Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Happens When You Go Over 90 Credits?
It it is well known that TESU only accepts 90 credits from Study.com, Sophia, Davar, etc. Also, they only accept 80 from Community College. So what happens when you transfer over more? Like, say I transfer in enough study.com credit so it equals over 90, will they just stop accepting it entirely, or will remove some previous evaluated as "other credit" and transfer in the new credit that meets program requirements.

Another situation, let's say I wait to send my transcripts and transfer a long list of transfer credit from study.com that would put me over the 90 credit limit. In this case, how would TESU choose which ones to accept? Would they go by the date earned and so the newest ones earned wouldn't count or would they just choose based on which ones meet program requirements vs other credits or electives?

I'm just using study.com as an example, I'm sure the same policy applies with anything else too.

Hope all this makes sense.

Could someone knowledgeable or with experience on this, explain TESU's max credit policy and how it works?
it's 90 per provider/source.
TESU BALS: Awarded June 2019
Credits:
TESU: LIB Capstone 3cr, Cornerstone 1cr 
Aleks: 3cr, Insurance Institute: 2cr NFA: 1cr 
Sophia: 2cr Straighterline: 48cr TEEX: 6cr 
Study.com: 18cr B&M: 77cr
(12-21-2018, 12:47 PM)zzzz24 Wrote: it's 90 per provider/source.

I know that. But I am wondering what happens when you get over 90 if that makes sense?
You can't use more than 90 per source, you can take as many courses as you want with that provider, but the max # of credits they will transfer in is 90.
If the credit doesn't apply to your degree plan, I don't believe that would be counted towards it.

I transferred in 48 community college credits, excess credit's that did not fit in my degree plan were not counted.
Credits:
The credits get moved to the bottom of your evaluation and won't be used to fulfill degree requirements. They may not catch it until after you apply for graduation.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(12-21-2018, 12:55 PM)zzzz24 Wrote: You can't use more than 90 per source, you can take as many courses as you want with that provider, but the max # of credits they will transfer in is 90.
If the credit doesn't apply to your degree plan, I don't believe that would be counted towards it.

Right now I currently only transferred in 3 credits from study.com and I sent the transcripts already. Let's say just I waited and I never sent a transcript again until I over 100 credits worth on it and say they could all count for my degree somehow. How would TESU choose which ones to accept? Is it by date earned or the ones that meet core requirements over elective?

If this makes sense.
(12-21-2018, 01:03 PM)natshar Wrote:
(12-21-2018, 12:55 PM)zzzz24 Wrote: You can't use more than 90 per source, you can take as many courses as you want with that provider, but the max # of credits they will transfer in is 90.

Right now I currently only transferred in 3 credits from study.com and I sent the transcripts already. Let's say just I waited and I never sent a transcript again until I over 100 credits worth on it and say they could all count for my degree somehow. How would TESU choose which ones to accept? Is it by date earned or the ones that meet core requirements over elective?

If this makes sense.

I'm not sure what their system is (if they even have one), but you can talk to an advisor and ask for credits to be moved around.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(12-21-2018, 01:03 PM)natshar Wrote: Right now I currently only transferred in 3 credits from study.com and I sent the transcripts already. Let's say just I waited and I never sent a transcript again until I over 100 credits worth on it and say they could all count for my degree somehow. How would TESU choose which ones to accept? Is it by date earned or the ones that meet core requirements over elective?

If this makes sense.

It does, but I don't think anyone knows the answer. I think you would likely get to choose, but they might apply some unknown policy.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
The will continue to bring stuff in and move it around. So lets say you have 90cr LL from Study.com. And they're all utilized in the degree. And then you take an UL course. They will bring in the UL course, and kick out a course from Free Electives. Once they've kicked out a FE, they will start kicking out GE Electives.

Over the years I've kind of figured out how they work. They bring things in based on priority:
1) UL AOS
2) LL AOS
3) Specific Requirements in the GE area
4) GE Electives
5) Free Electives

For example, if you're getting a BALS, and you take Insurance Ethics, they will bring it into the AOS (because it's an UL AOS course, priority #1). Since it's only 2cr, it won't help much there, so it's better to ask them to move that to the Ethics requirement. If you bring in Intro to Soc, they will put it in the LL AOS (priority #2), because that's what it is. But once you have some better LL AOS courses to bring in, they will move Soc to the Diversity Requirement (priority #3). If you take BUS 308: Globalization and International Management, they will put it in Free Electives (P#5) because there's nowhere else for it to go.

If you're getting a BSBA and bring in the same Insurance Ethics course, they will put it towards the Ethics Requirement automatically, because there's no better place for it to go (priorities #1 & #2 don't apply for this course in this degree, so they go to #3). If you take Soc 101, they will put it in as the Diversity Requirement, again because there's no better place for it to go. If you take If you take BUS 308: Globalization and International Management, they will put it in UL AOS (P#1) because that's the best use of it.

Any time you want, you can ask them to move courses around. And, if you start bringing in more courses than you're allowed to from a single source, they start doing things manually, so you may need them to move things around more than if you were to just bring in a whole transcript at once. So let's say you were at 90cr from Study.com and you took an UL AOS course. They SHOULD bring it in, put it where it goes, and remove a Free Elective, GE Elective, or something else depending on what makes sense (reverse order of priorities). But they might make a mistake and not bring it in, or bring it in and remove a Core course, or something equally crazy, and then you'll want to have them move things.

My advice once you get to the point of an eval being completed - keep a copy on hand, so that if they move things around in a way that doesn't benefit you, especially if they decide not to accept certain things that they used to accept and are on your eval, you can go back and show them and ask them to put it back the way it was, and you should be fine.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 3 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • cookderosa, natshar, pws
Why do you want to send in more than 100 anyway? I think if you are at 90 or close to it with one provider, you should consider switching to another at that point.
Credits:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Debate/speech competition transfer credits? Fave advisors? PLEX 4 163 03-20-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: PLEX
  Is an academic certificate a degree for the purposes of "new" credits? Am I screwed? ItsNeverTheLionsYear 3 242 03-13-2024, 08:53 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Organizational Leadership Cert SDC transfer credits Kones 5 472 02-10-2024, 03:48 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
  What constitutes "new" credits for 2nd degree? homeschoolmom1 8 498 01-15-2024, 10:50 PM
  Emailing TESU about planning external credits into academic evaluation aperantosbias 9 611 12-29-2023, 10:37 PM
Last Post: Quackerz
  Less Than 15 Credits Left for TESU Flat Rate Term mariobros1985 7 792 11-22-2023, 09:38 PM
  TESU AS in electronics. Transfer credits options? shows55 2 433 11-12-2023, 11:40 AM
  Competency based certifications for Electronics and Nuclear credits? sciencemathematics1 5 493 09-23-2023, 12:31 PM
  RA Credits from a Community College? mulhearnmusic 2 322 09-16-2023, 04:54 PM
Last Post: mulhearnmusic
  Is there a grade requirement to transfer credits? kowenboy 2 346 09-12-2023, 11:43 AM
Last Post: dfrecore