Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Western Governor's (WGU) Course Question
Thanks for the WGU info. I was strongly considering WGU for my masters, the MS in Info Security Assurance. I even began collecting the books and began studying for the CCNA cert which is required.
I still might do this after my MBA is finished but I will most likely grab all of the certs that I can beforehand so I can finish in 6-12 months like previously mentioned. It would be really cool to finish in 6 months. Just to say I did it Smile
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
ryoder Wrote:Thanks for the WGU info. I was strongly considering WGU for my masters, the MS in Info Security Assurance. I even began collecting the books and began studying for the CCNA cert which is required.
I still might do this after my MBA is finished but I will most likely grab all of the certs that I can beforehand so I can finish in 6-12 months like previously mentioned. It would be really cool to finish in 6 months. Just to say I did it Smile

Welllllllllll, if you already had all of the certs (16 units by my estimation), you would still need to earn 20 more including 4 for your capstone project. As pointed out in a previous post, those other 20 units will involve lots and lots of writing. I don't know of a mechanism to get transfer credit for those other units.

The papers are graded by a third party service (TaskStream) based on rubrics provided by WGU. Several threads mostly from other programs on an internal WGU discussion board have complained about TaskStream, but I haven't had a problem with them, although feedback can be sparse. For example, a couple of my papers have had a point deducted for APA citing errors but specific feedback wasn't provided. I could have pressed the issue but never bothered. I read the assignment, study the grading rubric, and structure my assignment based on the rubric. I have almost always scored top or high marks (I did flub a leadership paper based on a faulty premise which carried throughout the paper. Once I fixed that and resubmitted, I received a good mark).

My course mentors have all had at least a master's degree and based on their presentations and a few conversations, everyone seemed knowledgeable about their respective subjects. My program mentor (more of an academic advisor than a subject matter expert) is very customer focused and we speak weekly about my progress, issues, questions, or whatever. If I need help, she'll make sure I'll get it.

I certainly think a 12 month time period would be possible.
MS Information Security and Assurance, Western Governors University
BA Natural Sciences/Mathematics, TESC

CLEP: American Government, U.S. History I; DSST: Astronomy, Environment and Humanity.
Masters programs generally don't allow testing out or transfer credits, this is an exception since the "final" is getting the certification. From what they have told me, there is nothing else.

@lumpylump Could you give some examples of things TaskStream looks for, would be good to have an idea of what they're looking for before I start (Feb is my plan, for the MS:ISA). I can normally crank out a 10-14 page paper in a couple hours, and have always gotten A's on my papers... but if there's a specific style they want that could cause some issues.
After my initial evaluation I see that their transfer policy isn't near as generous as the big 3. Anyway, can someone tell me how you have your proctored, objective exams done? Where do you find the proctor? Also what is involved in a performance assessment? I would have to do a minimum 8 proctored objective exams and 8 performance assessments plus obtain 3 IT certs and do 80 hours of a practicum to complete this process with WGU. I'm really not sure it is worth is for another bachelor's degree. I may end up doing a grad cert or post-bac cert instead.
Completed 2/09 - 5/13

RHIA Post-Bac Cert - Stephens - 5/13
MHA - Bellevue Univ - 3/12
BSHS - Excelsior 12/10
BSLS - Excelsior 3/10
ASLS - Excelsior 4/09

ECE - A&P - B
ECE - Found. of Gerontology - B
ECE - Ethics: Theory & Practice - B
ECE - Psych. of Adulthood & Aging - A
ECE - Social Psych. - B
ECE - Abnormal Psych. - B
ECE - HR Management - B
ECE - Research Methods of Psych. - B
ECE - Pathophysiology - A

CLEP - American Govt - 58
CLEP - Intro. to Sociology - 63
CLEP - A & I Lit - 70
DSST - Fund. of Counseling - A (65)
DSST - Org. Behavior - A (67)
DSST - Environment & Humanity - A (62)
DSST - Found. of Education - A (64)
DSST - Here's to Your Health - 461 (Pass)
DSST - Substance Abuse - 460 (Pass)
DSST - Principles of Supervision - A (61)
DSST - Lifespan Developmental Psych - A (59)
DSST - Criminal Justice - 443 (Pass)
DSST - MIS - 415 (Pass)
UExcel - Intro. to Psych (Beta)- Pass
ALEKS - College Alg, Stats
Straighterline - Medical Term, Pharmacology I & II
FEMA - PDS + more
WGU accepts DETC accredited degrees, so transferring an associates from Penn Foster is an option if you're looking for an undergraduate degree.

