Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What career move would you make? FAANG Contract or steady work
The running joke is that the dream is to be an ex-FAANG worker so that for the rest of your life, you can brag to everyone about how you used to work at FAANG and all the status and privileges that come with that. Lol

The freedom to work wherever you want is significant. If you move and don't like it, it would be easy to move back whenever you want.

Changing jobs is not an easy choice. It's hard to tell if you will move into a better or worse situation. 

Now all these problems will be solved if you make a million dollars being a social influencer. You never know.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
Say you take the FAANG position. What happens in 6 months? You won't have a job so then you have to find one. Will you have completed your master's by then? Will you have the time to dedicate to your master's with the FAANG job? No one knows what the job market will be like in 6 months so this could be a huge risk. Would you have enough savings to live on for several months if it takes time to find a new job? Hybrid position vs remote is huge thing for most people to consider these days.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • allvia
(10-09-2022, 08:38 AM)LevelUP Wrote: The running joke is that the dream is to be an ex-FAANG worker so that for the rest of your life, you can brag to everyone about how you used to work at FAANG and all the status and privileges that come with that. Lol

The freedom to work wherever you want is significant. If you move and don't like it, it would be easy to move back whenever you want.

Changing jobs is not an easy choice. It's hard to tell if you will move into a better or worse situation. 

Now all these problems will be solved if you make a million dollars being a social influencer. You never know.

I am 95% leaning towards not taking the contract, but the main reason for taking it would be to have it on my resume to make my life 'easier' for the future.

My current job is fully remote, and that freedom is of significant importance to me, it also has been difficult to find other 100% remote opportunities. Most fully remote jobs do require you to come into the office once a month, which is NOT fully remote but that is how it's advertised.

My life would be much easier if I became a social influencer, that is for sure! haha currently I have a struggling youtube channel.
Currently:
UCA (University of Central Arkansas) Ph.D. Change Leadership for Equity and Inclusion 

Completed:
WGU MSML
TAMUC BAAS Org Leadership
PMP, CSM, CSPO, Google Project Management Certificate
Sophia 19 Classes | Study.com 12 Classes
(10-09-2022, 12:18 PM)mohelena02 Wrote: I am 95% leaning towards not taking the contract, but the main reason for taking it would be to have it on my resume to make my life 'easier' for the future.

My current job is fully remote, and that freedom is of significant importance to me, it also has been difficult to find other 100% remote opportunities.

IMHO, getting your master's is way more important than the FAANG contract job.  Also, this will probably not be the only time you are EVER offered a FAANG contract; like if you don't jump on this now, you will never ever be afforded an opportunity to do it again.

I also think, with the economy getting ready to take a dive (IMHO, I've lived through a couple of these), you are MUCH better off staying where you are until you get that master's and then make your move to the new town.  The last place I want to be when companies start laying people off is being a contract employee - you are the first on the chopping block, contract or not.  No thanks.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(10-08-2022, 12:15 PM)bluebooger Wrote: not having PTO for 6 months is not that big of a deal (unless it means working on Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years)

> . Not sure giving up a permanent position for a short term contract even though it’s FAANG would look good on resume anyway.

totally disagree            
nobody cares if you left one position and took another for an increase in pay and responsibility          

OP says current position is "mind-numbing, with lots of red tape and no path for growth."

so leaving for more responsibility, a need to be challenged, a path for growth and wanting to be used for their fullest potential would be seen as a plus

I will never work at a FAANG job so I'm not able to speak to that part of the question.  But job changing in general is something I know about.  I have a strong tendency to push ahead.  Try the new thing.  Take the chance.  Of course, this has a lot to do with your life circumstances.  People with kids, for example, tend to be less adventurous in this regard.  Beyond a certain age people tend to be a more conservative in their approach and are less willing to take certain risks.  Under certain circumstances, calculated risks are a good thing.  This is the way, for example, that you meet new people within the business and these relationships (remember all those conversations about "networking" in college) are the real important relationships if your goal is to move up, bigger, better, faster, shinier, etc. then you don't get there by staying in a mind-numbing job.
(10-09-2022, 12:18 PM)mohelena02 Wrote:
(10-09-2022, 08:38 AM)LevelUP Wrote: The running joke is that the dream is to be an ex-FAANG worker so that for the rest of your life, you can brag to everyone about how you used to work at FAANG and all the status and privileges that come with that. Lol

I am 95% leaning towards not taking the contract, but the main reason for taking it would be to have it on my resume to make my life 'easier' for the future.

My current job is fully remote, and that freedom is of significant importance to me, it also has been difficult to find other 100% remote opportunities. Most fully remote jobs do require you to come into the office once a month, which is NOT fully remote but that is how it's advertised.

My life would be much easier if I became a social influencer, that is for sure! haha currently I have a struggling youtube channel.

