Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do you think about BS Organizational Leadership at TESU?
Hi all,

So while I would love to do a BSBA, there are too many math related classes in that (at least that's what screams out at me when I look at the requirements) so I was thinking to do a BSOL instead. Is there anything tricky about this degree that I should know? Example, maybe I can't take all the classes online or anything like that?

PS - I've been in the corporate world for 30yrs and need the paper so looking for quick and easy. Only bringing in about 20 credits of a mixed bag of stuff so basically starting from scratch.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.
Amberton University, MS Human Relations & Business
Started June 2022

TESU BALS completed March 2020
Study.com (24) StraighterLine (33) Sophia (10) SHU and GCU (26) TEEX (6) Coopersmith (12) CSMLearn (3) TESU (6)
Well, there is the BA in Liberal Studies with various concentrations, including management. It's more flexible than the organizational leadership degree. There isn't that much math for the BSBA. The leadership program requires a practicum. I'm not the most up to date on this, but I remember that the degree was less test-friendly than the BSBA.

Note: I'm not a fan of leadership and liberal studies programs, but I guess anything will work if you just want to check the box.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • suzycupcake
I agree about the math for the BSBA, I would consider this option myself if I weren't set on HR so I have to force myself to get through it. I'm not looking forward to Managerial Accounting, Finance, Statistics, College Algebra.

I'm reading the requirements and just by eye-balling it along with the Study.com course transfer guide, many can be found online but you might have a problem testing out of some of the classes. Here are some of the corresponding courses:

Leadership Foundations 12
A. Organizational Behavior (MAN-311) (Study.com Bus 107, Davar)
B. Foundations of Leadership (LDR-305) (Study.com Bus 102)
C. Leading Organizational Change (Study.com Bus 304)
D. Leadership Communication (MAN-376) (Study.com BUS 305)

Select 4 courses from the following:
Change Management (MAN-415)
Project Management (MAN-435) (Study.com Bus 311)
Advanced Organizational Management (MAN-425)
Principles of Management (MAN-301) (Study.com Bus 101)
Leadership in the Global Environment (LDR-422)
Nonprofit Leadership (LDR-419)
Leaders in History (LDR-324)

Additional Advanced Leadership Electives - I'm not certain which ones would fit here but you would likely need to get them pre-approved by TESU

Leadership Practicum (LDR-435) - I don't know what this course is, I assume it's like the Capstone equivalent

Supportive Leadership Courses 12
Economics, Business/Managerial Communications, Organizational Theory, Computer Concepts - All of these can be taken at Study.com, Org Theory is UL, and make sure the Business Communication - Bus 324 does not overlap with leadership communication

Business electives - I would assume most business courses not already taken can fit here.

So if those Study.com courses all work, that leaves you with 2 of 4 classes needed in the second section, 3 courses (9 units) of leadership electives, and the practicum. I'm not sure which other courses would be accepted, either through Study.com or other providers. CSU-Global has 4 Self Study Assessments in Organizational Leadership, but I don't know what they correspond to, maybe electives?

You can always try asking TESU and getting them pre-approved. I hope that's at least a start for you.
TESU, BSBA-HR Completed December 2020

Completed: B&M CC: 67 units applied to degree Study.com: Principles of Management, Principles of Marketing, Computing, International Business, Library Science, Managerial Accounting, Leading Organizational Change, Finance, Organizational Theory, Strategic Human Resources (30 units) Davar: Organizational Behavior, Managerial Communication (6 units) Sophia: Microeconomics, Statistics, College Algebra, Conflict Resolution, Leading Teams (11 units) Institutes: Ethics (2 units) TESU: Business Capstone, Cornerstone (4 units)

Next up: Researching Master's Programs
(03-12-2019, 01:45 AM)Muldoon Wrote: I agree about the math for the BSBA, I would consider this option myself if I weren't set on HR so I have to force myself to get through it. I'm not looking forward to Managerial Accounting, Finance, Statistics, College Algebra.

A few quick comments on the math aspects of the BSBA @ TESU...

