Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What’s in a Name? An Enrollment Increase, When a College Becomes a University
What’s in a Name? An Enrollment Increase, When a College Becomes a University
https://www.chronicle.com/article/whats-...university

Do you prefer college or university?  Does it matter?
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
Fun fact: in many countries, all higher education institutes are universities and all the first level divisions/departments are colleges. So, you will have Macaroni's University (for example), and many colleges inside (Engineering College, Medecine College, ... etc).
[-] The following 1 user Likes Holmes's post:
  • Vle045
Lots of universities do that within the US as well, but it's not standardized.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
I remember back in my college years (early 90’s) being told universities have graduate degrees, colleges don’t. That seemed true because that truly did reflect the differences within the area. Each of the colleges eventually changed their names to university once they added graduate programs. Since then, I have seen otherwise…. So now I am confused again. LOL
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
(03-25-2022, 07:21 AM)Vle045 Wrote: I remember back in my college years (early 90’s) being told universities have graduate degrees, colleges don’t.  That seemed true because that truly did reflect the differences within the area.   Each of the colleges eventually changed their names to university once they added graduate programs.  Since then, I have seen otherwise…. So now I am confused again. LOL

My favorite example is Boston College.  They have a number of grad programs, including doctoral degrees
https://www.bc.edu/
Of course, they couldn't change their name, even if they wanted to, because there's already a Boston University
https://www.bu.edu/
(03-25-2022, 07:21 AM)Vle045 Wrote: I remember back in my college years (early 90’s) being told universities have graduate degrees, colleges don’t.  That seemed true because that truly did reflect the differences within the area.   Each of the colleges eventually changed their names to university once they added graduate programs.  Since then, I have seen otherwise…. So now I am confused again. LOL

Alpha pointed out the most prominent exception, and there are a few others, but what you describe is close enough to serve as a rule of thumb for the U.S.
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
18 doctoral level semester-hours in Business Administration, Baker College
In progress: EdD in Educational Leadership, Manhattanville College

More at https://stevefoerster.com
(03-25-2022, 07:55 AM)Alpha Wrote:

My favorite example is Boston College.  They have a number of grad programs, including doctoral degrees
https://www.bc.edu/
Of course, they couldn't change their name, even if they wanted to, because there's already a Boston University
https://www.bu.edu/

Dartmouth College has graduate programs. It is also in the Ivy League. I have a feeling that one would be the last to change its name...

Or Colleges offering MBAs:

I remember seeing Wayne State College offering their MBA, maybe 13 years ago:

https://www.wsc.edu/mba
In Canada (where I live) and many Commonwealth countries, "college" means community/technical college.  It is common to ask kids if they would like to  attend a college or university as those would lead to different careers.  A local saying "I go to college" means they are pursuing some type of technical diploma or certificate whereas "I go to university" means they are pursuing a bachelors degree. 

In the US,  college vs university is interchangeable.  It's also common to just say "I go to college" and it means the same thing as going to university.

100% sure that the average Canadian will think Dartmouth "College" and the  "College" of William and Mary are technical or prep schools.  I remember a post in another board where a Canadian complained that his William and Mary "College" degree is taken less seriously in the job market than the local community colleges like Seneca.  It sounded very accurate to me.  LOL
[-] The following 2 users Like smartdegree's post:
  • Jonathan Whatley, Pikachu
(04-06-2022, 02:57 PM)smartdegree Wrote: I remember a post in another board where a Canadian complained that his William and Mary "College" degree is taken less seriously in the job market than the local community colleges like Seneca.  It sounded very accurate to me.  LOL

Canadian community colleges have also been moving away from "College!" Some in Ontario got their legal names changed from "College" to "Institute of Technology and Advanced Learning." Many now do a lot of branding under their unmodified name. Canadians will see a billboard or TV ad for "Seneca," "Humber," etc., and be assumed to know it's a college, or at least figure out it's a higher education institution. You know their administrators are dreaming of University status.

I wonder how many institutions have ever gone from University to College. Ashworth College est. 2000 becames Ashworth University sometime later in the 2000s or 10s but then became Ashworth College again (DEAC, same owners as Penn Foster, and later they retired their master's degrees).

Lind University in Illinois est. 1857 became Lake Forest University, then evolved to focus on undergraduate liberal arts and became Lake Forest College in 1965.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jonathan Whatley's post:
  • smartdegree

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  American Public University? nomaduser 36 3,454 04-16-2024, 12:15 PM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Prompt Engineering Course by Vanderbilt University on Coursera LevelUP 2 327 03-23-2024, 05:28 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Graham School - University of Chicago Charles Fout 12 1,745 03-22-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 22 1,769 03-15-2024, 05:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Eastern University Self-Paced online Degrees natshar 2 748 03-06-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: jumlouh
  University of Idaho acquiring University of Phoenix bjcheung77 10 1,314 03-04-2024, 06:26 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  University of California System Bans Fully Online Degrees davewill 23 3,767 03-01-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  LLB University of London Online newdegree 1 405 02-28-2024, 01:46 PM
Last Post: freeloader
  Is online college easier now? Vle045 21 1,185 02-26-2024, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  People Who Regret Their College Majors Are Sharing What Their Major Was LevelUP 22 1,539 02-26-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: jsd