Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What can transfer to WGU Teaching Program???
Is anyone on here familiar with what alternative forms of credit (courses) will transfer in to WGU's teaching program?  Specifically the BA in Elementary education?  I have searched the forum for days looking into this and have only been able to find one thread from 2017 where someone shared the journey of doing the middle school math certification with WGU.  

Ideally, I would like to find something that shows exactly what is/was accepted by WGU to apply towards the teaching program requirements.  I ask this because WGU seems to state that once you send transcripts, get evaluated and start their program,  you can no longer transfer in anything else in.  Therefore, getting a clear understanding of what exactly CAN BE transferred that would meet the requirements for this program is vital. 

So, if there is anyone on here who has experience or knowledge of acceptable courses that can share that info, I would greatly appreciate the help!  I would like to start a list to see the max amount of courses to get started in this program.  I'm hoping there is someone out there who has knowledge....I know there is limited info on here for this path specifically.

TIA
Completed:
The Institues-Insurance Ethics (2cr)                          
Sophia.orgDeveloping Effective Teams (1cr), The Essentials of Managing Conflict (1cr)
CSMLearn- CSMLearn Course (3cr)
TEEX- Cybersecurity 101, 201, 301 (11cr)
The only known education courses:

CLEP:
-Educational Psychology

DSST:
-Intro to Education

I think I saw the other people have transferred these above to WGU successfully into their teaching program.

Study.com:
-Educational Pysch (which I assume would duplicate CLEP so choose one or the other)
-Education 101: Foundations of Education
-Education 103: Classroom Management
-Education 104: Differentiated Instruction
-Education 105: Special Education History & Law
-Education 106: Introduction to Early Childhood Education
-Education 210: Technology in the Classroom
-Education 211: Teaching Elementary Math

Even if they don't transfer or transfer as electives the education courses, they are among some of the shortest courses study.com offers. Plus the more background you have going into the program, the faster you will work through WGUs program. It should be noted that Coopersmith and onlinedegree.com offer education courses, however, they are NCCRS and WGU only accepts ACE credit. So not take these.

From Straigherline: https://www.straighterline.com/colleges/...uivalency/
You don't have to take StraighterLine for these courses it just gives you an idea of what transfers and you can the courses from anywhere. However, I highly recommend you take 4 StraighterLine courses because then you will get a scholarship for WGU.
https://cm.wgu.edu/t5/Admission/Transfer...e/ta-p/156
(08-22-2019, 12:21 PM)natshar Wrote: The only known education courses:

CLEP:
-Educational Psychology

DSST:
-Intro to Education

I think I saw the other people have transferred these above to WGU successfully into their teaching program.

Study.com:
-Educational Pysch (which I assume would duplicate CLEP so choose one or the other)
-Education 101: Foundations of Education
-Education 103: Classroom Management
-Education 104: Differentiated Instruction
-Education 105: Special Education History & Law
-Education 106: Introduction to Early Childhood Education
-Education 210: Technology in the Classroom
-Education 211: Teaching Elementary Math

Even if they don't transfer or transfer as electives the education courses, they are among some of the shortest courses study.com offers. Plus the more background you have going into the program, the faster you will work through WGUs program. It should be noted that Coopersmith and onlinedegree.com offer education courses, however, they are NCCRS and WGU only accepts ACE credit. So not take these.

From Straigherline: https://www.straighterline.com/colleges/...uivalency/
You don't have to take StraighterLine for these courses it just gives you an idea of what transfers and you can the courses from anywhere. However, I highly recommend you take 4 StraighterLine courses because then you will get a scholarship for WGU.

This is AMAZING!  What a resource you are!  Thank you for this...it went beyond by expectations on a response!  It will absolutely get me going on a list for sure!  

I am looking to create a degree plan of sorts for someone with little to no credit for this teaching program.  To include core requirements as well.  So, I will be going back to WGU's site to find out what that entails.  This is a HUGE help!  It's the "once you start, you can't transfer anything else" that makes me want to have as many classes included that can be accepted on this plan.

I haven't seen any degree plans for this path yet.  Sad   I have seen a lot of threads stating you can transfer up to 90 credits to WGU, but I don't think that is the case for this path as I don't think there are as many courses that would transfer in...???

(08-22-2019, 12:21 PM)bluebooger Wrote: https://cm.wgu.edu/t5/Admission/Transfer...e/ta-p/156

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you for this resource.  Super helpful.  

As state in the previous response, I am looking to find/create a degree plan for someone with little to no credit to include core requirements as well.  There doesn't seem to be any on this forum.  If you know of any or any other resources that can help with that, please share!

Thank so much!!!!!!!
Completed:
Sophia.orgDeveloping Effective Teams (1cr), The Essentials of Managing Conflict (1cr)
This shouldn't be difficult all of these could be found through various sources:
-One Course in English Composition I
-One Course in English Composition II
-One Course in Speech
-One Course in World History or Western Civilization
-One Course in Humanities (literature, visual and performing arts, music, theatre, philosophy, ethics or religious studies)
-One Course in US History
-One Course in US Government
-2 Courses in Math Higher Than College Algebra (CSM may count for one)
-One Course in Physical Science (Chemistry, Geology, Physics, Astronomy)
-One Course in General Biology
-One Course in Human Growth and Development
-Natural Science Lab

For the sciences, it might easiest to do both sciences courses and labs at StraighterLine.

