Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What did your families think?
(07-20-2019, 12:41 AM)quigongene Wrote: I've had chats with people who have looked down on online degrees.  When asked about WGU, I tell them "WGU is accredited by the same accreditation body as BYU, UNLV and The University of Washington".  That usually kills the "online degree" argument.

Or Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Stanford and MIT!
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(07-20-2019, 01:02 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(07-20-2019, 12:41 AM)quigongene Wrote: I've had chats with people who have looked down on online degrees.  When asked about WGU, I tell them "WGU is accredited by the same accreditation body as BYU, UNLV and The University of Washington".  That usually kills the "online degree" argument.

Or Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Stanford and MIT!

I'm just going by the same regional body in this case (NWCCU):

https://www.nwccu.org/member-institutions/directory/
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

[-] The following 1 user Likes quigongene's post:
  • Life Long Learning
My wife loves and appreciates the idea.  She went the traditional route for her Bachelors, Masters, and Certificate.

Edit:  My Mother in Law Appreciates it too!
Community College: College Success Skills | Gen. Psychology | Span 1 | Eng. 101 | Accounting 1 | Accounting 2 | Comp Skills

Study.com Scholarship: Per. Finance | Prin. of Marketing | Digi. Mark. & Advertising | HR Manage. | Prin. of Finance

The Institutes: Ethics

Sophia: Proj. Management

Straighterline:​ Survey of World History | Principles of Management | MacroEco. | MicroEco. | American Gov | US History 1 | US History 2 | Western Civ 1 | Western Civ 2 | Business Law | Intro to Religion | Cultural Anthropology | Intro to Environ. Science | Intro to Soc

ALEKS: Inter. Algebra | College Algebra | Intro to Stats

TEEX: Cyber 101 | Cyber 201 | Cyber 301

NFA: Fire Service Supervision: Self Study

Certified: Six Sigma Yellow Belt [8 PDU]
(07-20-2019, 11:15 PM)Toastmaster Wrote: My wife loves and appreciates the idea.  She went the traditional route for her Bachelors, Masters, and Certificate.

Edit:  My Mother in Law Appreciates it too!

My wife is a big fan as well. She also earned her degrees the traditional way. After seeing how successful I've been with pursuing my bachelors and masters degrees online, she's a bit jealous considering I'll have both my BS and MBA in less time than it took her to complete half of her BS.

Inspired by what I've been doing, she's now interested in the ALM in Creative Writing from Harvard Extension School. So, she may start working on that in 2020-2021 if schedules and finances permit. HES isn't competency-based, unfortunately, but looking at the class offerings they have a lot of interesting courses.

My parents and in-laws know I earned my degrees online but they are more excited that I completed my degrees (and how quickly) than concerned about where I got them. Particularly considering that I don't really need them. Plus, I'm the first person on either side of the family to have earned a master's degree (or will have earned, come September).
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • Life Long Learning
It went something like this: You're going to go back to school at your age? How are you going to afford this? What, it's that inexpensive and you don't need my help? Go for it!
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
70 CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
68 DSST Technical Writing
72 CLEP U.S. History I
77 CLEP College Mathematics
470 DSST Statistics
53 CLEP College Composition
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
77 CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Arizona Families who bail on public school will get $7,000 per kid smartdegree 9 1,346 07-02-2022, 04:19 PM
Last Post: smartdegree
  How elitist families and employers drive people to spend more sanantone 0 509 08-02-2021, 04:09 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  As Colleges Move Classes Online, Families Rebel Against the Cost Merlin 17 2,635 08-21-2020, 10:02 AM
Last Post: SteveFoerster