Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wgu msml
Anyone know the assignment breakdown for the MSML? Like the courses that have only a test? Only a paper? Multiple items?
(06-02-2019, 05:57 PM)Johmford Wrote: Anyone know the assignment breakdown for the MSML? Like the courses that have only a test? Only a paper? Multiple items?

Here you go...
  • C200 - Managing Organizations and Leading People (PA)
  • C202 - Managing Human Capital (OA)
  • C203 - Becoming an Effective Leader (PA)
  • C201 - Business Acumen (OA)
  • C204 - Management Communication (PA)
  • C205 - Leading Teams (PA)
  • C206 - Ethical Leadership (PA)
  • C207 - Data-Driven Decision Making (PA, OA)
  • C208 - Change Management and Innovation (PA, OA)
  • C209 - Strategic Management (PA)
  • C210 - MS ML Capstone (PA)
OA (Objective Assessment) = Exam (single exam)
PA (Performance Assessment) = Papers, Projects, and Presentations (usually 2-4 tasks)

So a few of the courses require a single exam, but none of them will require a single paper. Most PA courses with papers will require 2 or 3 papers. Two courses require an exam plus 2 papers/projects.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
Can anyone tell me if business acumen or change management and innovation OA are difficult?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Johmford's post:
  • GoodYellowDogs
(06-02-2019, 10:18 PM)Johmford Wrote: Can anyone tell me if business acumen or change management and innovation OA are difficult?

These are master's level courses, so none of them are a cakewalk unless you already have significant domain experience. That applies to the OA's as well as the PA's. For OA exams, you must take a pre-exam test before the actual exam which gives you an idea of how well-prepared you are for it. Your program mentor or the course instructor won't open the actual exam unless you pass the pre-exam by a bit of a margin above competent. The results of the pre-exam can be used to give you an idea of the areas where you need to focus your studies.

My MBA program shares a number of courses with the MSML, and I've found that for most of them my business experience fills in part of the gaps and the rest I can generally pick up pretty quickly between the materials provided in the course of study and stuff I find on the web. I've been completing most courses in under two weeks.

I cannot comment on those two specific courses since they are not in my program. You can do a search on the /r/WGU subreddit to get some feedback from other folks who have taken the course. That is usually what I do before I start a course to get a handle on what to expect.

FYI, for people without experience in the subject, most courses are intended to be completed in 6-8 weeks, assuming you're putting in about 20 hours a week and focusing on one course at a time.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:

WGU Ambassador
(06-03-2019, 02:57 AM)Merlin Wrote:
(06-02-2019, 10:18 PM)Johmford Wrote: Can anyone tell me if business acumen or change management and innovation OA are difficult?

These are master's level courses, so none of them are a cakewalk unless you already have significant domain experience. That applies to the OA's as well as the PA's. For OA exams, you must take a pre-exam test before the actual exam which gives you an idea of how well-prepared you are for it. Your program mentor or the course instructor won't open the actual exam unless you pass the pre-exam by a bit of a margin above competent. The results of the pre-exam can be used to give you an idea of the areas where you need to focus your studies.

My MBA program shares a number of courses with the MSML, and I've found that for most of them my business experience fills in part of the gaps and the rest I can generally pick up pretty quickly between the materials provided in the course of study and stuff I find on the web. I've been completing most courses in under two weeks.

I cannot comment on those two specific courses since they are not in my program. You can do a search on the /r/WGU subreddit to get some feedback from other folks who have taken the course. That is usually what I do before I start a course to get a handle on what to expect.

FYI, for people without experience in the subject, most courses are intended to be completed in 6-8 weeks, assuming you're putting in about 20 hours a week and focusing on one course at a time.
I have already completed the WGU MBA, some courses in my opinion were easy. 

Hopefully someone who has taken them can compare the difficulty to some of the other courses like DDDM to help determine the level of difficulty
(06-03-2019, 05:36 AM)Johmford Wrote: I have already completed the WGU MBA, some courses in my opinion were easy. 

Hopefully someone who has taken them can compare the difficulty to some of the other courses like DDDM to help determine the level of difficulty

Okay, I thought that was the case but I couldn't remember for sure. Didn't you use to have your degrees listed in your signature? Had I realized that earlier I wouldn't have wasted either of our time explaining the general info. Either way, it may be useful for someone else coming in new to the program or school.

I think you'd have better luck getting details about those courses via the WGU subreddit since there don't appear to be many people on this forum who have completed the MSML. I nearly went that direction instead of going with the MBA-ITM, which is the main reason why I know the courses and OA/PA breakdown. Though asking others for difficulty assessment is always iffy considering we all have different backgrounds, experience, ability to absorb knowledge, and time available to study. I found some of the MBA courses easy as well (I passed C202 in a day and two other courses in a week), but that is only because of my background

I also considered getting the MBA and MSML, but getting two closely aligned business master's degrees didn't seem like it would add much value. My perspective is that if I'm going to go for another master's degree, it should be in a completely different subject. If I come back for another business degree, I think I'll likely aim for a doctoral degree instead. It sounds like WGU is working on that, so who knows. Smile

Complete:

WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • mysonx3
See this thread, good information on the degree (& it compared to the MBA) - https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ress-Share
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UMPI MAOL vs WGU MSML? Jwheels27 29 4,884 06-04-2023, 04:13 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Starting my WGU MSML Oct 1st mohelena02 33 5,032 04-06-2023, 07:30 AM
Last Post: Imbanewbie
  WGU MSML and MBA Sb2013 11 1,789 03-06-2023, 01:17 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Accepted into WGU MSML and UTPB MBA mohelena02 11 1,530 08-28-2022, 08:46 AM
Last Post: Cowabunga Dude
  WGU MSML vs UMPI MOAL vs UMass MOAL mohelena02 4 1,789 06-20-2022, 12:40 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  Switching from MBA to MSML program wgu? Mikevalek 11 6,837 07-20-2021, 02:15 PM
Last Post: eLearner
  Does WGU give a discount for getting an MBA if you already have an MSML? Clepking100 6 1,346 04-07-2021, 01:48 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Battle of the MAOL/MSML - Brief Comparison bjcheung77 9 2,253 04-04-2021, 08:29 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  Recent wgu msml review - 6 month masters Clepking100 4 2,255 02-27-2021, 04:39 PM
Last Post: Clepking100
  Headstart on WGU MSML Clepking100 2 1,315 08-20-2020, 03:44 AM
Last Post: Merlin