Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Want to do marketing degree...MBA with conc. in marketing or MSc in Marketing?
My friend spent a quarter of a million dollars getting an MBA in marketing from UC San Diego. She says before she thought marketing was all clever and strategic. She learned that it's just a bunch of monkeys throwing darts at the wall to see what sticks. She said the degree was good, though, because now she knows how the monkeys think. She ended up starting her own marketing agency and is very successful.

You just have to figure out what it will take to get you where you want to go.
amilitab4k9 Wrote:My friend spent a quarter of a million dollars getting an MBA in marketing from UC San Diego. She says before she thought marketing was all clever and strategic. She learned that it's just a bunch of monkeys throwing darts at the wall to see what sticks. She said the degree was good, though, because now she knows how the monkeys think. She ended up starting her own marketing agency and is very successful.

Ok, off subject, but how did she manage to do this? It's only $43,000/yr to go there as an MBA student (or $47k for non-residents), so in 2 years that would be $86k-$94k. I can't even figure out how someone could get to $250k!
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Prloko Wrote:Being that you are doing a BSBA in Marketing, an MBA with Marketing will repeat almost all courses. A better bet IMHO, is to get an analytics focus as companies right now are struggling with the glut of data (from Social media, and beyond) and data scientists are struggling to apply their data to business applications. adding marketing with analytics would be perfect for marketing research and strategy.

I would disagree, unless you want to be the person the marketing director hires and not the marketing director. As someone who has been in marketing (agency and F500) I would suggest an MBA, far more utility for later in life. Frankly the CMO is not a great job, lots of turnover and you have a target on your back. Far better to have the knowledge to someday look for a different seat in the C suite
Former University of Pennsylvania Economics Major Trying to Restart
Currently working on Study.com Guardian Scholarship: Personal Finance, American Government, Environmental Science, Intro to Management, Hist Vietnam War - 15cr
ALEKs: Beginning/Intermediate/College Algebra - 9cr
The Institutes: Professional Ethics - 2cr
TEEX: All 3 Cyber Security - 6cr
CLEP:A&I Lit - 6cr
Sophia: Building Teams - 1cr
Kaplan: PLA - 3cr
Saylor: Env Ethics - 3cr
45cr down
I don't see the need for 30-36 graduate credits in marketing. It's nothing but a watered down social science with some business and communications thrown in. People of various backgrounds work in marketing research. They just need skills in statistics and research. Getting a masters in marketing is almost as bad as getting a masters in leadership and management.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Sanantone I'm curious to your position on these master degrees. You have posted multiple times with a heavy stand on not seeing value in certain ones like Leadership & Marketing. Are you basing this off of hiring those with these degrees, running a company with these degrees or just a casual position on what you feel the skills these degrees may produce?

Having worked with clinical degrees (hospitals), business degrees (corporate), non-degrees (autodidact talent), hired all three over the last 5 years (as a CEO) - I have never thought of any knowledge through self-taught or degrees as not being a value. As I am enjoying my time with WGU, some of the cooler classes have been on the MSML side. When I look at the future for my kids (all youth) degrees on Leadership, Ethics, Global Sustainability, Environment etc are all ones that excite me for what their impact will be.

Getting a BSBA/MBA may always be a greater paper value and even though my success came before either, I do appreciate the interest to secure a recognizable degree for the HR exercises. The reason for these new degrees highlights the world is changing on value interests/needs. Success in business is not found in a book but in the field and those with greater skills in leadership & ethics should show long turn value for the world.
PhD, Leadership, University of the Cumberlands - What Have I Done!!?!!
MBA, Healthcare Management, Western Governors University - in progress
MS, Management and Leadership, Western Governors University - 2017
BS, Business Administration, Thomas Edison State University - 2016

RANSOMSOUL: Exchange Good For Great

The Ultimate Route to Earning a Bachelor's Degree in Business: A StraighterLine Success Story
RANSOMSOUL Wrote:Sanantone I'm curious to your position on these master degrees. You have posted multiple times with a heavy stand on not seeing value in certain ones like Leadership & Marketing. Are you basing this off of hiring those with these degrees, running a company with these degrees or just a casual position on what you feel the skills these degrees may produce?

