Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do you guys think of graduate certificates?
I only recently even found out they existed, and was considering finding one in creative writing for fun
I think there are some really good ones offered. I like how many have a very specific topic.

However, have you looked at the costs? Unfortunately a lot of them cost a lot, which makes sense, since they are basically 1/4 to 1/2 of a Masters degree. They are often 9-18 credits. I see some that are more or less credits.

Depends. I think on this forum in particular, people are very gung-ho for continued education where they can show some kind of "proof" that they learned something. If I was going to do something for "fun" I wouldn't need a piece of paper to tell anyone about it. I would just do it, probably fairly cheaply (MOOC's or something like that), and happily educate myself without paying a school a bunch of money for the privilege. But that's just me, and I'm cheap. And don't care much about credentials, as far as just having them - if you need them for a job, then by all means, get them.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • leland.kirk
That's true, at many schools you could take the same exact classes, but pay little or nothing if you don't want college/grad credit.

Sometimes you find a certificate for under $350 a credit, and sometimes they are lower numbers of credit.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Ideas's post:
  • leland.kirk
My local university is pretty far, otherwise non-credit versions of a class or two would be brilliant. And you guys are right, the price on all the certificates I'm seeing are a little too high to be 'worth it', at least for me. I'll probably just take some time off for NaNoWriMo when it comes up, haha
There are some non-credit online versions. I wish there were more with good prices Smile

If you're a creative writer, wouldn't it be far more practical to just start writing? I think the thing you could show someone, if ever asked, is actual samples of your writing. "Here's my blog, here's some articles I wrote for XYZ publication, here's my book that I wrote." That's a hell of a lot more impressive than a certificate!
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
If I could afford it I would do some grad certs at Harvard.
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

[-] The following 1 user Likes armstrongsubero's post:
  • leland.kirk
(03-03-2018, 11:16 AM)dfrecore Wrote: If you're a creative writer, wouldn't it be far more practical to just start writing? I think the thing you could show someone, if ever asked, is actual samples of your writing. "Here's my blog, here's some articles I wrote for XYZ publication, here's my book that I wrote." That's a hell of a lot more impressive than a certificate!

I started freelance writing a little over a year ago. This was before I had finished my degree from TESU. You're right, no one cared about credentials, only that I could produce the desired product in a specified time range. The only certificate I would recommend for this route would be SEO practices, as many businesses ask for SEO skills in freelancers and it's not always obviously proven with samples.
If what the OP is after is more creative writing, I'd suggest finding a local writing group through the library or Meetup as many of those are set up a lot like the workshop sessions in MFA programs.
[-] The following 3 users Like DavidHume's post:
  • High_Order1, Ideas, leland.kirk
Right on, I think a workshop or group would be great if I could find one. The main thing for me is accountability if that makes sense. Though I suppose I could have a friend give me a deadline of sorts

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Graduate Discounts (ENEB, Walden, etc) ashkir 30 24,855 04-16-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: dutchdragon
  Graduate Schools that accept the most transfer credits sanantone 66 15,909 04-09-2024, 03:21 AM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Fastest way to get into graduate school megaworp 20 1,041 03-22-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: davewill
  Graduate transfer credits David1477 10 1,035 03-03-2024, 02:05 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  ENEB won't let me graduate and refusing to answer all emails and calls slayer35 41 4,681 02-20-2024, 10:20 PM
Last Post: William.H
  List of free graduate credit udi 15 7,784 01-26-2024, 09:16 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Transferring graduate credit from UofPeople Quackerz 8 680 01-16-2024, 10:00 PM
Last Post: Quackerz
Thumbs Up Will graduate schools in the United States and abroad accept an online college degree shoron 47 6,656 01-15-2024, 11:18 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Country Preview : Graduate/Doctorate Degrees in Malaysia bjcheung77 11 2,450 01-13-2024, 11:34 AM
  Using Pell Grant for Graduate Courses while Undergrad SophiaPrincess 2 487 10-19-2023, 02:57 PM