Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Western Governors assessments
Does anyone know if the WGU course assessment exams are anything like the CLEP or Dantes exams? If so, this seems to me to be viable option for completing their program on the fasttrack, as it pertains to any of their courses in which they do not accept CELP/Dantes. Since the WGU program is assessment-based you can take the final course assessment exams at any time you feel you are ready. And you can take as many within a six month prepaid term as you are capable of. Sounds kinda interesting, no?
Rob
PMP, ITIL, CCNA, CCNA Security, MCP, Master CIW, A+, Network +, Security+, iNet+, IT Project+
BS in Business Administration, Concentration in Information Technology (Magna Cum Laude: 3.81 GPA)
MS in Technology and Innovation, Specialization in Program and Project Delivery (in progress, expected 2012)
I am enrolling in WGU. You can take as many as you can finish but you have to have permission to take more than 12 classes. From what I have read, it can take a couple days to get approval and you have to approve each class over 12 cu's individually. I am hoping that instacert will help me thru the courses. I will let you know how it goes.
My son is enrolled at WGU and he has clepped before, as well as taken the evaluation exams for each of his classes. He states that the exams for the WGU courses are more like certification exams, especially in the technical courses. You take a pre-exam, study with their materials taking coursework and then take a final exam to get your course credit. Prometrix is their testing facility. He did not like the english course because there really wasn't any instruction. His software license courses have been more practical and he has enjoyed them. The final is a license test and he has found the coursework provided to him through WGU has prepared him well for those exams. Hope this helps answer your question.
A.S. General Transfer Chattanooga State 2009
B.S.L.A. Thomas Edison State College June 7, 2013
33 CLEP
18 DSST
The_Professor Wrote:Does anyone know if the WGU course assessment exams are anything like the CLEP or Dantes exams? If so, this seems to me to be viable option for completing their program on the fasttrack, as it pertains to any of their courses in which they do not accept CELP/Dantes. Since the WGU program is assessment-based you can take the final course assessment exams at any time you feel you are ready. And you can take as many within a six month prepaid term as you are capable of. Sounds kinda interesting, no?

Can you provide a link to this ?
I have heard of the school and even thought of taking their teaching degree but changed my mind when they only wanted to take 46 credits for transfer and no more.
So i was unaware they offered this. How does someone sign up for it?
How much does it cost?
[SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"][SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"][SIZE="4"][SIZE="4"][FONT="Arial Narrow"]"Oh, get a job? Just get a job? Why don't I strap on my job helmet, and squeeze down into a job cannon and fire off into job land, where jobs grow on jobbies!" Its always sunny in Philadelphia.

[SIZE="1"][FONT="Arial Narrow"]tesc credit banked
FEMA IS courses- alot

Aleks completed-many of them

Cleps:Spanish 67

Associates in psychology UOP
TESC BA in psychology[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

attempting currently
Masters in counseling
I called them yesterday and they tried enrolling me again in their school. I said hey stop it i just want to know about the assessment Big Grin , They said that the assessments are available but only for students that are pursuing a degree and if your degree doesnt require said test then no you may not take it.

The_Professor Wrote:Does anyone know if the WGU course assessment exams are anything like the CLEP or Dantes exams? If so, this seems to me to be viable option for completing their program on the fasttrack, as it pertains to any of their courses in which they do not accept CELP/Dantes. Since the WGU program is assessment-based you can take the final course assessment exams at any time you feel you are ready. And you can take as many within a six month prepaid term as you are capable of. Sounds kinda interesting, no?
[SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"][SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"][SIZE="4"][SIZE="4"][FONT="Arial Narrow"]"Oh, get a job? Just get a job? Why don't I strap on my job helmet, and squeeze down into a job cannon and fire off into job land, where jobs grow on jobbies!" Its always sunny in Philadelphia.

[SIZE="1"][FONT="Arial Narrow"]tesc credit banked
FEMA IS courses- alot

Aleks completed-many of them

Cleps:Spanish 67

Associates in psychology UOP
TESC BA in psychology[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

attempting currently
Masters in counseling
I have been at WGU for about 5 months and I really like it. It really is a school where you can test out of a lot of classes very quickly. I have managed to accumulate 45 credits this semester working full-time and plan to be finished with my degree in Septemeber 2010. The assessments are a lot like cleps, the only difference is that you have a good idea what exactly to study. You are given a course of study which is a study guide. It is basically a list of questions that you need to know to complete the exam. The course of study tells you what books to read and you get acces to other learning resources such as skillsoft, thinkwell, etc. You are required to take an online non proctored preassesment before taking the final assessment. I have found that the majority of the questions were related to the final assessment. Typically, they don't have the same questions. The preassessment and the final assessment are both multiple choice. For most exams, I have studied the course of study and the preassesment questions for 2 weeks and passed all exams with flying colors. It is very important that you know all the concepts on the preassessments. Meaning that you should not only know the right answer but why all the other answer are wrong as most of the new questions on the final are related to the other incorrect answers listed.
If that's the case it seems quite possible to finish their Masters programs in 1 year or less for those who are motivated to do so. Very interesting.
TESC AA
TESC BA June 2010

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Western Governors University dewisant 10 1,393 03-17-2024, 02:31 AM
Last Post: nykorn
  Performance assessment versus objective assessments jb0433 1 1,158 04-06-2022, 03:18 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  BS IT Security at Western Governors University (WGU BSITSECU) Strategy help timmmay 19 5,927 01-12-2019, 07:24 PM
Last Post: timmmay
  Western Governors University accounting program? jrmorgan2011 1 1,162 05-24-2016, 02:41 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Western Governors University IrishJohn 26 4,016 09-16-2014, 10:00 PM
Last Post: OE800_85
  Western Governors University - do you have any advice on head starts? wanderer168 0 778 06-26-2014, 11:56 PM
Last Post: wanderer168
  Western Governors University - My 2 year anniversary review publius2k4 5 1,299 11-03-2012, 05:53 PM
Last Post: ryoder
  Western Governors University Degree Plan gmagerr 0 808 07-07-2012, 09:02 AM
Last Post: gmagerr
  Western Governors University gmagerr 2 758 05-16-2012, 12:01 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Western governors' University - WGU - competency based? Experience or opinions? GoodYellowDogs 12 2,004 05-07-2012, 09:10 PM
Last Post: dcan