Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Community College Student Needs Advice
Hi guys, I've been browsing these forums and had a few questions. Firstly, would any of the "Big 3" accept 80-90 credits from an accredited two-year institution in addition to CLEP credits?

Secondly, I'm currently studying Biotechnology at a two year school, and I plan to at least complete an A.S. in the subject. I'm in my early 30's, recently laid-off and really examining my options.

Thirdly, I've looked at Excelsior and TESC, and it looks as if I should be able to transfer all 62 of my A.S. credits towards a B.A. or B.S. in Biology. I'm a bit weary of continuing studies in Biology. I enjoy the subject matter, and I enjoy learning. However, I have a life to live, and I responsibilities to attend to. It seems as if a Doctorate degree in the subject is required to POSSIBLY make any real money. This situation leads to my last question.

How well respected are these degrees? If I wished to leave a Biotech position, and pursue Nuclear or Civil engineering, would a degree from a place like TESC give me a realistic chance of getting an engineering job? Thanks guys.
My son has an engineering decree that he received through Western Governor's State University -- he testing out of many classes which he already knew subject matter -- cost was reasonable and fully accredited. He works as an engineer for a large utility company -- pursued his decree after receiving two year associates with fifteen year break in time and then received BS in Engineering last term.
A.S. General Transfer Chattanooga State 2009
B.S.L.A. Thomas Edison State College June 7, 2013
33 CLEP
18 DSST
cmartel88 Wrote:Hi guys, I've been browsing these forums and had a few questions. Firstly, would any of the "Big 3" accept 80-90 credits from an accredited two-year institution in addition to CLEP credits?

Secondly, I'm currently studying Biotechnology at a two year school, and I plan to at least complete an A.S. in the subject. I'm in my early 30's, recently laid-off and really examining my options.

Thirdly, I've looked at Excelsior and TESC, and it looks as if I should be able to transfer all 62 of my A.S. credits towards a B.A. or B.S. in Biology. I'm a bit weary of continuing studies in Biology. I enjoy the subject matter, and I enjoy learning. However, I have a life to live, and I responsibilities to attend to. It seems as if a Doctorate degree in the subject is required to POSSIBLY make any real money. This situation leads to my last question.

How well respected are these degrees? If I wished to leave a Biotech position, and pursue Nuclear or Civil engineering, would a degree from a place like TESC give me a realistic chance of getting an engineering job? Thanks guys.
Can't comment on Nuclear Engineering, but look into any licensing requirements for civil engineers in your state, which would probably mean you would need your BS degree to be ABET certified. AFAIK, only the University of North Dakota offers ABET certified programs at a distance.

If you are still interested in biology, be sure to take both 2 physics courses(preferably calculus-based) with labs, and 2 organic chemistry courses with labs if you want to get into grad school for biology.
Yenisei Wrote:Can't comment on Nuclear Engineering, but look into any licensing requirements for civil engineers in your state, which would probably mean you would need your BS degree to be ABET certified. AFAIK, only the University of North Dakota offers ABET certified programs at a distance.

If you are still interested in biology, be sure to take both 2 physics courses(preferably calculus-based) with labs, and 2 organic chemistry courses with labs if you want to get into grad school for biology.

Excelsior has an ABET certified program for Nuclear Engineering, and Electrical as well. However, would I be correct in saying these degrees are primarily of use to mid-career adults who already have some experience in their field of study?
Quote:Excelsior has an ABET certified program for Nuclear Engineering, and Electrical as well. However, would I be correct in saying these degrees are primarily of use to mid-career adults who already have some experience in their field of study?

Yes...and military https://www.excelsior.edu/Excelsior_Coll...TECHNOLOGY
Excelsior - BS Business 2008
Son #1 TESC BSBA Computer Information Systems completed June 2010
Son #2 TESC BA Computer Science completed November 2010 Currently in Florida State (FSU) Masters CS program and loving it

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Study.com College Credits UnbreakablyDetermined 2 1,850 08-27-2018, 05:44 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 1,971 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU - apply as non-matriculating student, or TECEP only? Kelly Green 0 1,194 08-13-2018, 05:11 PM
Last Post: Kelly Green
  Intro + Degree advice, looking at TESU for multiple degrees, BSBA + BSAST coloradocale 14 4,153 08-02-2018, 08:53 PM
Last Post: coloradocale
  Excelsior College 47th Annual Commencement - 12 Year Old Graduate Life Long Learning 16 4,925 07-26-2018, 01:11 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  TESU Degree plan - advice needed please Tripletmom 9 2,129 06-28-2018, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Tripletmom
  Excelsior College awarded 245K for Advanced Nuclear Project Life Long Learning 1 1,220 06-25-2018, 09:28 AM
  Excelsior College ranked #1 Life Long Learning 11 3,394 06-21-2018, 07:57 PM
Last Post: miah
  A question about shmoop and Excelsior College literalkev 8 3,072 06-18-2018, 01:20 PM
Last Post: literalkev
  Does Excelsior College/Charter Oak accept TECEP vetvso 1 1,654 05-30-2018, 08:07 PM