Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Did I Do to Myself? I Blame IC!
Ok, so I landed here 3 yrs ago just to finish my AS degree. You can tell I have progressed through the ranks and will finish my Master's in 7 weeks. I thought that would be it, but then I got the brilliant idea a few months ago to pursue a post-bacc certificate which would enable me to sit for a specialty certification. So I looked around and chose a very selective school with a great program with some of the highest pass rates for the exam. I started the program last week, probably a bad idea to double up these first few months, but I thought what the heck, it is only 4 classes at a time. Now my first grades for week 1 are starting to post and while I did 97% & 93% on two assignments and 100% on a few others, I bombed a simple assignment by only getting a 70%! The worst grade so far in the last 3 years! OMG! What have I done to myself?

Maybe I should have quit while I was ahead. I have a 3.97 GPA in my MHA so this has me so upset. The worst part is that this is undergrad work in a subject that I know forwards and backwards and have been teaching and doing for 15 years. I guess I thought this wouldn't be too difficult and I'm shocked by the grading. The professor doesn't have a grading rubric and I haven't received any feedback for the low grade to know what I did wrong. If IC didn't make me feel like I want to rack up all the degrees and credentials that I could possibly need, and that I was capable of doing it, I would have quit with my AS degree! So I guess I should blame IC and this forum for making me think I was educationally invincible! LOL! Seriously, I'm wondering if I made the right choice to continue on for another credential. I did it because along with the MHA I will be at a terminal degree level for teaching at the university level, which is my dream / goal. But maybe I have met my match and I worry that it will be my undoing and ruin my good GPA's I have worked so hard for during the last 3 years.

Ok, I'm done with my rant, but just a warning for anyone who falls under the IC spell of more degrees/certs/credentials is better...just say no!:ack: It is a hard addiction to break!
Completed 2/09 - 5/13

RHIA Post-Bac Cert - Stephens - 5/13
MHA - Bellevue Univ - 3/12
BSHS - Excelsior 12/10
BSLS - Excelsior 3/10
ASLS - Excelsior 4/09

ECE - A&P - B
ECE - Found. of Gerontology - B
ECE - Ethics: Theory & Practice - B
ECE - Psych. of Adulthood & Aging - A
ECE - Social Psych. - B
ECE - Abnormal Psych. - B
ECE - HR Management - B
ECE - Research Methods of Psych. - B
ECE - Pathophysiology - A

CLEP - American Govt - 58
CLEP - Intro. to Sociology - 63
CLEP - A & I Lit - 70
DSST - Fund. of Counseling - A (65)
DSST - Org. Behavior - A (67)
DSST - Environment & Humanity - A (62)
DSST - Found. of Education - A (64)
DSST - Here's to Your Health - 461 (Pass)
DSST - Substance Abuse - 460 (Pass)
DSST - Principles of Supervision - A (61)
DSST - Lifespan Developmental Psych - A (59)
DSST - Criminal Justice - 443 (Pass)
DSST - MIS - 415 (Pass)
UExcel - Intro. to Psych (Beta)- Pass
ALEKS - College Alg, Stats
Straighterline - Medical Term, Pharmacology I & II
FEMA - PDS + more
Update: My new teacher agreed that the instructors were not clear and they didn't provide a rubric. I was allowed to redo the low assignment and received a 100%! I'm feeling better about this addiction now! This addiction is a slipperly slope as it can make us take on more than we can handle. I'm actually registered to take another ECE in a month, so onward and upward we go. Maybe we need to start an IC 12-step program!
Completed 2/09 - 5/13

RHIA Post-Bac Cert - Stephens - 5/13
MHA - Bellevue Univ - 3/12
BSHS - Excelsior 12/10
BSLS - Excelsior 3/10
ASLS - Excelsior 4/09

ECE - A&P - B
ECE - Found. of Gerontology - B
ECE - Ethics: Theory & Practice - B
ECE - Psych. of Adulthood & Aging - A
ECE - Social Psych. - B
ECE - Abnormal Psych. - B
ECE - HR Management - B
ECE - Research Methods of Psych. - B
ECE - Pathophysiology - A

CLEP - American Govt - 58
CLEP - Intro. to Sociology - 63
CLEP - A & I Lit - 70
DSST - Fund. of Counseling - A (65)
DSST - Org. Behavior - A (67)
DSST - Environment & Humanity - A (62)
DSST - Found. of Education - A (64)
DSST - Here's to Your Health - 461 (Pass)
DSST - Substance Abuse - 460 (Pass)
DSST - Principles of Supervision - A (61)
DSST - Lifespan Developmental Psych - A (59)
DSST - Criminal Justice - 443 (Pass)
DSST - MIS - 415 (Pass)
UExcel - Intro. to Psych (Beta)- Pass
ALEKS - College Alg, Stats
Straighterline - Medical Term, Pharmacology I & II
FEMA - PDS + more
I'm glad that things are working out, but I think the "problem" with IC is that your learning depends on one person: YOU. When you start to get professors in the mix, most of the time it can be a positive addition. After all, now you have someone to help you with your work. However, when assignments aren't clear, professors aren't helpful, textbooks are forced rather than chosen, it can make things tough.

YOU were extremely efficient in the undergrad. Now there are other factors in the mix to slow you down. It is kind of a bummer, but unfortunately the only way to get advanced education. Hang in there and don't let the little setbacks get you down.

Keep the addiction! Education is a great "hobby" and way to fill your spare time. After all, you can't improve your resume by watching American Idol Wink
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
burbuja0512 Wrote:I'm glad that things are working out, but I think the "problem" with IC is that your learning depends on one person: YOU. When you start to get professors in the mix, most of the time it can be a positive addition. After all, now you have someone to help you with your work. However, when assignments aren't clear, professors aren't helpful, textbooks are forced rather than chosen, it can make things tough.

YOU were extremely efficient in the undergrad. Now there are other factors in the mix to slow you down. It is kind of a bummer, but unfortunately the only way to get advanced education. Hang in there and don't let the little setbacks get you down.

Keep the addiction! Education is a great "hobby" and way to fill your spare time. After all, you can't improve your resume by watching American Idol Wink

Scarlet is the new queen. This is the best post all year. Smile
cookderosa Wrote:Scarlet is the new queen. This is the best post all year. Smile

Awwww Jennifer you are too sweet Thank you!!! Smile
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
Don't you hate it when you type up a complete hijack of a thread and then just erase it?
Anyway, good for you!
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science