Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wgu mba how is it?
I am about to start on the wgu mba. I have heard it's relatively easy, just lots of writing? How true is thi?

I have 8 years banking experience, is a lot of the material straightforward or would be relatively easy?

Thoughtsort and opinions?
They have changed things up and added exams my review is here http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...eview.html
It's getting kind of old now.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
Inspired by rebel100, I also made a thread on the Healthcare Management track here: http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...going.html

However, mine is also dated as it's under the old model.

One thing that concerns me about your post is that you mention that you've "heard it's relatively easy, just lots of writing". I think you may be underestimating what "just lots of writing" entails. Yes, some of it is pretty easy if you already have experience with the concepts presented. If not, you're going to have a tough time attempting to "just write" your way through.

What are your goals and what's your background? Are you interested in WGU solely because of your perception that it's going to be an "easy" MBA?

dmjacobsen http://donaldjacobsen.com
Author, nurse, and all-around awesome guy
MSN Executive Leadership - The University of Memphis - 2016
MBA Healthcare Management - Western Governors University - 2015
And, of course, Mednat showed us all how to do the modern version of the WGU MBA in this thread....http://www.degreeforum.net/graduate-scho...ience.html
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
I wouldn't use the word easy to describe it. It can be done quickly, in a flexible fashion however it is certainly A LOT of work. I'm 100% happy with the program for my needs. If you're mid career professional who can self-motivate and self-learn that mostly needs a masters to progress, WGU provides an awesome option.
Currently studying for: Still deciding.

Done!
2020 - Harvard Extension School - ALM IT Management 
2019 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Data Science
2018 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Cyber Security
2016 - WGU - MBA Mgmt & Strategy
2015 - Thomas Edison State College - BSBA Marketing & CIS
I'm in the middle of the WGU MBA program now and what mednat says is dead on.

I've banged out 5 classes since March 1st this year but that's because they were topics with which I am very familiar and nerd out on regularly.
Right now I'm doing Financial Management and that may slow the freight train since I'm an operations / organizational management geek, not a financial one.

For this MBA to seem "easy", you need to be very comfortable with APA papers, objective tests, written projects, video projects, powerpoint, understanding/achieving goals as stated in the rubrics and developing a schedule to complete work while living your own life. (good luck with that last one - it's my personal arch nemesis). Oh yeah, and convincing your mentor to unlock your classes/assessments on your schedule - I'm not used to answering to anyone about my goals so this is a strange one for me but it's working out the way I need it so...whatevs.
-Dina
DBA - researching options currently (if you have any wisdom to share, please do!)
MBA - Management & Strategy, WGU, July 2016
BSBA - Operations Management, TESU, Sept. 2015
AAS - Dietetic Technology, Middlesex County College, May 1999
passit1 Wrote:I'm in the middle of the WGU MBA program now and what mednat says is dead on.

I've banged out 5 classes since March 1st this year but that's because they were topics with which I am very familiar and nerd out on regularly.
Right now I'm doing Financial Management and that may slow the freight train since I'm an operations / organizational management geek, not a financial one.

For this MBA to seem "easy", you need to be very comfortable with APA papers, objective tests, written projects, video projects, powerpoint, understanding/achieving goals as stated in the rubrics and developing a schedule to complete work while living your own life. (good luck with that last one - it's my personal arch nemesis). Oh yeah, and convincing your mentor to unlock your classes/assessments on your schedule - I'm not used to answering to anyone about my goals so this is a strange one for me but it's working out the way I need it so...whatevs.

We should add a link to your excellent thread on the topic...I think about your success often and have even shared it lately with a colleague...don't know why your story didn't come right to mind. Smile
AS in EMS August 2010

rebel100 Wrote:We should add a link to your excellent thread on the topic...I think about your success often and have even shared it lately with a colleague...don't know why your story didn't come right to mind. Smile

Well, shucks! [Image: t1807.gif]
-Dina
DBA - researching options currently (if you have any wisdom to share, please do!)
Ok thank you for all the heads up. I have 8 years banking experience, so I am fairly confident in the subjects already. I just need the MBA on my resume to reach to branch manager level (very competitive small financial institution).

So, I submitted my resume, set up my wgu, applied free of charge thank you to my enrollment counselor, and just sent off for official transcripts from last institution. I plan to start Sept 1.

My goal is to finish by Jan 15. Quick question, I heard there may be an option to go to testing sites to take exams? I would much prefer this as the ruckus of my home may interfere with my ability to focus. Also I would find it nerve wracking having a website cam staring at me. So is the Web cam option for tests optional, and I can go to a nearby testing center? I tried google to see jeered one was I heard like community colleges , but did not find anything specific.

Thank you
There might be a test center option but why pay the extra fee? WGU provides a webcam with a mic and Examity is super easy as far as online proctoring. If you have challenges carving out less than an hour for a test at home how will you take pre assessments, study and write papers?
-Dina