Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What happens if you fail a Sophia course?
I just stumbled into this amazing world of alternative credits within the past week. I've read the FAQ at Sophia and can't seem to find what happens if you fail a course. I do see they allow one retake on certain checkpoints but what if you fail your one retake? My other question I can't seem to find an answer to is how fast you can reasonably complete Sophia courses? 
I'm so extited to find out that the college I'm transfer to accepts Sophia. I'm bringing in about 40 credits, which leaves potential 50 more I can get elsewhere before mid January. Would it be more realistic to push my start session out to complete more Sophia courses?
Sophia is open book, so it's very difficult to actually fail a Sophia course as long as you are actually putting in a solid effort. That said, I think the policy is that you have to wait 60 days before you are allowed to restart from the beginning.

Depending on what you already know, most Sophia courses can be completed in a matter of days to a week or so. Most students can complete most of what Sophia has to offer in a matter of 2-3 months. Courses with multiple Touchstones (see https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/So...lency_List to see which those are) can take significantly longer to complete. We currently do not recommend that students take English Comp or the database course from Sophia. English Comp has inconsistent grading and, although it has no Touchstones, the database course has a massive amount of work. The database course alone can potentially take 3-4 weeks to complete and it really requires a student to have at least two monitors.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • Pikachu
70% is the "passing" grade, so anything over 70% and you're good to go... I haven't failed any Sophia.org course, but some have reported they were able to redo the course by emailing/chatting with the support team. You can redo the entire course, furthermore, I highly recommend a second monitor for having the course material on, and the quiz/test on the other... BTW, why think of failing when it's all open book, resources are all there... think of getting it done and not retaking it, you've got this!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 2 users Like bjcheung77's post:
  • BitWiseGuy, k-k-k-katy
You are allowed one retake per challenge and one retake per milestone.  You have to contact Sophia's staff to be granted a retake. 

If you score less than 50% on any milestone, you failed and can't move on even if your grade-point average is above 70%.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • Pikachu

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Recent Sophia.org Membership Code bjcheung77 101 52,377 Yesterday, 06:22 PM
Last Post: awildstudentappeared
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 7 381 03-23-2024, 03:16 AM
Last Post: Kab
  Non-course equivalency at TESU for Sophia Principles of Finance? Yenisei 7 278 03-18-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 7 6,798 03-16-2024, 06:45 PM
  How to get ACE credits such as Sophia on official college transcript Student3452 18 4,870 03-08-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: Gumbeaux
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,397 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  Sophia | US Government bradonomics 3 604 03-01-2024, 09:13 PM
  Sophia - Managerial Accounting and Lifespan chentastic 36 3,962 02-28-2024, 09:41 AM
Last Post: vaticidalprophet
  Sophia English Comp II vs CLEP College Composition davemodular 9 563 02-17-2024, 01:56 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
Thumbs Up Sophia Review: Finished 6 Courses in 1 Week Ares 11 1,811 02-11-2024, 04:54 PM
Last Post: Ares