Having worked with clinical degrees (hospitals), business degrees (corporate), non-degrees (autodidact talent), hired all three over the last 5 years (as a CEO) - I have never thought of any knowledge through self-taught or degrees as not being a value. As I am enjoying my time with WGU, some of the cooler classes have been on the MSML side. When I look at the future for my kids (all youth) degrees on Leadership, Ethics, Global Sustainability, Environment etc are all ones that excite me for what their impact will be.

Getting a BSBA/MBA may always be a greater paper value and even though my success came before either, I do appreciate the interest to secure a recognizable degree for the HR exercises. The reason for these new degrees highlights the world is changing on value interests/needs. Success in business is not found in a book but in the field and those with greater skills in leadership & ethics should show long turn value for the world.

Leadership is a combination of a personal trait and learning by experience. To flip your words around, success in leadership is not found in a book. You can take courses that will help you become a better leader, but it's certainly not worth a whole degree. Leadership courses are one very small subset of organizational psychology which is already a sub-field of psychology. Unlike with human resources where you can break it down into courses about law, labor relations, training, compensation management, etc., leadership degrees are largely broken down into meaningless categories that could all be covered in a couple of courses. The best comparison I can think of right now is completing a whole degree in Java. You wouldn't be learning a variety of skills; you would be learning one meaningful skill broken down into 10-12 courses. Leadership degree programs are pretty much money-grabber programs similar to homeland security programs, except that homeland security programs at least come with more topics to cover.

I've told this story before, but I was so angry when I had to take Leadership in my doctoral program because there wasn't another elective for me to take that wasn't scheduled at the same time as one of my required courses. It was nothing but a more advanced version of an organizational behavior course I took at a community college. It was already boring the first time; I didn't need to suffer through it again a second time. When I was searching for doctoral programs, one of my professors in my masters program recommended a doctoral degree he completed in leadership. I looked through the courses and course descriptions. He completed the degree as a means to an end. I, on the other hand, did not want to waste my time and money learning very little, which would have happened if I had decided to enroll in that program. If you've taken several psychology courses, just about everything in leadership courses will look familiar, like a very small part of the big picture, and very watered down.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
amilitab4k9 Wrote:My friend spent a quarter of a million dollars getting an MBA in marketing from UC San Diego. She says before she thought marketing was all clever and strategic. She learned that it's just a bunch of monkeys throwing darts at the wall to see what sticks. She said the degree was good, though, because now she knows how the monkeys think. She ended up starting her own marketing agency and is very successful.

A bunch of monkeys throwing darts? She obviously learned a great deal as she ended up creating and maintaining a successful marketing agency(if your story is true). Also, WE are not monkeys, we are primates, part of the same family as monkeys are in. And as Drefcore mentioned, it does not come close to 250k for an MBA at UC San Diego.

sanantone Wrote:I don't see the need for 30-36 graduate credits in marketing. It's nothing but a watered down social science with some business and communications thrown in. People of various backgrounds work in marketing research. They just need skills in statistics and research. Getting a masters in marketing is almost as bad as getting a masters in leadership and management.

So is this coming from first hand experience or when you browsed through curriculum?
What would you suggest alternatively?
You don't think a degree like this would be useful at all?
Started Sept. 2016 -Thomas Edison State Univeristy - BSBA - Marketing 120/120 DONE
ACE/ALT 41 CR
TECEP: 15 CR
ALEKS: Intermediate Algebra l College Algebra l Statistics l
The Institutes: Ethics
Saylor: Principles of Marketing
Straighterline: American Government l Intro to Religion l Principles of Management l English Comp II l
Study.com : Business 308 l History 108 l Principles of Finance l Digital Marketing
CSU CBE: Market Research l
TECEP: Strategic Management l  Public relations l Advertising l Sales Mgmt l Marketing Comm
Community College B&M Courses (2013-2015) 64 CR General Ed. and Business
Short-term Objective: TESU BSBA in Marketing by Sept. 2017 (DONE!) Graduating in June
Long-term Objective: Career in marketing then eventually MBA or MSC in Marketing later on  
Not sure what happened to my response that I posted yesterday (sure it was on my end and made a misstep on the post button).