Transferring Credit to WGU | WGU Transcripts | Western Governors University Online
First, I graduated from WGU with a BS-IT Network Design and Management emphasis in March of 2011 in just 3 years (yeah, I am a slacker) while working between 60 and 104 hours a week as a network engineer supporting our troops as part of OEF. (breath...) Before choosing WGU, I too was considering the big 3, but WGU was just $2900 for a 6 month term, I could enroll in as many courses per term as I wanted at the same price, and ALL CERTIFICATION TESTS ARE PAID FOR AS PART OF YOUR TUITION (big savings).

Second, I used almost none of their preparation material. Besides the experience and knowledge I possessed before starting the porgram I used the following learning resources. The relavent material can be found for free on the internet. For the general education material I used InstantCert as my primary resource and YouTube and other educational video sharing sites and my secondary resource (I would recommend KhanAcademy now). For the IT certifications there are better sources such as TestOut, TrainSignal, CBT Nuggets or just search YouTube.

Third, Performance Assessments contain, in most cases, multiple scored tasks such as projects, essays, and research papers. Performance assessments contain detailed instructions and rubrics for completing each task and are submitted via TaskStream, an online project management and grading tool. (This portin is taken directly from the BS-IT NTDM program guide). The RUBRICS are very clear. If you meet the RUBRIC your assignment will pass. Objective exams or Essay exams are clear online tests that you can take at any proctored site (WGU is also testing a webcam monitored system that allows you to test from home). Certification exams are taken at the corresponding testing agency (Prometic or PearsonVue depending on the exam).

Fourth, Each course has a well thought out and documented Course of Study plan that will lead you by the hand to complete the course. (I used this resource for only two courses, one if which was the Capstone).

Fifth, You are assigned a Mentor whose sole responsibilty is to guide you toward completing your degree. Mine left me alone enough to be able to do my job, but was present enough to keep me focused when I inevitably became demotivatd by the various BS that encompasses the rest of life (and being in this war zone, 7700 miles away from my family, for the past 6 years creates plenty of opportunities to throw my hands up and give up). Don't underestimate this resource. I know we are all motivated, but the friendly reminder, the person who can get you in contact with someone or something to move you past whatever obsticle is impeding your progress is invaluable.

v/r

Brian "Red" Williamson
BSIT, CCNP, CCSP, MCSE, Proj+/Sec+/Net+/A+
MWCS-28 KAF
Network Engineer
Contractor: TeleCommunication Systems, Inc.

"TheMomma" account was created for my wife so that she can pursue her degree. My original account with InstantCert was "Songsmythe"
Thanks for the information.
I might end up doing the MS-ISA next year. I can't really afford a PhD right now and don't qualify for a single gub-mint program but my employer will pay for masters degrees so this one might be a good one for me. I intend to complete it in 12 months or less. Any longer and I will get bored Wink
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question regarding transfer credit courses jobojoe285 6 330 03-28-2024, 12:35 AM
Last Post: jobojoe285
  Western Governors University dewisant 10 1,482 03-17-2024, 02:31 AM
Last Post: nykorn
  Question about class line up for Software Engineering degree Omece 2 973 10-03-2023, 06:26 AM
Last Post: Omece
  Career Question, Business Management or Cyber Security? Oneautumn7 22 1,680 08-06-2023, 01:26 AM
Last Post: Oneautumn7
  WGU Alumni - Skillport Question jamshid666 10 2,851 04-13-2020, 02:40 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  WGU class difficulty question.... AwardTour 3 2,032 10-21-2019, 09:01 AM
Last Post: JoshDosMil
  BS IT Security at Western Governors University (WGU BSITSECU) Strategy help timmmay 19 6,001 01-12-2019, 07:24 PM
Last Post: timmmay
  WGU Term Start/Acceptance Question...... Toastmaster 14 3,940 09-22-2017, 10:21 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  WGU Credit Question jibtech 12 3,049 05-15-2017, 11:03 AM
Last Post: teacher2
  Western Governors University accounting program? jrmorgan2011 1 1,179 05-24-2016, 02:41 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77