It isn't that hard just line up courses that sound similar. ex "US history I" works for the US history requirement. Use the StraighterLine link I sent as a guide. If you don't want to take those courses through StraighterLine then just look for the CLEP or study.com course with the same name.

This shouldn't be that hard you can use StraighterLine, study.com, CLEP, DSST and Sophia. I'd recommend CLEP for subjects you already know a lot about as this can be quicker as long as you are near a test center. I'd recommend at least 4 of the courses come from StraighterLine. You could also try Edu4credit or instacert for credits too these just aren't as common. You could use ALEKs for math. WGU only accepts ACE and NOT NCCRS so double check study.com it is on the ACE list. https://study.com/academy/college-accele...tters.html

Also, I forgot in my listing above CLEP and DSST both offer Human Growth and Development tests.

If you do all the gen eds I listed above plus all the education courses I listed in the above thread then you should be in really good shape for WGU and probably be able to do all the courses in one term.

A teaching degree will take a minimum of 3 terms. Term 1: online courses Term 2: pre-student teaching Term 3: student teaching.

Also just a note, applying to WGU and sending transcripts is not the same as enrolling in the program. You can send stuff anytime as long as you aren't ready to enroll and start classes.
(08-22-2019, 02:44 PM)natshar Wrote: This shouldn't be difficult all of these could be found through various sources:
-One Course in English Composition I
-One Course in English Composition II
-One Course in Speech
-One Course in World History or Western Civilization
-One Course in Humanities (literature, visual and performing arts, music, theatre, philosophy, ethics or religious studies)
-One Course in US History
-One Course in US Government
-2 Courses in Math Higher Than College Algebra (CSM may count for one)
-One Course in Physical Science (Chemistry, Geology, Physics, Astronomy)
-One Course in General Biology
-One Course in Human Growth and Development
-Natural Science Lab

For the sciences, it might easiest to do both sciences courses and labs at StraighterLine.

It isn't that hard just line up courses that sound similar. ex "US history I" works for the US history requirement. Use the StraighterLine link I sent as a guide. If you don't want to take those courses through StraighterLine then just look for the CLEP or study.com course with the same name.

This shouldn't be that hard you can use StraighterLine, study.com, CLEP, DSST and Sophia. I'd recommend CLEP for subjects you already know a lot about as this can be quicker as long as you are near a test center. I'd recommend at least 4 of the courses come from StraighterLine. You could also try Edu4credit or instacert for credits too these just aren't as common. You could use ALEKs for math. WGU only accepts ACE and NOT NCCRS so double check study.com it is on the ACE list. https://study.com/academy/college-accele...tters.html

Also, I forgot in my listing above CLEP and DSST both offer Human Growth and Development tests.

If you do all the gen eds I listed above plus all the education courses I listed in the above thread then you should be in really good shape for WGU and probably be able to do all the courses in one term.

A teaching degree will take a minimum of 3 terms. Term 1: online courses Term 2: pre-student teaching Term 3: student teaching.

Also just a note, applying to WGU and sending transcripts is not the same as enrolling in the program. You can send stuff anytime as long as you aren't ready to enroll and start classes.

OH MY WORD!!!  I can't even begin to thank you enough for this!  This is fantastic!  I was going to comb through the site later today but I think you just did that for me!  If I could buy you a coffee, I would.  Seriously, THANK YOU!

I hope CSM would count!  I have a phobia when it comes to math.  I want to conquer it but it intimidates me. It's just a personal weakness that needs to be addressed. I know I am fully capable....we just all have our areas of improvement.  I am currently enrolled in Sophia's statistics (about half way through) and doing great, so if I pass that and can use the CSM course I already have, that would be golden. 

I will be putting all this information in my spreadsheet and re-evaluate. Again, thank you so much! I know this will help many others in the future as well.  Big Grin
Completed:
if you need anything just pm me here.
(08-22-2019, 05:41 PM)natshar Wrote: if you need anything just pm me here.

Thank you SO much!!!!!!!!
Completed:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question regarding transfer credit courses jobojoe285 6 151 Yesterday, 12:35 AM
Last Post: jobojoe285
  New transfer credit for Master degree - WGU Imbanewbie 16 2,082 01-20-2024, 04:24 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Expired CompTIA Certs for Transfer siersema 4 612 01-15-2024, 04:50 PM
Last Post: raekwon
  BSIT TO MSITM Program - Should I take required Certs before enrolling in degree? Brandon.Thomas.Downer 2 372 11-16-2023, 03:39 PM
  Computer Science 305: Operating Systems Transfer to WGU alesalsa10 4 688 10-19-2023, 02:20 PM
Last Post: alesalsa10
  Computer Science Program is now ABET accredited frankc 18 1,629 10-12-2023, 12:58 PM
  How do I know what classes I have completed and can transfer? tazz 17 2,856 10-06-2023, 05:02 PM
Last Post: tazz
  How do transfer (sophia.org/ACE) credits look on a WGU transcript for grad school? dan087 4 950 09-25-2023, 05:01 AM
Last Post: dan087
  Sophia's Visual Communcation and Introduction to Information Technology WGU Transfer? OP88 4 1,594 05-16-2023, 05:55 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  UoPeople to WGU Transfer EDUxplorer 9 2,271 01-09-2023, 10:43 AM
Last Post: dfrecore