Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wanting to get Pell Grant overage
I'm confused, partly because I changed from my original plans to get the TESU BSBA while capstone is not required. Also, I had apparently previously read something that was outdated or wrong, or rarely done.

I have about $1000 more of exams to take, and then will need $2132 for residency waiver and graduation fee. If I can't use a Pell Grant, I will find a way to raise the money in time, but if it's an option, I would really like to pursue the Grant right away. What should I know about this?

I'd like to do what I've heard of others doing -- apply and take 12 credits at the cheapest community college, so I can have use the rest and cover at least the residency waiver fee. I'm sure this isn't worth the hassle to most students, but it seems worth it to me if I get $1800-2132+ to cover those fees.

But is this still an option for me? I'm just worried that I'm too late. From what I understand, first I would choose the very cheap college and apply and get their "acceptance letter" that nearly everyone gets. Then I fill out everything on the FAFSA site and submit all documentation, etc. Then I wait. I know that Luna is very cheap and their term seems to begin June 5th, so would they be my best choice? Isn't it too late to get the grant money before then? Do I pay upfront and then get reimbursed if the grant comes through?

Or do I have to pick a school with more flexible start dates? Luna does not have many online courses for the summer (June 5th) term. So I figured that I would just pick the easiest 12 credits. There are at least 4 courses that I could pass without studying, but I understand that the classes would probably require quizzes, homework, exam, etc and that I would need to put some effort in to avoid a bad grade. Can they be duplicate courses? For example taking Trig at Luna even though I have ACE credit for Trig at ALEKS, or a duplicate of an old credit?

Don't I have to clear it with TESU before enrolling at Luna? I am unsure if I'm officially enrolled at TESU. I am positive I saw somewhere on their OSS/MyEdison that I have a status of "enrolled", but then there are places in OSS that say not currently an enrolled student. I registered for the May TECEP and I know I will become "enrolled" very soon if I am not already. Don't I have to inform Luna?

Luna has short terms, so then wouldn't I have to take another 12 credits for their Fall term to qualify for the full semester amount?

I don't want to change my TESU BSBA plan (and would also like to get the ASNSM-Biology from them, although I would consider an Associates from elsewhere, especially if the degree wasn't generic sounding). I want to graduate in Dec, meaning finishing everything by end of Sept. If needed, I guess I could delay by 3 months. Would I have my grant check in time to pay in Sept?

Or is this not as simple as I thought? Is there some other aid I should be pursuing instead or in addition? I tried looking for scholarships that I could qualify for, and it seems like they take so long and wouldn't like it being DL. They also seem like a lot of work, essays and paperwork for just a small chance at winning. (Besides the study.com scholarship which I already got.) I don't plan to pursue a loan. I already know about selling stuff, getting a side job, etc Smile

FAFSA first and you can include all the colleges you think you may apply to get that done yesterday its easy as pie. Also get a copy of your IRS Tax return Transcript for 2015 (You may need this... its free and if you have a credit card, auto loan or mortgage IRS can verify you can do it online and print your transcript.

Wait until you get notification (24-96 hours) that your FAFSA application has been processed.

Apply to the least expensive junior college in your area.
Register for courses and declare a major for the AA or AS
Then visit Financial Aid, they will have you take an online course and complete a Master Promissory Note. Give them the transcript just in case. If the Pell will not cover your needs (dont talk about testing) for living, books, and transportation you can get a subsidized student loan. They will be able to tell you what you can receive. Fill out that application for a loan if needed. Someone will review the application (days). Then sometime around 30 days after classes start you will receive your loan or pell overages.

You wont know if you even qualify for Pell until you do the FAFSA. And you wont know what contribution you are required to make.
Working towards BA Psychology from TESU
Started 3/22/2017 with Aleks and the Institute
Started 4/4/2017 with Straighterline
72/120 credits so far.

Straighterline: 4/4/2017
REL-277 Introduction to Religion
ANT-101 Introduction to Anthropology
POS-110 American Government
HIS-101 Western Civilization I
HIS-102 Western Civilization II
HIS-113 American History I
HIS-114 American History II
SOC-101 Introduction to Sociology
BIO-208 Nutrition
PSY-101 Introduction to Psychology
STA-201 Statistics
HEA-203 Medical Terminology
COM-101 Introduction to Communications
BUS-301 Principles of Management
Study.com
Personal Finance
Lifespan Development
ALEKS 3/22/2017
MAT-121 College Algebra
The Institute 3/22/2017
PHI-384 Ethics -2
TEEX
Cyber 101 -2
Cyber 201 -2
PREVIOUS EDUCATION
St. Leo University 2004
College Comp I
Integrated Physical Science
Algebra and Functions
Cuyamaca College
Spanish I - 5
The Internet - 1
Ancapman Wrote:Apply to the least expensive junior college in your area.

Thanks.

So it has to be a college in my state? In this state they're not that cheap, even at community colleges. I believe 12 credits would be over $1800, plus more for all those little fees they hit you with, so if there's little overage, it's not worth it.

