Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What does UL mean?
Just starting my journey and I've seen the abbreviation UL several times without a description. Can someone enlighten me?
(12-07-2019, 05:13 PM)freshclicks Wrote: Just starting my journey and I've seen the abbreviation UL several times without a description. Can someone enlighten me?

UL=Upper Level. 

If a degree specifies that UL credit is required then you will need to find classes that transfer in as UL to fulfill those requirements. It can be challenging in some cases to find the proper UL credit course that can transfer so you will see people here using that abbreviation to specify the type of credit they are looking for.
Currently working on:  Capstone

Eastern University - (9 of 10 Courses Completed) (27 Credits)
Master's in Data Science

Western Governors University (WGU) - Completed in 2020.
Bachelor of Science, Business - Information Technology Management

TEEX (3 courses, 10 cr)  
The Institutes (3 cr) 
NFA (1 cr)  
ALEKS (3 cr) 
SOPHIA (21 courses, 57 cr) 
Study.com (18 courses, 54 cr) 
WGU (12 courses, 38 CUs)
Eastern University (9 courses, 27 cr)
Thank you! Does that mean you can't take a CLEP for an upper Level class?
(12-07-2019, 05:53 PM)freshclicks Wrote: Thank you! Does that mean you can't take a CLEP for an upper Level class?

I have never taken a CLEP and I don't plan on ever taking one. I will let someone else answer that. 

Generally speaking, it depends on the school. First figure out where you want to go and then you can figure out the specifics of what will and will not transfer as well as what level it will transfer as.
Currently working on:  Capstone

Eastern University - (9 of 10 Courses Completed) (27 Credits)
Master's in Data Science

Western Governors University (WGU) - Completed in 2020.
Bachelor of Science, Business - Information Technology Management

TEEX (3 courses, 10 cr)  
The Institutes (3 cr) 
NFA (1 cr)  
ALEKS (3 cr) 
SOPHIA (21 courses, 57 cr) 
Study.com (18 courses, 54 cr) 
WGU (12 courses, 38 CUs)
Eastern University (9 courses, 27 cr)
UL = upper level as known as course numbers between 300/400 or 3000/4000 (depending on the school)

Upper-level courses generally have more rigor and difficulty compared to LL (lower-level) courses. They also might be more specialized whereas LL is more board overview. For example, a LL course might be introduction to psychology and an UL course might be the psychology of personality.

At the big 3 and WGU, for instance, all cleps come in as LL I don't think any came as UL at the big 3. Someone please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

CLEPs are designed for freshman-level gen ed coursework so as a result, most schools will only accept clep as LL.

If you are lucky you might find a school that counts a few cleps as UL. For example, at the school I'm at the Business Law CLEP counts as UL, but that is only CLEP that counts as UL.
It depends on which school you're going to, but generally, CLEP is all lower level. I highly recommend using CLEP/MS for the first 90 credits to max out the credits you can get from CLEP/MS. In addition to that, if you're starting from scratch, to do all the FREE courses on the wiki. You should take the majority of Upper Level courses from the College/University itself as most of them will have residency requirements in addition to their program requirements.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
UL means upper level, and refers to courses that you'd take your junior/senior years in college - as opposed to ones you take your freshman/sophomore years that are more introductory.

You can't use course numbers to figure it out, because lots of schools don't use the 100/200/300/400 or 1000/2000/3000/4000 system (although it would certainly make life easier if they all did!).

CLEPs are all ACE-recommended for LL credit, and the vast majority of schools give LL credit for them if they give any at all.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Here are some other common terms that might trip some people up: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Common_Terms
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
Thanks - this is really useful.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Zo_ey's post:
  • suzycupcake