I took all these courses already and found that financial accounting and principles of finance were much more challenging than managerial accounting. They both required learning and applying a ton of formulas, none of which were complex (most of it was simple math), but there were a lot of them and several were similar to each other which I found confusing. Managerial accounting wasn't very math-focused; it referred to many of the same formulas from financial accounting but I don't recall being tested on any of them. Luckily the SDC courses provide a formula sheet that can be used during the final exams that cover the important formulas (but not all of them).

I've heard the SDC statistics course is more about theory, which seems well suited to people who are math challenged, but I can't verify how math heavy it actually is; I took the ALEKS version, which I don't recommend unless you really enjoy math.

College algebra should be the only heavy math course. I took that via ALEKS, but I've heard the SDC course is easier to complete.

That said, you shouldn't avoid the BSBA because of the math content. I have math learning and retention issues and I was able to get through it with the help of Khan Academy and a lot of practice. For accounting and finance, as I recall it was mostly just basic math (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division).
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
That's good to know, thanks. I already passed Financial Accounting at my community college, granted it took me 3 attempts to get through it! I am trying to take all the "easy" classes now to keep up motivation and momentum for when I get to the harder ones. I do wish there was an option to swap out some of the BSBA core for more focused HR courses though, since that's what I'm interested in. 9 units of electives isn't enough for me.
TESU, BSBA-HR Completed December 2020

Completed: B&M CC: 67 units applied to degree Study.com: Principles of Management, Principles of Marketing, Computing, International Business, Library Science, Managerial Accounting, Leading Organizational Change, Finance, Organizational Theory, Strategic Human Resources (30 units) Davar: Organizational Behavior, Managerial Communication (6 units) Sophia: Microeconomics, Statistics, College Algebra, Conflict Resolution, Leading Teams (11 units) Institutes: Ethics (2 units) TESU: Business Capstone, Cornerstone (4 units)

Next up: Researching Master's Programs
I completed managerial accounting at Davar. I don't recall doing many, if any, calculations. It was definitely easier than financial accounting. I also did financial management at Davar, and it wasn't heavy on math.

Financial accounting uses arithmetic, so it's not complex math. The hard part is remembering all the accounting rules.

A practicum is basically a short internship but with more observation and less hands-on participation.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • suzycupcake
Muldoon

I am 9-12 hours away from this degree (as a 2nd Bachelors). I have not decided if I will continue due to the pre-requisite requirement for the Practicum course. Per my eval, I only need 9 hours; 2 management courses and the Practicum. However, the Practicum course has 2 pre-requisite courses that are not listed as requirements in the evaluation. This could put me at 12 hours away requiring all 4 courses to be taken at TESU.

I am waiting to see if Study.com will offer Change Management, Leaders in History, or Theories of Leadership anytime in the near future. I don't want to pay full tuition for 4 courses for a 2nd degree. The money would be better spent on graduate courses. I may pursue it in the future if SC courses are offered for my remaining requirements.

Here is what I have in my eval for each of the requirements:

Quote:Select 4 courses from the following:

Study.com Project Management
Study.com Principles of Management
(Need 2 courses - Leaders in History + 1)

Quote:Additional Advanced Leadership Electives - I'm not certain which ones would fit here but you would likely need to get them pre-approved by TESU (9 Hours)

Study.com  International Business & Management
Study.com  Managerial Communications
Study.com  Human Resources Management

Quote:Leadership Practicum (LDR-435) - I don't know what this course is, I assume it's like the Capstone equivalent

LDR-324 Leaders in History and LDR-345 Theories of Leadership are listed as pre-requisites for this course. The course takes you through the process of acting as a leadership consultant for an organization. A previous grad told me it is a good idea to already have a job or internship lined up to provide you with access to an organization you will be writing about in the course.

Quote:Supportive Leadership Courses 12 Hours

Economics, Business/Managerial Communications, Organizational Theory, Computer Concepts - All of these can be taken at Study.com, Org Theory is UL, and make sure the Business Communication - Bus 324 does not overlap with leadership communication

Sophia Microeconomics
Study.com Business Communication
Study.com Organizational Theory
Davar Introduction to Computers

Quote:Business electives 6 Hours - I would assume most business courses not already taken can fit here.