Your cc plan with overage sounds most logical.
MA in progress
Certificate in the Study of Capitalism - University of Arkansas
BS, Business  Administration - Ashworth College
Certificates in Accounting & Finance 
BA, Regents Bachelor of Arts - West Virginia University
AAS & AGS
Ideas Wrote:Thanks.

So it has to be a college in my state? In this state they're not that cheap, even at community colleges. I believe 12 credits would be over $1800, plus more for all those little fees they hit you with, so if there's little overage, it's not worth it.

No it doesn't have to be in your state. But you may find that non resident costs are much higher than your expensive in state costs.... One of the most stupifying penalties in education is resident vs non resident pricing. I understand the tax implications but still its really really dumb and feels like a money grab.

What state are you in?
72/120 credits so far.

BIO-208 Nutrition
STA-201 Statistics
Study.com
Personal Finance
Lifespan Development
ALEKS 3/22/2017
MAT-121 College Algebra
The Institute 3/22/2017
PHI-384 Ethics -2
TEEX
Cyber 101 -2
Cyber 201 -2
PREVIOUS EDUCATION
St. Leo University 2004
College Comp I
Algebra and Functions
Cuyamaca College
Spanish I - 5
The Internet - 1
Ancapman Wrote:No it doesn't have to be in your state. But you may find that non resident costs are much higher than your expensive in state costs.... One of the most stupifying penalties in education is resident vs non resident pricing. I understand the tax implications but still its really really dumb and feels like a money grab.

I don't think you really understand "the tax implications" of this.

Take for instance CA. We CA residents who pay state income taxes, pay a LOT of state income taxes. And one of the things they do with our taxes is give it to our state schools (CC's, the CSU system, and the UC system). So, therefore, shouldn't I, and my kids, get some of the benefit of those tax payments?

Maybe a better way to look at is that out-of-state tuition costs are closer to the "actual" costs of going to the school, and my state taxes give me a reduction in the cost. Which is how it should be.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
dfrecore Wrote:I don't think you really understand "the tax implications" of this.

Take for instance CA. We CA residents who pay state income taxes, pay a LOT of state income taxes. And one of the things they do with our taxes is give it to our state schools (CC's, the CSU system, and the UC system). So, therefore, shouldn't I, and my kids, get some of the benefit of those tax payments?

Maybe a better way to look at is that out-of-state tuition costs are closer to the "actual" costs of going to the school, and my state taxes give me a reduction in the cost. Which is how it should be.

Oh I understand the insane taxes of CA. I escaped over a decade ago before the crazies of LA and SF completely took over the state and decided to tax anything that can be.
72/120 credits so far.

BIO-208 Nutrition
STA-201 Statistics
Study.com
Personal Finance
Lifespan Development
ALEKS 3/22/2017
MAT-121 College Algebra
The Institute 3/22/2017
PHI-384 Ethics -2
TEEX
Cyber 101 -2
Cyber 201 -2
PREVIOUS EDUCATION
St. Leo University 2004
College Comp I
Algebra and Functions
Cuyamaca College
Spanish I - 5
The Internet - 1
New Mexico Junior College is about the cheapest practical school I know of. Pell won't work there if you have over 90 credits earned at other schools (CLEP doesn't really count). Otherwise they are easy to deal with, have lots of classes, and run around $100/credit.

Complete your FAFSA and see if you even qualify.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
Ancapman Wrote:Oh I understand the insane taxes of CA. I escaped over a decade ago before the crazies of LA and SF completely took over the state and decided to tax anything that can be.

I wasn't necessarily talking about the tax rate as much as the "discounted" rate we get for being in-state. Or the out-of-state students paying the actual costs of the college.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
There's no state income tax in Texas, but we pay sales taxes, high property taxes, and fees that are really taxes. Regardless of whether or not I think the taxes are high, if Texas residents are the ones subsidizing public schools, then only Texas residents should reap the benefits of those subsidies.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2023-2024 Pell Grant Max: $7395 (Options to use this) bjcheung77 8 1,341 07-31-2023, 10:53 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Am I insane for wanting to try a competency based program? Schlafen 13 1,630 01-31-2023, 12:10 AM
Last Post: IReallyNeedADegree
  5 Random Questions [LOR, Pell, SNHU, etc] omicreativedev 5 743 01-07-2023, 04:03 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Pearson wanting to explore using NFTs bjcheung77 1 453 08-06-2022, 03:31 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Short-term Pell for online? Alpha 11 1,020 06-30-2022, 11:19 PM
  Clarification on how Pell Grant works? OP88 2 688 05-31-2021, 03:51 PM
Last Post: OP88
  PSA Apply for FAFSA/Pell Grant Now ashkir 0 624 01-18-2021, 09:21 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  Getting Transcripts From College Wanting Money (maybe) xXAnonymousXx 12 2,042 12-07-2020, 01:17 PM
Last Post: innen_oda
  Fafsa Pell Grant Giantzebra 3 723 11-08-2020, 07:31 PM
  Best use of a Pell Grant amomwholearns 3 978 08-10-2020, 02:28 PM
Last Post: hsfamfun