Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Was there ever an Edison State College?
I think I've heard of an Edison State College, but it was in a different part of the country...maybe Florida. I was looking at the CV of a Civil Air Patrol member who adjuncts at University of Texas, and it says that he graduated 1988 from Edison State College in Trenton, NJ. It also says that he was pre-med. 

Anyway, he finished a PhD 30 years later, so it's never too late. In between "Edison State College" and his PhD from University of Oklahoma, he earned two master's degrees. After the PhD, he earned a third master's degree. His majors include biology, Spanish, library and information sciences, theology, and history of science. I should talk to him more often because he might be my spirit animal.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Florida SouthWestern State College went through a bunch of name changes, including an Edison State College

Edison Junior College (1962) --> Edison Community College (1972) Edison College (2004) -->Edison State College (2008) -->Florida SouthWestern State College (2014)
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(11-20-2018, 01:58 PM)jsd Wrote: Florida SouthWestern State College went through a bunch of name changes, including an Edison State College

Edison Junior College (1962) --> Edison Community College (1972) Edison College (2004) -->Edison State College (2008) -->Florida SouthWestern State College (2014)

That's what I saw when I did a search. I think he just shortened Thomas Edison State College's name. I've never heard of it referred to as Edison State College, but I was watching Care Bears in 1988. It probably wouldn't be a good idea to put a nickname on a CV anyway. 

I was looking for a liberal church to attend in Austin, and I saw that he was an ordained minister there. He really might be my spirit animal.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • jsd
(11-20-2018, 01:47 PM)sanantone Wrote: I think I've heard of an Edison State College, but it was in a different part of the country...maybe Florida. I was looking at the CV of a Civil Air Patrol member who adjuncts at University of Texas, and it says that he graduated 1988 from Edison State College in Trenton, NJ. It also says that he was pre-med. 

Anyway, he finished a PhD 30 years later, so it's never too late. In between "Edison State College" and his PhD from University of Oklahoma, he earned two master's degrees. After the PhD, he earned a third master's degree. His majors include biology, Spanish, library and information sciences, theology, and history of science. I should talk to him more often because he might be my spirit animal.

ok, so this is strange- but there is an actual college in Edison, NJ called "The College of New Jersey at Edison High School"
50 Boulevard of Eagles
Edison, NJ 08820
It received RA in 2014, so could it have existed as a college in 1988? Uh, maybe? I doubt it.

I agree with you that is probably shortened the title, but why? Also, TESU's catalog has never been bigger, do you think it's possible that he majored in premed? I wonder if he transferred in his premed credits from elsewhere? That would make more sense and maybe TESU used to be more liberal/flexible with learner designed area of study or degree title (I could understand that, especially in the late 80's) I don't get the vibe that he's lying, rather it just seems strange that someone with SO MUCH education wouldn't put the full name of his school on there. EDIT to add: maybe because they are university now instead of college that he doesn't think it would match? I don't know- I'm scratching my head on this one.

https://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/InstAcc...323420504d

Seems there is such a place as Edison, NJ and that
His BA appears to be a double major in Spanish and biology. He added "pre-med" on the end. I doubt TESU had a pre-med track; that might be his own distinction.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
This obit from a Trenton newspaper in 2015 refers to it as "Edison State College" as well! Is this just local shorthand that we aren't privy to outside of NJ??

http://www.pressreader.com/usa/the-trent...1462703759

I also saw an author's bio page in her book describe her as a Trenton NJ "Edison State College" 1989 grad.

This guy was a program director at "Edison State College" in the 80s... https://prabook.com/web/norman.lederer/323686

And "Daniel Hodges received a BS in Aviation Technology from Edison State College in Trenton, New Jersey in 1991" - https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/...050205.htm

And then there is Dr Reynolds, who has "a bachelor’s degree in Natural Sciences from Edison State College in Trenton, New Jersey" http://www.waa.av.org/DrMDReynolds_page.html

Dr. Rowden got his BS from Edison State College, Trenton, N.J. as well! http://ssbea.mercer.edu/vita/rowden_rw.html

(i also found the professor that sparked off this thread)...

This was just the first few serach results I found. It looks like a lot of people use this wording. I am really really curious why this is apparently common. I certainly can't find any instances of the school referring to itself as such (though they previously used Edison's middle initial on everything - lots of references to "Thomas A. Edison State College" on older school documents)
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • sanantone
He's from Oklahoma and now lives in Texas, so I don't know where he picked this up from. I haven't heard people in my region drop the first names from college names. It's usually only done with K-12 schools. This might be more of a generational thing, or TESU used this nickname up until the 90s.

I definitely wouldn't put the shortened name on an application or CV. Considering that there are so many colleges with similar names, it's important for human resources to have an exact match of a current or former name unless they already have the transcript.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
  • jsd
(11-22-2018, 11:45 AM)sanantone Wrote: 90s.

I definitely wouldn't put the shortened name on an application or CV. Considering that there are so many colleges with similar names, it's important for human resources to have an exact match of a current or former name unless they already have the transcript.

Agreed. It's so strange, especially all the matches JSD found. I can't help but wonder if we're missing something....
(11-23-2018, 10:50 AM)cookderosa Wrote:
(11-22-2018, 11:45 AM)sanantone Wrote: 90s.

Agreed. It's so strange, especially all the matches JSD found.  I can't help but wonder if we're missing something....

I think this just might be a bad practice of shortening a long school name. There's an Edison State Community College in Ohio that often refers to itself as Edison State College. So, when people drop the "Thomas," they might get their alma mater confused with the school in Ohio and that other school in Florida. 

Quote:The conference will be held at Edison State College, Prudence Hall, 101 West State Street, Trenton, New Jersey.

https://www.njsda.gov/SDA_BUSINESS/proje...ge=PM-0009
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
  • cookderosa
(11-22-2018, 02:49 AM)sanantone Wrote: His BA appears to be a double major in Spanish and biology. He added "pre-med" on the end. I doubt TESU had a pre-med track; that might be his own distinction.

Seems likely. A lot of schools don't have an official "pre-med" track, it's just a matter of collecting all the standard med school prerequisites.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  RA Credits from a Community College? mulhearnmusic 2 322 09-16-2023, 04:54 PM
Last Post: mulhearnmusic
  Thomas Edison Computer Science Degree avi_learning 35 2,996 08-29-2023, 02:10 PM
Last Post: avi_learning
  TESU - Community College & RA Questions mt_1994 22 1,823 03-08-2023, 05:02 PM
Last Post: davewill
  TESU Public Speaking / Sociology / College Writing 1+2 alternatives zolpgree 7 808 12-13-2022, 01:57 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  PLR credits - Atlantic EMS Council state-licensed or Nationally Registered EMT carrythenothing 0 518 07-02-2022, 09:09 AM
Last Post: carrythenothing
Information TESU joins Garden State Guarantee jch 7 1,713 06-18-2022, 01:17 PM
Last Post: Blckbuster
  TESU: UL credit for community college courses? studyingfortests 10 1,349 01-29-2022, 12:32 PM
Last Post: davewill
  TESU won't accept my community college transfer credits!? chessca 4 965 01-07-2022, 01:27 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Canadian College Diploma Credits Transferring as Foreign Credits omarbeila 15 1,380 08-19-2021, 01:09 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  I am currently in community college and planning to transfer to TESU (Need help) Lightorb333 9 1,117 03-06-2021, 04:30 AM
Last Post: Dorothy44