Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Western Governors University
Is WGU even accredited? I keep looking and maybe I have lost my touch.
BA Liberal Arts in 2014 from Excelsior College. (Took 25 tests)
Certificate in Writing in 2018 from University of Washington.
Current: MA in Humanities from American Public University.
Have 180 hour TEFL/TESOL Advanced Cert from TEFL HERO.
Member of World Genius Directory. IQ 148 SD 15/IQ 151 SD 16.
Yes they are accredited, here's their accreditation page: https://www.wgu.edu/student-experience/l...ation.html
And here's the WIKI page for them too: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Go...University
Basically, I highly recommend attending their 'affiliate/endorsed' state institutions mentioned on the WIKI if you reside in one of those states...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(04-01-2023, 06:00 PM)dewisant Wrote: Is WGU even accredited? I keep looking and maybe I have lost my touch.

Yes, they are a RA school.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

(04-01-2023, 06:08 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Yes they are accredited, here's their accreditation page: https://www.wgu.edu/student-experience/l...ation.html
That was was first google response for typing in "WGU accreditation."
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 2 users Like MNomadic's post:
  • MFG, NotJoeBiden
(04-01-2023, 06:08 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Yes they are accredited, here's their accreditation page: https://www.wgu.edu/student-experience/l...ation.html
And here's the WIKI page for them too: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Go...University
Basically, I highly recommend attending their 'affiliate/endorsed' state institutions mentioned on the WIKI if you reside in one of those states...

If your address is one of those states, you don't really get the choice.  But other than one line on my diploma,  they don't matter at all.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Courcelles's post:
  • ss20ts
Hmm, that's cool, I always thought if you sign up with just WGU, it goes to the main campus and if you sign up with the affiliates, you'll be part of the affiliate instead... It really doesn't matter as long as you get the education you're looking for, with or without the endorsement from the state... Anyways, I remember way back in 2012, I got WGU to send me details on their programs, they've not changed the pricing much as it was $2,890/term back then. They sent me an info package by mail, very nicely done brochures and I really wanted to try their learning system but ultimately didn't go with them.

(04-03-2023, 07:10 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Hmm, that's cool, I always thought if you sign up with just WGU, it goes to the main campus and if you sign up with the affiliates, you'll be part of the affiliate instead... It really doesn't matter as long as you get the education you're looking for, with or without the endorsement from the state...  Anyways, I remember way back in 2012, I got WGU to send me details on their programs, they've not changed the pricing much as it was $2,890/term back then.  They sent me an info package by mail, very nicely done brochures and I really wanted to try their learning system but ultimately didn't go with them.

Yup, I think they may use your IP address somehow.  Anytime I go to WGU, it goes right to Ohio.  Even if I click on a direct link someone posted from a different state.  I don't think I ever gave them my address.  I've never applied there or anything.
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
(04-01-2023, 06:08 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Basically, I highly recommend attending their 'affiliate/endorsed' state institutions mentioned on the WIKI if you reside in one of those states...
Thanks to this comment I learned that the Washington branch gives a 5% tuition discount to people who graduated from a state community college. That's a $200 discount per term! I did graduate one.... back in 2010. Hope the discount is valid on Master's degrees.

Another difference in branches is in the Education degrees for licensure. Washington teacher education includes a mandatory specific Washington State History course which the Washington branch needs to teach and, say, Ohio residents don't take.
They've really been downplaying the state affiliations as of late. All of the "WGU [state]" social media accounts are defunct and they don't do the state specific diplomas anymore.
Current: WGU BS, Cybersecurity and Information Assurance (082/122 credits)
Done: Pierpont AAS, Board of Governors: Information Systems emphasis (awarded Dec 2022)
They're 'good enough' with or without the state endorsements, those 'offices' are small administrative offices and don't really do too much except that endorsement and 'extra' assistance for staff and students. Having said that, you should, if possible, take the state option instead of the main campus...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BS IT Security at Western Governors University (WGU BSITSECU) Strategy help timmmay 19 5,998 01-12-2019, 07:24 PM
Last Post: timmmay
  Western Governors University accounting program? jrmorgan2011 1 1,177 05-24-2016, 02:41 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Western Governors University IrishJohn 26 4,098 09-16-2014, 10:00 PM
Last Post: OE800_85
  Western Governors University - do you have any advice on head starts? wanderer168 0 790 06-26-2014, 11:56 PM
Last Post: wanderer168
  Western Governors University - My 2 year anniversary review publius2k4 5 1,320 11-03-2012, 05:53 PM
Last Post: ryoder
  Western Governors University Degree Plan gmagerr 0 820 07-07-2012, 09:02 AM
Last Post: gmagerr
  Western Governors University gmagerr 2 770 05-16-2012, 12:01 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Western governors' University - WGU - competency based? Experience or opinions? GoodYellowDogs 12 2,054 05-07-2012, 09:10 PM
Last Post: dcan
  Western Governor's (WGU) Course Question marianne202 16 3,511 12-11-2011, 07:37 PM
Last Post: ryoder
  Western Governors Univ. Question marianne202 5 1,337 09-13-2011, 05:42 PM
Last Post: dwilson