Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is the Cheapest or Most Affordable Emergency Management Associate?
Associate or Certificate?

How much would I need to pay to get either of them. Using the FEMA Courses.

Thank you in advance.
Utilizing FEMA courses, the cheapest would be Frederick Community College. You would have to pay $80/per IS course/credit to get it converted to an FCC transcript. Please see the following link to see degree plans and costs.

Emergency Management - Frederick Community College

For a certificate - $1,920 where you will still have to take an English Gen Ed course
For an AAS - you will have to take several Gen Eds/Electives as well
AAS in Environmental Safety & Security Technologies from TESC - Completed 2014
and BA Emergency & Disaster Mgmt at American Military University with a minor in Security Management - Completed

Completed:
FEMA: 20 credit hours, B&M: 33 credit hours, AARTS: 14 credit hours, certifications
ALEKS: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra
CLEP: Analyzing & Interpret. Literature CLEP - 66, English Composition Modular CLEP - 58, American Government CLEP - 58, Social Sciences & History CLEP - 63
DSST: Intro to Computing DSST - 452
Straighterline: Business Ethics (88%), Criminal Justice (94%), World Religions (93%), Cultural Anthropology (92%), Intro to Sociology (94%)
TECEP: CIS 107, ENGL 102, PSY 270, BIO 208
Actually...you could complete an AS General Studies at Charter Oak and the FEMA would be free. It wouldn't expressly be in EM, but I'm not one to feel this makes any difference....others will disagree. I would do that, and put it on my resume like this:

"AS, General Studies, with concentration in Emergency Management Charter Oak State College"

You could theoretically bring in around 30 FEMA and the rest could be CBE or what have you to fill in the Gen Eds....and of course the cornerstone. Could likely be done for less than $1500 or so.

You know that FEMA has a couple of certificates they themselves issue...there is a PDS and APS (the APS has other requirements)....these are free or nearly so.

Red Rocks CC in Colorado, Clackamus in Oregon and Guam CC all have AS degree's using FEMA...but other requirements make them hard to impossible.

Fun list here as well http://training.fema.gov/hiedu/collegelist/ some take the FEMA IS courses others don't, but interesting programs out there.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
rebel100 Wrote:Actually...you could complete an AS General Studies at Charter Oak and the FEMA would be free. It wouldn't expressly be in EM, but I'm not one to feel this makes any difference....others will disagree. I would do that, and put it on my resume like this:

"AS, General Studies, with concentration in Emergency Management Charter Oak State College"

You could theoretically bring in around 30 FEMA and the rest could be CBE or what have you to fill in the Gen Eds....and of course the cornerstone. Could likely be done for less than $1500 or so.

You know that FEMA has a couple of certificates they themselves issue...there is a PDS and APS (the APS has other requirements)....these are free or nearly so.

Red Rocks CC in Colorado, Clackamus in Oregon and Guam CC all have AS degree's using FEMA...but other requirements make them hard to impossible.

Fun list here as well Emergency Management Institute (EMI) | The College List - Colleges, Universities and Institutions Offering Emergency Management Courses some take the FEMA IS courses others don't, but interesting programs out there.

COSC would count the FEMAs for degree requirement? I was under the impression they would be free electives. That's awesome.
and BA Emergency & Disaster Mgmt at American Military University with a minor in Security Management - Completed

Completed:
FEMA: 20 credit hours, B&M: 33 credit hours, AARTS: 14 credit hours, certifications
CLEP: Analyzing & Interpret. Literature CLEP - 66, English Composition Modular CLEP - 58, American Government CLEP - 58, Social Sciences & History CLEP - 63
Straighterline: Business Ethics (88%), Criminal Justice (94%), World Religions (93%), Cultural Anthropology (92%), Intro to Sociology (94%)
defscarlett Wrote:COSC would count the FEMAs for degree requirement? I was under the impression they would be free electives. That's awesome.
Well , I put this to a counselor and was told that as long as the Gen Eds were met then the FEMA could fill the rest...it was a few years ago. I think I posted a copy of the correspondence on here somewhere when it was going down.

