Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What does anybody think of this information?
B.A. to Ph.D. for under $15,000: How I did it - The American Vision

What does anybody think of this information? I have looked at the universities in South Africa myself...and may again after I see what people think. Thank you!
BA Liberal Arts in 2014 from Excelsior College. (Took 25 tests)
Certificate in Writing in 2018 from University of Washington.
Current: MA in Humanities from American Public University.
Have 180 hour TEFL/TESOL Advanced Cert from TEFL HERO.
Member of World Genius Directory. IQ 148 SD 15/IQ 151 SD 16.
There is a lot of information on UNISA on the other forum. Their website is difficult to navigate. Even though it's a PhD by dissertation, don't expect it to be a short process. I heard you're pretty much on your own. A professor in my doctoral program is from Europe. She said the dissertations for dissertation-only programs are about 3 times the size of what one would do in the U.S. She said hers was really three dissertations in one. I wonder when the author attended University of Pretoria. While still cheap, the tuition and fees at the South African Universities go up every year. I think UNISA is about $1400 per year. If you can finish in 5 years, it'll be $7,000 unless the tuition continues to go up. That's not bad, but it's not the $3,000 the author paid. Also, expect to pay out of pocket. You cannot receive financial aid for distance education programs in foreign countries.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Yeah, after reading the article, I would agree with sanantone that the information about cost is outdated. To be honest, I really question the motives of someone getting a PhD from Africa (or India or, etc.) Like the author says, "My view, simply put, is that a Ph.D. can open some doors for a limited number of people (rightly or wrongly), or it could be another very expensive piece of wallpaper. Or worse, one more thorn in your crown of pride."

The author had some compelling reasons for choosing the program that he did, but he seems to have been theologically motivated. What doors would this open for you? What doors would it potentially shut? Is it just for personal enrichment, or did you have another use in mind? Even if the program required you to write the equivalent of three dissertations, we all know by now that quantity of work produced does not ensure quality.

You are going to be paying out of pocket, so that's another consideration. I think you should put a lot of thought into this before you make a decision. I would not go into this without a clear game plan.
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:
Texas A&M University-Commerce - BGS

COMPLETED:
Southeast Tourism Society - TMP (02/2020)
Pierpont Community and Technical College - AAS BOG, AOE: English (12/2018)
FEMA - PDS Certificate (04/30/2014)
GED (11/16/2004)
I paid for 3 of the 4 years of the BA myself. My employer refused to pay for tests while paying for any number of other students classes, books, and parking fees. I also paid for my AA and BA graduation fees, not that those were very high. My employer did pay the annual student services fees most years. Theologically or Psychologically motivated degrees are just fine with me. All of my Capstone papers started out one way or the other and ended up as Psych treatises. Smile
I think the South African universities are safe in that they would be viewed as legitimate in the U.S., but they would probably be on par with doctoral degrees from Capella and Walden. You can use them to teach at a non-traditional college or maybe full-time or as an adjunct at some no-name school, but you're going to have a hard time getting a tenure-track position at a traditional university. It would be safer to go with a school in Australia or Western Europe. No one is going to question University of London.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
sanantone Wrote:I think the South African universities are safe in that they would be viewed as legitimate in the U.S., but they would probably be on par with doctoral degrees from Capella and Walden. You can use them to teach at a non-traditional college or maybe full-time or as an adjunct at some no-name school, but you're going to have a hard time getting a tenure-track position at a traditional university. It would be safer to go with a school in Australia or Western Europe. No one is going to question University of London.

This sounds like VERY GOOD advice!! Smile
University of London doesn't seem to have a Masters in Psychology, at least not currently listed. I will check the Aussie/Kiwi contingent! Smile
dewisant Wrote:University of London doesn't seem to have a Masters in Psychology, at least not currently listed. I will check the Aussie/Kiwi contingent! Smile

If you're looking for a masters degree, I'm not sure if you would save much money by going to a foreign school. Have you looked at online degree programs in your state?
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
I am looking for something less than $500 per credit. That means Phoenix is right out! The more online the better (did I just say that?). And, there is a great article in Psychology Today (April 2014) about 21 Ways to be a Shrink that has a chart that compares the various degree levels. Smile The HUX degree is still winning, but an MA/MS in Psychology is catching up.
dewisant Wrote:I am looking for something less than $500 per credit. That means Phoenix is right out! The more online the better (did I just say that?). And, there is a great article in Psychology Today (April 2014) about 21 Ways to be a Shrink that has a chart that compares the various degree levels. Smile The HUX degree is still winning, but an MA/MS in Psychology is catching up.

GetEducated is a little out of date, but it'll give you a generally idea of what schools charge. Do you need a regionally accredited degree? If this is just for self-fulfillment, there are some cheap, DETC schools.
Online Degree Search Results: 1406 Accredited Online Masters Degree Programs | GetEducated.com
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  So... I decided doing a UK Level 5 on Information Technology, here's why elcastor21 15 856 03-09-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Metropolia Transition to Bachelor of Engineering in Information Technology aleksa 10 1,440 11-09-2023, 03:36 PM
Last Post: aleksa
  Distance Learning Information and Conversation Discord Server ThatBankDude 5 795 06-28-2023, 08:35 PM
Last Post: xianbd
  Alternatives for basic computer and information literacy dscat 7 802 02-28-2023, 10:23 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Thank you for the many years of useful information vetvso 2 484 09-25-2022, 04:29 AM
Last Post: vetvso
  Legitimacy of "US Dept of Edu Student Information Center" FrHaseKopf 4 841 06-14-2022, 08:31 AM
Last Post: carrythenothing
  Northwestern State competency based - BS in Computer Information Systems nyvrem 13 1,921 08-10-2021, 09:23 PM
Last Post: gams007
  How valid is all this information for International Students? Geta 13 1,785 08-24-2020, 08:35 PM
Last Post: Geta
  FIU Executive Certificate in Information Operations and Policy Innovation, $395 Life Long Learning 0 584 06-15-2020, 08:54 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  University for Information Technology? shamin 9 1,786 03-18-2019, 01:12 PM
Last Post: shamin