Study.com  Mentoring/Ldrshp Dvlpmnt Wrkpl
Straighterline Business Law
[-] The following 2 users Like DIGI-212's post:
  • Muldoon, suzycupcake
(03-12-2019, 01:45 AM)Muldoon Wrote: I agree about the math for the BSBA, I would consider this option myself if I weren't set on HR so I have to force myself to get through it. I'm not looking forward to Managerial Accounting, Finance, Statistics, College Algebra.

I'm reading the requirements and just by eye-balling it along with the Study.com course transfer guide, many can be found online but you might have a problem testing out of some of the classes. Here are some of the corresponding courses:

Leadership Foundations 12
A. Organizational Behavior (MAN-311) (Study.com Bus 107, Davar)
B. Foundations of Leadership (LDR-305) (Study.com Bus 102)
C. Leading Organizational Change (Study.com Bus 304)
D. Leadership Communication (MAN-376) (Study.com BUS 305)

Select 4 courses from the following:

Additional Advanced Leadership Electives - I'm not certain which ones would fit here but you would likely need to get them pre-approved by TESU

Leadership Practicum (LDR-435) - I don't know what this course is, I assume it's like the Capstone equivalent

Supportive Leadership Courses 12

Business electives - I would assume most business courses not already taken can fit here.

So if those Study.com courses all work, that leaves you with 2 of 4 classes needed in the second section, 3 courses (9 units) of leadership electives, and the practicum. I'm not sure which other courses would be accepted, either through Study.com or other providers. CSU-Global has 4 Self Study Assessments in Organizational Leadership, but I don't know what they correspond to, maybe electives?

You can always try asking TESU and getting them pre-approved. I hope that's at least a start for you.
OMGOSH wow = thank you!  This is great - I appreciate it!

(03-12-2019, 03:05 AM)Merlin Wrote:

A few quick comments on the math aspects of the BSBA @ TESU...

I took all these courses already and found that financial accounting and principles of finance were much more challenging than managerial accounting. They both required learning and applying a ton of formulas, none of which were complex (most of it was simple math), but there were a lot of them and several were similar to each other which I found confusing. Managerial accounting wasn't very math-focused; it referred to many of the same formulas from financial accounting but I don't recall being tested on any of them. Luckily the SDC courses provide a formula sheet that can be used during the final exams that cover the important formulas (but not all of them).

I've heard the SDC statistics course is more about theory, which seems well suited to people who are math challenged, but I can't verify how math heavy it actually is; I took the ALEKS version, which I don't recommend unless you really enjoy math.

College algebra should be the only heavy math course. I took that via ALEKS, but I've heard the SDC course is easier to complete.

That said, you shouldn't avoid the BSBA because of the math content. I have math learning and retention issues and I was able to get through it with the help of Khan Academy and a lot of practice. For accounting and finance, as I recall it was mostly just basic math (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division).
You guys are scaring the heck out of me with all the math/accounting stuff.  Thanks for the input Merlin!

Going to start seriously considering BALS.... I need to just make a damn decision already. I'm driving myself bananas here.
Amberton University, MS Human Relations & Business
Started June 2022

TESU BALS completed March 2020
Study.com (24) StraighterLine (33) Sophia (10) SHU and GCU (26) TEEX (6) Coopersmith (12) CSMLearn (3) TESU (6)
This degree is not able to be tested out of, so I personally wouldn't consider it.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I like the idea of this degree and that the leadership seminar is required because I think it better demonstrates what you are expected to learn from this degree but it seems like employers don't always understand what a degree in "leadership" means. I know it depends on what you want to get from a degree but I have friends who have majored in subjects like this (not from TESU) and it seems like the ones who haven't struggled finding employment after were veterans. YMMV

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 17 733 3 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,983 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 262 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 233 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 301 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 273 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,161 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Admitted BA Computers Science - TESU Chan.kckn 3 392 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Transfer to TESU Questions homeschoolmom1 14 726 02-20-2024, 06:18 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Remaining Classes for TESU Degree faptaincrunch 7 569 02-20-2024, 08:19 AM
Last Post: faptaincrunch