Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'We must act! ... We will no longer exist'
Totally agree with this "Guy", yes, his name is Guy!  He's absolutely correct that we're at an environmental disaster or point of no return if we don't start or stop what we're doing to better the environment.  

I am so glad to read some people aren't buying tickets to win and splurge on themselves, this selflessness is awesome, I really applaud the "Guy!".

Link: Lottery winner uses nearly all of his $217 million prize to launch environmental charity: ‘We must act’ (msn.com)
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 4 users Like bjcheung77's post:
  • harrypotter, indigoshuffle, jsd, louise
I am of the totally opposite opinion
he just threw his money away
if he really wanted to do something for the environment he could have hired a bunch of homeless vets and paid them to plant trees where fires have burned thousands of acres in California and other areas
I'm not sure he wasted his money but I also really like your idea of planting trees.  I like the idea of re-establishing the natural ecosystem with indigenous plants, etc.  I'm not so interested in planting trees just to start a new cycle of burning.  I'm not sure there's enough water to support growing a million trees.  But the idea of accelerating the rebuilding of that environment seems a good idea.
To some degree, planting trees undoes the desertification of an area. And burning is necessary for the North American ecosystem. The US Parks Service is only just starting to realize this. The buildup of 100+ years of fallen leaves, etc., and the lack of burning is partially to blame for why California fires have been burning hotter and hotter and becoming even more destructive.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • louise, ss20ts
@bluebooger, I watched a movie "Breaking" which was originally named 892 and it's in regard to a true story of a Vet (Marine) who didn't get his VA benefits. He held up a bank, not to rob it, but to show his disdain towards the Dept of VA who hasn't sent him his benefits of just $892... Here's the wiki page, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breaking_(film)

I cried at the end of the movie, there was a note (5 years later since the incident was in 2017) that his family still hasn't gotten those benefits! OMG, I feel the government is like the largest legal gang... then the people who have the most power (army, military generals, etc), the police, and then you've got the smaller gangs in each city.

I thought, wow... if the Dept VA has a program for Vets or something similar, they can actually use the resources to help these who are in need and have provided services over the years to safeguard our country. Your suggestion is one part of many I also thought about, but alas, what can we really do?
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(09-19-2022, 11:17 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: OMG, I feel the government is like the largest legal gang...

If someone were to break down your door, put a gun to your head, and rob you.  Then you would probably think they are a bad person.

The government does this all the time, robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Not only does the government rob you, they always take a cut for themselves in administrative fees and waste.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
homeless vets planting trees LOL had a good laugh.
There are already AI based drones in the US and China that automatically plant trees that would be way more efficient than trying to get folks who generally have mental issues and drug addiction to do manual labor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkNdrTZ7CG4
TESU - BA CS
(09-22-2022, 03:58 AM)inf Wrote: homeless vets planting trees LOL had a good laugh.
There are already AI based drones in the US and China that automatically plant trees that would be way more efficient than trying to get folks who generally have mental issues and drug addiction to do manual labor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkNdrTZ7CG4

If the only goal was to plant trees then you might be correct but I believe that in the described scenario there were additional goals.  I'm sorry that you find that laughable.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Alpha's post:
  • rachel83az
Aside from whatever other goals the program might have, you need some sort of buy-in to get people to care about a thing. Using drones to seed-bomb a wide area can, indeed, quickly get plants growing in an area. But why should anyone care about what a nameless, faceless, drone does? It doesn't take any work to plant the trees & plants, so what does it matter if I (or someone else) rips them up again? They can just be replanted.

People tend to care more about things where they have an actual investment or where they can put an actual face to a situation. "Oh, yeah, Bob told me that his friend got recruited for this project. Very cool! I'm not going to disturb it."
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  15 companies that no longer require a college degree dfrecore 11 2,803 09-08-2018, 08:11 AM
Last Post: burbuja0512
  Likes no longer available? Thorne 30 5,618 07-06-2017, 07:59 AM
Last Post: BrandeX
  What licensing and education requirements exist in opening an adoption agency? soliloquy 2 1,091 08-13-2015, 08:49 AM
Last Post: AngelaP