I am a Sr Project manager for a top high-tech company. I have hired and fired people over my 25 years of working. I have moved around the semiconductor industry several times worldwide. 

1.  Now would I move to a project management position for a 6 mos contract? No never; because top jobs for experienced project managers are still available even in this current recession. 

2. If I currently could move anywhere; I would move to an area where I wanted to work, and then get a new job there. Also, I never stop looking for and exploring opportunities ever. 

3. Moving for money is only a good fit if it offers you the long-term needs you want. 

FAANG or no FAANG would not get you hired by me, and I would expect you to have the experience I needed for the position, and be able to be trained for the rest. Your project portfolio would matter and your time in the position would matter in regard to finishing and closing out the project. Now exceptions to any of these personal rules always apply when circumstances change. 

The bay area is full of people chasing these short-term contracts, and most of the time we never hired them. 

Most of our project managers make between 100K - 200KK+ in the USA. We have hired from the university, and from diverse backgrounds that have the skills we think can make a long-term project manager successful. I even know of an ex-admin assistant who slowly moved up in this kind of work using a PMI CERT, and graduating to higher projects over time. She only has a 2-year degree in an irrelevant field.

You need to sell yourself and be confident in your ability to do something new. FAANG maybe that choice or maybe you really want something else. Network, Educate, always keep moving forward, and make your personal dreams come true.

Good luck whatever you decide to do, and make sure that it will count longer term. I hope this helps, and the fact that you asked for information is a very good sign of your possible success. :-)
Our education has been used for years to travel the world within employment as an Expat. Pursue your dream, and never give up.
Studying Project Management, History, Business, Foreign languages, and culture. 
We post travel articles on my blog here. ExploreTraveler.com Also our Travel Vlog is here  ExploreTraveler Vlog
TESU BALS History Completion 9 CR Remaining & Dual Major BA.LSGM 2023 12 CR remaining
TESU BALS Social Sciences Confirmed 2019
UAF Foreign Languages German 2019 Finished 
City of Ur - 2019 Capstone is here
[-] The following 1 user Likes vetvso's post:
  • ss20ts
(10-09-2022, 02:07 PM)Alpha Wrote: if your goal is to move up, bigger, better, faster, shinier, etc. then you don't get there by staying in a mind-numbing job.

I don't think anyone is saying stay at the mind-numbing job FOREVER - rather, get some other goals accomplished (she's in the middle of a master's program), move (she said she wanted to move, and the current job will allow that, while the FAANG contract job will not); and THEN start looking for a great new job in the new place where you want to be, with that new master's degree opening up some more doors.

Hating your job, long term, is not a good place to be, and I would never suggest that anyone do that for more than a few months, generally speaking.  But being in the middle of a degree, and wanting to move away, make this a bit of a mid-term thing that I think you can push through until you're ready for the next big thing.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • allvia, ss20ts
Basically, I would only jump ship when you have something comparable to fall onto...if not better in all areas such as benefits, perks such as WFH, etc. Use the time now at the current position to "complete" your Masters, once that has been done, start searching for possible positions that are an upward trend and not a lateral move. Good luck, have fun, continue on the studies before you venture off to a new position!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
A LinkedIn search shows a plethora of non-contract, remote proj mgr positions currently hiring within FAANG.

I would absolutely jump ship for one of those, but certainly not for contract work, or non-remote work (in 2022??). either one of those is a showstopper.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
Totally get the hesitation with contracts and non-remote options. Who wants to miss out on the cozy WFH vibes in 2022, right? I hear ya on that LinkedIn deep dive – it's like a treasure hunt for the perfect job! If those non-contract, remote positions at FAANG are popping up, that could be the golden ticket. I'd probably take that leap too!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Lightbulb How to make screen time useful for kids? drArret8 2 440 01-03-2024, 05:32 AM
Last Post: gulshan212
  Possible Career Change - Advice Needed acamp 18 1,214 06-11-2023, 06:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Advice needed, making time for uni work. Personherebb9 14 1,103 06-11-2023, 03:11 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Making The Right Move Is Key Kal Di 2 507 06-22-2022, 02:41 PM
Last Post: Kal Di
  Move some threads to another area dfrecore 8 931 04-26-2022, 07:54 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Dua Lipa Sued for Ripping Large Parts of a Song Used to Make the Song ‘Levitating' LevelUP 2 892 03-06-2022, 04:20 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Life After Career Switch Alpha 1 683 03-04-2022, 02:22 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  What Is The Mobility of Your Career? Kal Di 0 768 02-16-2022, 03:20 AM
Last Post: Kal Di
  Great Resignation - Better Balance of Life & Work? bjcheung77 5 981 01-30-2022, 08:17 PM
Last Post: uncapentin
  How has getting a degree from the Big Three (and others) changed your career or life? schristian10 3 929 01-21-2022, 09:43 AM
Last Post: williammosher