5 institutions paying fine plus how much college costs in every state bjcheung77 1 208 01-25-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: inor
  ‘We did it together’: New York mother and daughter graduate college on same day LevelUP 0 194 12-22-2023, 10:57 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Free Course Jacksonville State University a_dblu 56 9,684 11-19-2023, 07:30 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  Arizona State University looking to purchase FIDM bjcheung77 7 856 08-24-2023, 07:23 PM
Last Post: inf
  Quickest and Easiest Way to Boost GPA for State College aetosdios 12 1,190 08-02-2023, 12:09 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  IIE spring snapshot highlights US return to “pre-pandemic state” bjcheung77 0 280 07-14-2023, 03:23 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  After 14 student deaths, North Carolina State confronts a national crisis bjcheung77 1 379 05-13-2023, 11:40 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Northwest Florida State College - Low Online Tuition smartdegree 8 1,317 04-17-2023, 02:36 PM
  Empire State University durain 2 732 03-28-2023, 11:05 PM
  Penn state's two law schools will be combined into a single law school Imbanewbie 0 506 12-01-2022, 09:50 AM
Last Post: Imbanewbie