Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are the current (11/2018) TESU Non-Western Literature alternatives available?
(11-19-2018, 11:19 AM)pws Wrote: Yeah, those Harvard courses look great (4 credits and possible as graduate credits as well!). At the moment, there is a LL course and an UL course, however, the UL course is called 'Poetry in America for Teachers'. Does anyone know if it's open only for teachers, or it's open for everyone?

I'm pretty sure they are all open to everyone. Furthermore, if you take the lower level one for grad credit, it should be transferred as UL at TESU.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 2 users Like davewill's post:
  • HistoryMaker, pws
(11-19-2018, 11:19 AM)pws Wrote:
(11-19-2018, 05:37 AM)davewill Wrote: If it's just UL courses you need, there are the five $200 poetry courses from Harvard Extension. The only downside is that they are on a regular semester schedule and not quick to do.
(11-19-2018, 10:37 AM)cookderosa Wrote: Unfortunately, 3 are over, but there are still 2 left.  BEST DEAL EVER.

Yeah, those Harvard courses look great (4 credits and possible as graduate credits as well!). At the moment, there is a LL course and an UL course, however, the UL course is called 'Poetry in America for Teachers'. Does anyone know if it's open only for teachers, or it's open for everyone?

Yes! Everyone 16 years old and up. I've taken three Poetry in America courses so far and definitely recommend. 

That being said, I have all of my UL credits covered, but I still need the non-western literature, too... does TESU accept the Coopersmith (LIT 401) as non-western lit? Has anyone done this yet?
|| TESU English: Senior
everyone asks that about Coopersmith and as far as I know, no one here has ever taken it and transferred it to TESU. It's just something everyone brings up from time to time as an option but not an option anyone seems to go with
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

(11-19-2018, 03:53 PM)KawJa Wrote: ...but I still need the non-western literature, too... does TESU accept the Coopersmith (LIT 401) as non-western lit? Has anyone done this yet?

I don't think this is considered non-western lit.  It can't be anything European, and Hispano-Jewish is Jewish people in Spain, if I recall.  So it would not work.

Not sure if it's worth it, but you could take the non-credit study.com non-western lit course, and then do a PLA for it.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 3 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • HistoryMaker, Muldoon, pws
(11-19-2018, 03:53 PM)KawJa Wrote:
(11-19-2018, 11:19 AM)pws Wrote:
(11-19-2018, 05:37 AM)davewill Wrote: If it's just UL courses you need, there are the five $200 poetry courses from Harvard Extension. The only downside is that they are on a regular semester schedule and not quick to do.
(11-19-2018, 10:37 AM)cookderosa Wrote: Unfortunately, 3 are over, but there are still 2 left.  BEST DEAL EVER.

Yeah, those Harvard courses look great (4 credits and possible as graduate credits as well!). At the moment, there is a LL course and an UL course, however, the UL course is called 'Poetry in America for Teachers'. Does anyone know if it's open only for teachers, or it's open for everyone?

Yes! Everyone 16 years old and up. I've taken three Poetry in America courses so far and definitely recommend. 

That being said, I have all of my UL credits covered, but I still need the non-western literature, too... does TESU accept the Coopersmith (LIT 401) as non-western lit? Has anyone done this yet?
How do they do their final exams? Do they use ProctorU or something else?
(11-19-2018, 06:18 PM)Argo Wrote:
(11-19-2018, 03:53 PM)KawJa Wrote: Yes! Everyone 16 years old and up. I've taken three Poetry in America courses so far and definitely recommend. 

How do they do their final exams? Do they use ProctorU or something else?

Yes, ProctorU, and they're NCCRS certified. I spoke to them on the phone and they claim TESU accepts them. I feel like because they're NCCRS, I could probably get some credit, but it's not worth it to me unless it's good for the non-western lit, so that's what I need to find out.

From what I understood about the basis of "western literature", that supposedly means originally English literature (UK- and US-origin especially), but I could definitely be wrong there. (Could be something I just remember reading in one of our forums here, instead of legit TESU info.)

I'll contact TESU after the holiday and just get it from the horse's mouth. Will they accept Coopersmith or not, and if so will this literature course count as non-western lit or not? I'll report my findings.
|| TESU English: Senior
[-] The following 1 user Likes KawJa's post:
  • pws
(11-20-2018, 12:00 AM)KawJa Wrote: From what I understood about the basis of "western literature", that supposedly means originally English literature (UK- and US-origin especially), but I could definitely be wrong there. (Could be something I just remember reading in one of our forums here, instead of legit TESU info.)

I'll contact TESU after the holiday and just get it from the horse's mouth. Will they accept Coopersmith or not, and if so will this literature course count as non-western lit or not? I'll report my findings.

I have heard numerous times that it is the non-western world, not just English.  So anything from China, Japan, Africa, India, Middle-East, etc.  If you go to any school which offers a non-western lit course, and look at the syllabus, you will see things from these countries entirely, and nothing from Europe, South/Central America, etc.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • HistoryMaker, KawJa
(11-20-2018, 12:00 AM)KawJa Wrote: From what I understood about the basis of "western literature", that supposedly means originally English literature (UK- and US-origin especially), but I could definitely be wrong there. (Could be something I just remember reading in one of our forums here, instead of legit TESU info.)

I was told that Coopersmith LIT401 does not count for Non-Western Lit. However, I think you should still check in case you get a different answer Smile

In other threads, there was discussion about courses that were not acceptable to TESU for N-W even though we felt they should count.

My local community college offers "World Literature I" and "World Literature II". Do you know if those would count?
(12-09-2018, 03:37 PM)Pelican Wrote: My local community college offers "World Literature I" and "World Literature II". Do you know if those would count?

I believe they would not. They would typically contain over half Western Lit.

BTW I looked at College of DuPage's Spring online courses and don't see Non-Western Lit.

I wonder how long it will take Study.com to get a full Non-Western Lit approved.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Current Study.com Coupon Codes pws 67 39,313 03-22-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  Non-course equivalency at TESU for Sophia Principles of Finance? Yenisei 7 277 03-18-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU AOS Finance courses Yenisei 9 671 01-15-2024, 10:31 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  ENG301 Non Western Literature Lacedonia4 9 2,073 01-04-2024, 07:32 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Do you have a current Study.com coupon code? Who could refer me? Felisa 3 609 09-06-2023, 07:20 PM
  TESU Business/Society splirow 15 1,382 08-12-2023, 07:32 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Current equivalency Sophia courses that will transfer to TESU Mccderm 3 858 01-06-2023, 02:31 PM
Last Post: Mccderm
  SDC Presentation Skills Class NOT transferring to TESU?? ACI 4 700 12-22-2022, 02:15 PM
Last Post: ACI
  Sophia - Intro to Python/Java Programming to TESU AllThose299s 4 1,174 11-03-2022, 01:31 PM
  TESU to medical school? yum2177 9 2,861 11-01-2022, 04:00 PM
Last Post: danger455