Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just bought this laptop
https://deals.dell.com/en-us/productdetail/f9ze

Seems pretty solid, one of the top Ryzen 7 CPUs (wanted this over intel for power consumption/battery reasons), solid storage and RAM, USBC w/displayport + power.  On sale for $700, but if you have an Amex, check for a $120 statement credit from them, plus 2% from Rakuten.  All in all, after tax (heavy in my state) I should be out the door for about $605, which you really can't beat for the specs you get.
[-] The following 2 users Like spohara's post:
  • origamishuttle, vintage_jacket
Hmm, seems like a very good deal with the 16G RAM and the 512G SSD, I wouldn't recommend anything less than that nowadays... I was on SlickDeals just earlier and couldn't find a comparable deal, even though some laptops were close in price but with either an 8GB RAM or a smaller size screen at 13.3" instead. The CPU being AMD shouldn't be an issue for most apps, they perform well with graphical intensive applications such as CAD or games, I think this is very nice deal for the price!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(09-11-2022, 11:02 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Hmm, seems like a very good deal with the 16G RAM and the 512G SSD, I wouldn't recommend anything less than that nowadays... I was on SlickDeals just earlier and couldn't find a comparable deal, even though some laptops were close in price but with either an 8GB RAM or a smaller size screen at 13.3" instead.  The CPU being AMD shouldn't be an issue for most apps, they perform well with graphical intensive applications such as CAD or games, I think this is very nice deal for the price!

Yeah, hard to get those specs at that price.  And I wanted the AMD for its power consumption.  The comparable intel processor (although I think they do have a pretty beastly one now, I was comparing the 1260U) isn't even clearly better for all applications, so I'm happy with it. 16gigs should be standard now, its so cheap for memory, yet the price gap seems to be bigger than it should be by a long shot for most systems.  Even the 512 gig ssd shouldn't add more than $50 to the price, but it does.  I guess they just give you a lot more bells and whistles when you go above that.  Hard to do much better than this for the guts of the system though.  So far I'm pretty happy with it after using it for a little while now.
I'm thinking of this one
https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Legion-Gam...B09QM3QXV6

$879
Lenovo Legion 5
17.3" FHD Gaming Laptop,
AMD Ryzen 5 5600H(up to 4.2GHz),
16GB RAM
1TB NVMe SSD,
GeForce GTX 1650,
Windows 11

my current laptop is a 1050 ti, so this would be a small upgrade
and this is really getting close to my top budget
(09-20-2022, 09:09 AM)bluebooger Wrote: I'm thinking of this one                  

Lenovo Legion 5
17.3" FHD Gaming Laptop,
16GB RAM
1TB NVMe SSD,
GeForce GTX 1650,
Windows 11

Personally, I would look for at least a Ryzen 7.  If you can hold off, Best Buy typically has some great deals around Black Friday.  The last two years I have found laptops for around $500 - $600 with solid specs.  (We buy too many laptops in this house!)
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
yeah, but what kind of GPU do you have 

I wish I could get something that inexpensive with a half way decent graphics card             
I use my laptop for more than just work and school and playing around with programming           

I play Path of Exile (and my laptop already chokes on that), I play Diablo 2 Resurrected, Grim Dawn and a few other games -- nothing AAA with ray tracing and maxed out settings, but I'm already having problems on the games I do play

$879
Lenovo Legion 5
17.3" FHD Gaming Laptop,
16GB RAM
1TB NVMe SSD,
GeForce GTX 1650,
Windows 11

I wouldn't trust buying a Chinese brand for the risk of them spying on you. I wouldn't buy a Chinese Cell Phone either.

China is known for installing hardware hacks that can't be patched. 
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/...ify%20wall
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
Technically speaking, almost all computer related devices are made in Asia, the majority going to China and surrounding countries. All the major players of computer manufacturers have their development and factories in these countries, the cheaper/lower end would be built in the cheapest country for manufacturing, the higher end would be built in Taiwan, Korea, Japan.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

$879
Lenovo Legion 5
17.3" FHD Gaming Laptop,
16GB RAM
1TB NVMe SSD,
GeForce GTX 1650,
Windows 11

Is the H designation for a juiced up cpu? I saw the power consumption on one marked H and I said no thanks.  Same with the discrete GPU, but if gaming is your thing (or anything else where you need that kinda compute) seems like a solid buy.  I haven't been an enthusiast for a while, but last time I did a build a midrange CPU was fine with a good GPU. The other bottlenecks had more impact and it usually wasn't worth the money to go top of the market on CPU.  I used to OC and overvolt the desktops too though which I'm no longer interested in.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Walmart.com Student Entry Level Laptop bjcheung77 0 697 10-20-2020, 08:56 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Budget Gaming Laptop - Performance & Value bjcheung77 7 1,238 05-15-2020, 02:07 PM
Last Post: EvilSandman
  Sony Vaio 13.3" Laptop (New, Open Box) bricabrac 0 760 07-17-2015, 08:02 PM
Last Post: bricabrac
  PC Laptop Suggestions PonyGirl93 23 3,534 06-09-2010, 03:40 PM
Last Post: rickyjo
  Dell I1525-106W Laptop Advice Please Paul 6 1,656 06-09-2008, 09:33 AM
Last Post: goldpaws