Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Western Illinois University
HI,

I do not know much about Excelsior and Thomas Edison, only that they provide a degree through exams and prior learning.

I have been taking CLEPs to complete my associates degree through my community college. While searching online and speaking to friends, I found out that Western Illinois University offers a Board of Trustees Bachelor of Arts degree. You can completely test out of all your classes through this degree. They also offer credit through a prior learning portfolio. You never need to step foot on the campus. It is 3 hours from me and I still don't want to go there. Western is a highly respected University in Illinois. It is not on the scale of University of Illinois Champain, but it is in the top state schools.

The only downside I can find is that you cannot declare a major. You can declare a minor.

If you are interested in looking at another option their website is http://www.wiu.edu/qc/catalog/bot.shtml
[SIZE="1"]32 traditional credit hours (in 1990) began again by testing in April 2006. CLEP Am. Gov. - CLEP US Hist I - CLEP Am. Lit. CLEP Human Growth - CLEP US Hist II- CLEP CIS - CLEP English Lit - May '07 Associates Degree - registered at Eastern Illinois University - DSST Drug Abuse - CLEP Bio - CLEP Spanish - DSST Civil War - DSST Intro to Law Enforcement
[/SIZE]
It looks like an interesting program, but I don't agree with your statement that it can be tested out of 100%. My primary concern is the line that states you must have 30 credits from WIU, though perhaps they have challenge tests. Even if they do have challenge tests that they consider WIU credit it would be unusual for those tests to be online. I suppose it's also possible that the PLA is considered WIU credit, but from the little I've read about PLA at other schools it wouldn't be easy to get 30 credits via this method. The other concern I have is the lab requirement for science. I doubt any exam would count as a lab. So.. I don't think this is a degree that can be 100% test out like a degree from Excelsior, Thomas Edison, or Charter Oak may be, but this certainly is a very flexible program.

Another IL program that I've seen mentioned recently is the BA from DePaul University http://www.snlonline.net/index.asp, it looks like you may be able to test out of many of the requirements, but not all.

And to pitch my own states programs, Indiana also has a very flexible distance program.

"You can use a variety of options for earning credit toward your degree. These options include credit by examination, credit for self-acquired competency, and military service credit. And if at some time in the past you started your college education elsewhere, you may be able to transfer your credits to Indiana University."

http://scs.indiana.edu/undergraddegrees/...grees.html

Indiana has the same 30 credits from our school policy that WIU has.
BLS CIS & Psychology Excelsior, MS IT & MS IM Aspen University, Pursuing MBA Columbia Southern.
Good posts. For it to count on the same level as Excelsior, Charter Oak, or Thomas Edison, you'd definitely need to be able to complete the degree entirely by examination without even being in the same state.
--
Steve
Webmaster, InstantCert.com
siersema Wrote:Indiana has the same 30 credits from our school policy that WIU has.

You'll find that the vast majority of schools have some kind of "in-house" requirement. It's usually 30 credits, but many schools require even more.
My name is Rob

Total Credits: 142 (12 not used).
[SIZE=1]GPA: 4.0
[/SIZE]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  For Sale: Young Online University in California bjcheung77 19 2,425 09-26-2023, 10:18 AM
Last Post: elcastor21
  Abide University Honorary Doctors Degree bjcheung77 0 542 07-07-2023, 02:17 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Having a dilemma about University Personherebb9 12 1,860 06-07-2023, 06:09 PM
Last Post: IReallyNeedADegree
  What is the difference between College and University (USA) Personherebb9 8 1,285 12-29-2022, 05:39 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  University / Colleges with Grammarly? msa145 1 722 12-18-2022, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Vle045
Exclamation Boston University Doctors Create New COVID Variant that Has 80% Kill Rate LevelUP 10 1,044 10-20-2022, 03:34 PM
Last Post: inf
  American University Alpha 1 554 08-26-2022, 04:36 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  University Biologist Resigns Alpha 5 809 08-10-2022, 05:51 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Canadian University looking to fill a niche position... bjcheung77 0 504 04-26-2022, 03:47 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Reese’s University Vle045 0 645 02-17-2022, 04:28 PM
Last Post: Vle045