Just wanted to share that Sanantone and I run closer to having a middle ground on positions than not. We both value in the field tribal knowledge and formal education. It looks that we differ perhaps due to our experiences and roles on the value of these modern day degrees.

I appreciate your share. Best wishes for the remaining 18 credits for your TESU degree.

The Ultimate Route to Earning a Bachelor's Degree in Business: A StraighterLine Success Story
davewill Wrote:That's crossing a line.

He/she crossed that line with derogatory statements towards a respectful degree.

RANSOMSOUL Wrote:Not sure what happened to my response that I posted yesterday (sure it was on my end and made a misstep on the post button).

Just wanted to share that Sanantone and I run closer to having a middle ground on positions than not. We both value in the field tribal knowledge and formal education. It looks that we differ perhaps due to our experiences and roles on the value of these modern day degrees.

I appreciate your share. Best wishes for the remaining 18 credits for your TESU degree.

Thanks RandomSoul. I'll keep the critique of everyone in this thread in mind. Perhaps it may even be too soon for graduate school.
I just know that I want to end up in the marketing world, preferably in the Tech. Sector Smile
Started Sept. 2016 -Thomas Edison State Univeristy - BSBA - Marketing 120/120 DONE
ACE/ALT 41 CR
TECEP: 15 CR
ALEKS: Intermediate Algebra l College Algebra l Statistics l
The Institutes: Ethics
Saylor: Principles of Marketing
Straighterline: American Government l Intro to Religion l Principles of Management l English Comp II l
Study.com : Business 308 l History 108 l Principles of Finance l Digital Marketing
CSU CBE: Market Research l
TECEP: Strategic Management l  Public relations l Advertising l Sales Mgmt l Marketing Comm
Community College B&M Courses (2013-2015) 64 CR General Ed. and Business
Short-term Objective: TESU BSBA in Marketing by Sept. 2017 (DONE!) Graduating in June
Long-term Objective: Career in marketing then eventually MBA or MSC in Marketing later on  
TESUabroad - just want to comment that my kids cracked up as I read that you called me RandomSoul Lol. It has happened once before on here (might have been you Wink. It's perfect because mistaking my handle for Randomsoul seems very Random Smile Heading to goDaddy to transition our family site from ransomsoul.com to randomsoul.com Wink

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Harvard Extension School Students Rally for Degree Name Change smartdegree 116 15,355 02-22-2024, 09:51 AM
Last Post: sarahmac
Question Cheapest online master's degree in *anything?* profstudent 26 4,019 02-18-2024, 06:34 PM
Last Post: ITdegree
  British Master’s degree for £1,950 armado 23 3,867 02-17-2024, 01:55 AM
Last Post: lincolnlawyer
  Master's in Online or Digital Marketing resistk 2 324 02-13-2024, 03:01 PM
Last Post: resistk
  NAU is ending their PL MOL degree Ebroady23 5 782 01-19-2024, 02:28 PM
Last Post: kai1120
Thumbs Up Will graduate schools in the United States and abroad accept an online college degree shoron 47 6,543 01-15-2024, 11:18 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Seeking affordable online interior design degree lumina 12 1,188 12-14-2023, 11:53 AM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Cheapest online masters degree under 12 months Sdmj33 30 9,032 12-02-2023, 05:00 PM
Last Post: ecdw94
  Help - Masters Degree Advice bdcmetal666 12 3,123 11-18-2023, 03:46 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  NAU MOL degree personalized learning Ebroady23 8 814 11-07-2023, 04:40 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley