Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What about a double major of Human Resources & Acct ( will TESC do this?)
I have 1.5 years off work due to the location of my husbands work. I've been undecided about my major. Has anyone done a double major? Is there a benefit to doing a double major versus getting one degree at a time? I feel that it could lead to more job opportunities in this economy and it could make better use of the enrollement fee.... Any feedback would be great!
Started Dec 2012 ~ BSBA Human Resource and Org Management TESC

YAY!!!! OCT 24th = DONE!!!!!!

Straighterline Courses: American History I 83%, American History II 79% Accounting I 81%, Accounting II 83%, Macro 77 %, Micro 84%,World Religions 83%, Business Law 74%, Business Ethics 78%, Organizational Behavior 78%, Intro to business 85%, Business Communications 86%
Clep: Principles of management 64, Intro to marketing 53,
DSST: Bus in Society 442 / Principles of Supervison 453 / Money and Banking 55
Penn Foster: HR management 96%, Compensation Management 88%, Emp Benefits 89%, training concepts 96%, Strategic Management 90%, Principles of Finance 82%
ALEKS: Intro To Statistics 72%, Pre-Calc 70%
TESC : Org Theory DONE~ 89%
TEEX Cybersecurity for everyone ~ Business Elective ~ 85%
Can219 Wrote:I have 1.5 years off work due to the location of my husbands work. I've been undecided about my major. Has anyone done a double major? Is there a benefit to doing a double major versus getting one degree at a time? I feel that it could lead to more job opportunities in this economy and it could make better use of the enrollement fee.... Any feedback would be great!

Many people on this forum have done two degrees (such as an AAS and BA, or a BSBA and a BA) but it doesn't seem like as many do a second major. I think the reason is that you have to complete another set of requirements for new coursework and it becomes more difficult to meet that second set with courses brought in for the degree. If that interests you then I'd suggest scheduling time with an advisor and telling them you want to plan out the second major and see how it would work. As you said, it is a great use of the enrollment money to get more than a single degree with a single major.
My completed "non-traditional" credits include 27 credits from CLEP, 30 credits from DSST, 6 credits from ALEKS, 19 credits from FEMA courses including PDS, 3 credits from NFA courses, 10 credits from ACE Workplace Training, 3 credits from a TESC TECEP exam, and 3 credits from a TESC PLA course.
You could do a BSBA-HROM and a BSBA-Acctg double major. You will not be able to graduate with either one until requirements for both are complete (must graduate both at the same time on the same graduation form), and you will need a minimum of twelve credits (or was it 24? Advising can tell you for certain) difference between the two degrees. I briefly had a BSBA-HROM and BSBA-Ops Mgmt on my evaluation at the same time. Reach out to Patricia Certo in Advising. She was a rockstar in helping to get my eval set up with two BSBA majors, so the credits lined up neatly and I did not have insane requirement overages. If I had not already overinvested my time, I'd have finished it, but alas, it was not meant to be. There were no complaints or issues getting it added, though, other than the default front-end question TESC seems to ask all students wanting more than one degree. Toss an explanation in your initial email request as to why both degrees are required for your plan, and it'll drop on the eval the same day.

And adding it now locks both evaluations into the current pre-7/1 requirements. If you later change your mind, all you need to do is send another email to Advising saying you changed your mind and only want to finish one of the two BSBAs, and they'll remove the one you do not want, no questions asked.
BSBA, HR / Organizational Mgmt - Thomas Edison State College, December 2012
- TESC Chapter of Sigma Beta Delta International Honor Society for Business, Management and Administration
- Arnold Fletcher Award

AAS, Environmental, Safety, & Security Technologies - Thomas Edison State College, December 2012
AS, Business Administration - Thomas Edison State College, March 2012
Or you could just get an undergraduate certificate in accounting or human resources.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
sanantone Wrote:Or you could just get an undergraduate certificate in accounting or human resources.

If wanting to show proficiency in both, that is probably the path of least resistance (and stress, and expense, and...you get the idea).
BSBA, HR / Organizational Mgmt - Thomas Edison State College, December 2012
- TESC Chapter of Sigma Beta Delta International Honor Society for Business, Management and Administration
- Arnold Fletcher Award

AAS, Environmental, Safety, & Security Technologies - Thomas Edison State College, December 2012
AS, Business Administration - Thomas Edison State College, March 2012

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Knowledge of Human Culture Giantzebra 7 1,784 08-21-2018, 10:13 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,583 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
  Double concentrations COSC homeschoolmom1 3 1,128 05-23-2018, 03:15 PM
  About TESU double majors ajtaylearn2017 3 1,609 04-14-2018, 11:42 PM
Last Post: jsh1138
  TESU double major leeloodallas 12 3,791 04-11-2018, 12:00 PM
Last Post: Yenisei
  Is TESU's academic evaluation less accurate for out-of-major calculations? Pelican 4 1,222 03-14-2018, 11:12 AM
Last Post: rlw74
  I'm solidly set on TESU BSBA CIS, Any help figuring out options for a double major? camjenks 5 1,483 03-02-2018, 04:49 PM
Last Post: camjenks
  Help! TESU roadmap for my intended double major DarthArbiter00 3 1,536 02-21-2018, 06:15 PM
Last Post: davewill
Question Psych electives for TESC Psych degree KatePsychology 4 1,419 02-08-2018, 11:08 AM
Last Post: jsd
Thumbs Up Aspiring BA CS/MATH double major (Thanks TrailRunr!!!) otavio 24 3,621 02-03-2018, 05:50 PM