Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What have you given up to get your degree?
I was wondering how many people have to put education ahead of leisure time and friends and sometimes family and what they have given up. I am on a mission to finish my Psychology Degree. I want to get going on my Accounting Degree as soon as possible. This summer alone I have given up (in no specific order):

- Concerts. My fabulous seats to a John Mayer concert at an outside venue. I bought these tickets when they came out not knowing that I would be working so hard on school. I am a huge JM fan. This was probably the most difficult thing for me to miss.
- Concerts. I couldn't attend the Sheryl Crow concert at an open venue this summer. My daughter wanted to take me. I didn't even think about buying tickets. I am also a huge Sheryl Crow fan.
- My son graduated from high school this year and I have had to miss several of his friends' graduation parties. I am friends with the parents so I missed out on these social events.
- College graduation parties. My godchild graduated from college this year and there was a party to help her celebrate that I missed.
- Weddings. My sister's step-daughter got married and my little niece was in the wedding. I had to miss both the wedding and the reception because the only testing time I could get at a Pearson Vue was on a Saturday at 5:00 pm. At least I'll get to see pictures.
- Taking my son to buy his stuff for college. I really wanted to go with him.
- Family Cookouts. Normally we would have invited my sisters and families and my parents but I didn't have the time. We just had immediate family and it hardly felt like the holiday.
- My niece's softball games. They are going to state, the first time in our area that age group made it to state.
- Numerous other social functions and fund raisers that I would have liked to attend but had to decline. I still bought the tickets for the fundraisers.
- Numerous dinners with friends that we would have had at our house or gone to friends' house.
- Numerous invitations to go out to dinner with girlfriends. They keep reminding me about going out to dinner.
- Keeping the house as neat and orderly as I would have liked. I have had to let bill paying and cards and other paperwork go and at times I have spent MORE time finding what I was looking for than if it was put in the right place. A couple of times we almost got charged late fees on things because the bill fell to the bottom of the pile.

Does anyone else feel like their life is on hold!!!!???? I hope I don't sound bitter because I'm not but I am sad that I wasn't able to do it all. The sacrifice is worth it to me. I really want my degrees. For me, getting a degree is something that I never dreamed I would ever get at my age. This really is a dream coming true for me.
Dawn
Taking the Road Less Traveled
The Journey of A Thousand Miles Starts with The First CLEP

BS-Psychology - Excelsior College
Enrolled in the School of Business, BS in Accounting
After MIS I'll be halfway there!
72 CLEP Credits, 21 DSST Credits, 25 ECE Credits (Including Inf Lit), 6 TESC Credits, 2 FEMA Credits = 126 Total
Withholding 6 Credits for Accounting = 120 for Psychology
12 credits completed toward my accounting degree
[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Navy"]You're right, there were many times that I put my life and family on hold - for just 3 years, but enjoyed so much before I decided to go back to school rather than what I could have, would have, should have finished nearly 30 years ago. I enjoyed quite a bit during that time, started a career, and raised a family.

Could have, would have, should have options can drive you insane but getting it (your degree) done can and should be a priority in this order - Family first, Job second, degree third.

It can be done, I'm living proof as are so many of our fellow IC-Classmates as you are too! [/COLOR][/SIZE]
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
IC Forums Senior Super Moderator  
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
God Bless The USA :patriot:
I'm so excited about going back to school after all these years -- I'm 46 -- I haven't really thought about what I might have to give up.

There's the extra income I won't be earning any more, since I'm quitting my job as a home health nurse, to attend classes fulltime. We'll have to adjust to living on just hubby's earnings, which will probably mean less money for recreation, eating out, shopping, etc.

Becky
On my way to a B. S. in Elementary Education from Missouri State University

CLEP tests passed:
[COLOR="Indigo"]US [COLOR="Indigo"]History 1 ~ 66
Intro. Psych ~ 66
US History 2 ~ 60
Macroeconomics ~ 54
American Government ~ 64
Intro. Sociology ~ 69[/COLOR]Smile[/COLOR]
Unless you're 19 and going to school on the parents' dime I think anybody who makes the decision to pursue a post-HS education is going to have to make sacrifices. I've personally missed vacations, social engagements out the whazoo, and other material wants such as a new car due to investing time and money into an education. I'm hoping in the long run it'll be worth it.
I m edumakated thanx to distunce lerning.

MEd, Texas A&M University, 2018
MBA, University of North Dakota, 2014
MS, University of Illinois Springfield, 2010
BSBA, Thomas Edison State University, 2008
AS / AAS, Tidewater Community College, 2004
I've given up overtime to study, especially before big tests.

Last week I didn't go on a 30-mile bike ride with my co workers because I needed to study.

I give up most of my leisure time in the evenings. If there's a TV on in the background, I might catch a little while I'm studying, but most of the time people talk about current TV shows and I have no clue.

I couldn't go fishing with my dad a couple weeks ago because it was a test day, but I rescheduled it for tomorrow. Smile

I wanted to wait until after my last test to enroll my dog in obedience training, but she becomes such a spaz around other dogs when we run that I've decided to do it early.

There are numerous distance ed certificates that I would like to do, but I've been waiting to start those as well.
------

It does feel like my life is on hold, but hopefully one day soon I will be able to glance up at my shiny new diploma on the wall as I'm leaving the house to do whatever I want! Wink
[COLOR="Navy"]BS Liberal Arts
Excelsior College

MS Psychology
California Coast University[/color]
Ive had to give up my physical health.

sleeping in.

sometimes going out to the movies.

summer vacation.
Great question. I imagine we've all given up personal things/events in our life to continue our education. None of the things I've missed have been earth shattering, and in the end, I doubt I'll even miss them. I was able to prioritize my family first, so I didn't miss out there and I don't own a TV, so I tend to be more productive with my evening time after my boy goes to sleep. You'd be surprised to find how much extra time you'll have, both for yourself and your family, if you get rid of your TV; every second spent in front of it, is time you'll never get back.

I choose to focus on the rewards those sacrifices will produce. Once I compare the rewards, with what I gave up, I find there really isn't anything to compare; I guess it's really how you look at it.

The question I ask myself is where would I be now if I didn't sacrifice those menial things?
[SIZE="2"]Associates Degree, Aviation Maintenance Technology, Community College of the Air Force[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]Bachelors of Science, Liberal Studies Degree, Excelsior [/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]MBA Human Resource Management, California Coast University[/SIZE]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Abide University Honorary Doctors Degree bjcheung77 0 542 07-07-2023, 02:17 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TEFL opportunities without a degree Personherebb9 3 489 06-11-2023, 03:09 AM
  for those who have a math degree - is your job math related ? bluebooger 0 528 03-22-2022, 11:42 AM
Last Post: bluebooger
  How has getting a degree from the Big Three (and others) changed your career or life? schristian10 3 929 01-21-2022, 09:43 AM
Last Post: williammosher
  Dr. Amy Cuddy 8 years for 1 degree ashkir 3 950 07-11-2021, 01:56 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  Degree Forgery Alpha 8 1,568 04-28-2021, 05:16 PM
  History of Degree "Hacking" collegehacked 8 2,668 07-13-2020, 09:48 AM
Last Post: collegehacked
  Excelsior Graduate earns Master's degree. Oh yeah, she's 14 MNomadic 7 1,637 06-17-2020, 02:51 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  For Sale: Southeastern US Bachelor Degree Granting College bjcheung77 6 1,954 06-04-2020, 10:03 AM
Last Post: lillingworth
  How has your degree improved your life? kevinmane 21 6,421 03-12-2020, 04:27 AM
Last Post: Zo_ey