Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Western Governors Univ. Question
I have seen several members post about WGU and I have a few questions. Is anyone a current or former student? What do you thing about WGU? How are their classes? Do they have a favorable credit transfer policy? Their website indicates they do, along with credit for work experience, but I'm always leary when I see that. Are their online classes well structured? Do they have a lot of busy work or a fair amount. I'm interested in any feedback anyone has about WGU. Thanks!
Completed 2/09 - 5/13

RHIA Post-Bac Cert - Stephens - 5/13
MHA - Bellevue Univ - 3/12
BSHS - Excelsior 12/10
BSLS - Excelsior 3/10
ASLS - Excelsior 4/09

ECE - A&P - B
ECE - Found. of Gerontology - B
ECE - Ethics: Theory & Practice - B
ECE - Psych. of Adulthood & Aging - A
ECE - Social Psych. - B
ECE - Abnormal Psych. - B
ECE - HR Management - B
ECE - Research Methods of Psych. - B
ECE - Pathophysiology - A

CLEP - American Govt - 58
CLEP - Intro. to Sociology - 63
CLEP - A & I Lit - 70
DSST - Fund. of Counseling - A (65)
DSST - Org. Behavior - A (67)
DSST - Environment & Humanity - A (62)
DSST - Found. of Education - A (64)
DSST - Here's to Your Health - 461 (Pass)
DSST - Substance Abuse - 460 (Pass)
DSST - Principles of Supervision - A (61)
DSST - Lifespan Developmental Psych - A (59)
DSST - Criminal Justice - 443 (Pass)
DSST - MIS - 415 (Pass)
UExcel - Intro. to Psych (Beta)- Pass
ALEKS - College Alg, Stats
Straighterline - Medical Term, Pharmacology I & II
FEMA - PDS + more
fair warning: I have not been to WGU, but have researched them quite a bit. My research has been focused on their M.S. program but overall they do seem to have a good transfer policy, in particular they have industry certs built into their programs so if you already have the cert.... you're done with that requirement (which is awesome! and practical!) Credit for work experience I don't know about but you can, for example, use an existing project from work to base your Master's capstone & defense. Again, pretty damn awesome if you ask me.

As to the actual class experience, I have no idea. I do know that they classes are watching lectures online and completing assignments at your own pace. You register for a six month block and then study at your own pace, as long as you get a minimum number of units completed you just keep on till your done.

Again, I haven't been there.... but they can expect my application in May :-)
B.S. Comp Studies - UMUC (May/2011)
Cert. Information Assurance - UMUC (May/2011)
Cert. Information & Network Security - UMBC Training Centers (June/2010)
A.A. Information Technology - Programming (May/2010)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEH, CHFI, Sec+, Linux+, iNet+, Project+, SCJP, SCWCD, CIW

"A job not worth doing is not worth doing well, but a job worth doing is worth doing right the first time."
A coworker of mine is foxing their MBA, he has been in it for a year and says he is reading case studies and writing about them. I haven't gotten a lot more info on it but i will ask him again for more details. He seems to like the format though. He says all the information you need is there for you in the books and online materials.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
I applied to them for their Master of Art in Teaching with licensure. I was extremly happy with the customer service of my enrollement counsilor and the evaluation team. I had to send them transcripts from everywhere and it cost and took time for them to get them, but once they had all I had an answer within 48 hours. I need 4 courses before I can enroll. They took everything that TESC took they just have specific course requirements I never took. You can download the requirements and see if you meet them. I mostly knew where I was lacking, but I was hoping to squeeze by. I am working on the prereqs and hope to enroll soon. I have seen little to no negative feedback most students seem happy there. The only negative I know of is that they do not reward you with Credit hours just competency units so they do not transfer out. I have never seen any complaints on the quality of the degree, just that if you start there you need to finish there.
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
Thanks for the feedback. I'm considering a post-bachelor's certificate that they offer, so I was interested in finding out more about them. I knew some on here would have something to say! Oh, about WGU I mean! LOL!
Completed 2/09 - 5/13

RHIA Post-Bac Cert - Stephens - 5/13
MHA - Bellevue Univ - 3/12
BSHS - Excelsior 12/10
BSLS - Excelsior 3/10
ASLS - Excelsior 4/09

ECE - A&P - B
ECE - Found. of Gerontology - B
ECE - Ethics: Theory & Practice - B
ECE - Psych. of Adulthood & Aging - A
ECE - Social Psych. - B
ECE - Abnormal Psych. - B
ECE - HR Management - B
ECE - Research Methods of Psych. - B
ECE - Pathophysiology - A

CLEP - American Govt - 58
CLEP - Intro. to Sociology - 63
CLEP - A & I Lit - 70
DSST - Fund. of Counseling - A (65)
DSST - Org. Behavior - A (67)
DSST - Environment & Humanity - A (62)
DSST - Found. of Education - A (64)
DSST - Here's to Your Health - 461 (Pass)
DSST - Substance Abuse - 460 (Pass)
DSST - Principles of Supervision - A (61)
DSST - Lifespan Developmental Psych - A (59)
DSST - Criminal Justice - 443 (Pass)
DSST - MIS - 415 (Pass)
UExcel - Intro. to Psych (Beta)- Pass
ALEKS - College Alg, Stats
Straighterline - Medical Term, Pharmacology I & II
FEMA - PDS + more
I'm currently a WGU student. I like the school but feel its growing at a very rapid pace and they cant keep up with the growth. Just my two cents though.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question regarding transfer credit courses jobojoe285 6 108 6 hours ago
Last Post: jobojoe285
  Western Governors University dewisant 10 1,393 03-17-2024, 02:31 AM
Last Post: nykorn
  Question about class line up for Software Engineering degree Omece 2 897 10-03-2023, 06:26 AM
Last Post: Omece
  Career Question, Business Management or Cyber Security? Oneautumn7 22 1,590 08-06-2023, 01:26 AM
Last Post: Oneautumn7
  WGU Alumni - Skillport Question jamshid666 10 2,813 04-13-2020, 02:40 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  WGU class difficulty question.... AwardTour 3 2,005 10-21-2019, 09:01 AM
Last Post: JoshDosMil
  BS IT Security at Western Governors University (WGU BSITSECU) Strategy help timmmay 19 5,927 01-12-2019, 07:24 PM
Last Post: timmmay
  WGU Term Start/Acceptance Question...... Toastmaster 14 3,897 09-22-2017, 10:21 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  WGU Credit Question jibtech 12 3,014 05-15-2017, 11:03 AM
Last Post: teacher2
  Western Governors University accounting program? jrmorgan2011 1 1,162 05-24-2016, 02:41 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77