Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Waubonsee Community College
Waubonsee Community College
Waubonsee offers Self-Paced Open Entry courses via videos, textbooks, and study guides. Instructors are assigned to courses to help at the request of students. Students can finish coursework at their own pace as long as homework and exams are completed by the end of the semester. Some tests require proctoring.
Students can take up to two courses at the same time. There is an additional $35 class fee for self-paced open entry classes.

Visit Waubonsee Community College Today

In progress:
TESU - ASNSM ASBA, UNIR- Master Cyber Security
Completed:
TESU - BA Computer Science
[-] The following 2 users Like gams007's post:
  • nomaduser, rachel83az
Just FYI that WCC is one of quite a few American educational organisations that blocks many foreign IP addresses. Their website may not be functional for you without a VPN.
Online and Sync Online students pay in-district tuition rate of $132 per credit. Allowing in-district rates for even (as I understand it) international students is great. The cost per credit isn't great, though. It's only slightly less than ASU EA. The addition of various fees makes them more than ASU EA.

However, it appears that they have a HUGE number of classes (444 online for-credit courses) and many of those are ones that I haven't seen before in a self-paced and online format. If you find yourself needing RA credits and are trying to avoid redoing ones you've already completed, this isn't a bad place to look.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
The science labs might be especially useful - WCC has a good range of science courses.

I don't think there's been much demand for It on this board, but WCC also has a few good options for interpreting and transliterating, in case anyone has a personal interest (course codes begin with ITP).

This was a great find, gams007!
[-] The following 1 user Likes innen_oda's post:
  • rachel83az
(12-18-2020, 06:57 AM)innen_oda Wrote: Just FYI that WCC is one of quite a few American educational organisations that blocks many foreign IP addresses. Their website may not be functional for you without a VPN.

Unfortunate! I didn't realize this because I use a VPN as a matter of course. It is a bit silly that they allow international students but disallow international IPs.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(12-18-2020, 08:13 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Unfortunate! I didn't realize this because I use a VPN as a matter of course. It is a bit silly that they allow international students but disallow international IPs.

To WCC's credit (or at least, whomever they've hired to do their IT), their website at least hints that they're blocking you due to your IP. A large number of universities and colleges are blocking foreign IP addresses, but not even giving you any indication of this, leaving you to wonder if it's a problem on your end.

It's really quite dismaying to see because you'd want education, of all things, to be universal and openly accessible. But this is the world we live in.
  • rachel83az
Actually when CCs state that they accept international students, it means that the prospective students would have to sign up as though they're intending to move to the US for college. This would mean filling up the I-20 form, apply for the F1 students visa which requires showing proof of financial support like a letter from the bank showing you have a 200k bank balance and make 15k a month, etc., and eventually this person has to arrive in the US to get the F1 visa kicked off.

It's unlike applying for TESU or Sophia. So CCs are actually only good for citizens or PRs living in the country or abroad.

(12-18-2020, 08:13 AM)rachel83az Wrote: It is a bit silly that they allow international students but disallow international IPs.

It's more like they're silly to offer online courses and yet disallow connections from international IPs because there could be American citizens enrolled in these courses but living abroad.
[-] The following 1 user Likes celerius's post:
  • ss20ts
(12-18-2020, 09:10 AM)celerius Wrote: It's more like they're silly to offer online courses and yet disallow connections from international IPs because there could be American citizens enrolled in these courses but living abroad.

Indeed. In a world where distance education is becoming easier to both offer and undertake, and a pandemic panic is making travel difficult and expensive, where an American physically is shouldn't make a difference to their access to education.
  • rachel83az

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which college was recently disavowed? pluggingalong 5 291 04-01-2024, 06:58 PM
Last Post: Dnightowl
  Czech College Courses for 50+ in the US eriehiker 2 322 01-19-2024, 01:16 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  South Texas College CBE Construction, HVACR, & Electrician Technology Jonathan Whatley 2 423 12-09-2023, 05:25 AM
Last Post: ltw900rr
  College Mascots ItsNeverTheLionsYear 17 1,028 11-14-2023, 07:12 PM
Last Post: ItsNeverTheLionsYear
  Nichols College BS in Business Administration karehiro 25 3,399 04-02-2023, 02:27 PM
Last Post: JPN
  Snow College accelerated AS - review/help IReallyNeedADegree 43 3,132 03-21-2023, 08:58 AM
Last Post: Cofffeee
  What is the best college/option for me? ZKL111 20 2,188 03-17-2023, 02:23 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Age 55 and older discounts for online college? pluggingalong 4 833 03-06-2023, 12:58 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  South Texas College gams007 3 1,884 09-29-2022, 11:47 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Garden City Community College - $150/cr, books included rachel83az 1 658 08-25-2022, 08:17 PM
Last Post: dfrecore