I would really love to see someone put together a program that would allow LL credit through FEMA and UL credit through the advanced State EM, FEMA and CDP in residence courses to build a AS/BS scaffold at an affordable price. I even put this before the players at COSC but couldn't get any traction with it. Hell, I would love to run it for the right school (AMU, COSC, CSU-P, etc...)
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
rebel100 Wrote:Actually...you could complete an AS General Studies at Charter Oak and the FEMA would be free. It wouldn't expressly be in EM, but I'm not one to feel this makes any difference....others will disagree. I would do that, and put it on my resume like this:

You could theoretically bring in around 30 FEMA and the rest could be CBE or what have you to fill in the Gen Eds....and of course the cornerstone.

That actually would not be much different from the FCC degree.

To get the Associate of Applied Science at FCC, you have to complete an internship. It may be difficult finding one in your area, or the time to do it, but I think it would compliment your degree nicely.

I know that the FEMA classes teach you things, I have my PDS certificate and I feel I learned a lot, but it is an open book scenario with no guidance. At least at FCC they will test you on the material learned. That isn't the case if you just put a lot of loose FEMA credits into an AS. Personally, I like having that little extra boost in credibility.

Without having any data to back me up, I think an employer might appreciate that as well. I do know that several members of this board got that EM-esque AAS from TESC when they still took FEMA credits for the degree. Maybe they can chime in with some differing opinions on the subject.

Here is a link to a thread I started: http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...ement.html

It has a lot of useful information in it. It might be helpful if you told us what your plans were for the degree/certificate, if you already have a degree, how many credits you have now, etc. Might help us better help you.
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:
Texas A&M University-Commerce - BGS

COMPLETED:
Southeast Tourism Society - TMP (02/2020)
Pierpont Community and Technical College - AAS BOG, AOE: English (12/2018)
FEMA - PDS Certificate (04/30/2014)
GED (11/16/2004)
rebel100 Wrote:Well , I put this to a counselor and was told that as long as the Gen Eds were met then the FEMA could fill the rest...it was a few years ago. I think I posted a copy of the correspondence on here somewhere when it was going down.

I would really love to see someone put together a program that would allow LL credit through FEMA and UL credit through the advanced State EM, FEMA and CDP in residence courses to build a AS/BS scaffold at an affordable price. I even put this before the players at COSC but couldn't get any traction with it. Hell, I would love to run it for the right school (AMU, COSC, CSU-P, etc...)

AMU will only accept FEMAs, even 90% of in residence courses, as Free Electives and not in the degree field. However FCC has articulation agreements with the following schools according to the above link

• Charter Oak State College (COSC)–Public Safety Administration Concentration
  • University of Maryland University College (UMUC)–B.S. Emergency Management, B.S., Homeland Security
  • Northwestern State University of Louisiana (NSU) - B.S. Unified Public Safety Administration : Emergency Management Administration Concentration
  • Capella University - B.S. Public Safety

Completed:
rebel100 Wrote:Well , I put this to a counselor and was told that as long as the Gen Eds were met then the FEMA could fill the rest...it was a few years ago. I think I posted a copy of the correspondence on here somewhere when it was going down.

It's really hard to find UL EM programs through DL. I think it would be pretty awesome, but it might turn into a logistical nightmare given all the differing state requirements.
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:
Texas A&M University-Commerce - BGS

COMPLETED:
Southeast Tourism Society - TMP (02/2020)
Pierpont Community and Technical College - AAS BOG, AOE: English (12/2018)
FEMA - PDS Certificate (04/30/2014)
GED (11/16/2004)
I'm really enjoying APU/AMU's Emergency Management degree at the moment. However, it is costing me quite a bit, both in time and finances

Completed:
Yes, the UL are tough, thing is most State agencies and the Feds offer advanced face to face teaching that could be assessed for credit. The Center for Domestic preparedness is a great example. These aren't open to everyone, but there are enough that it could be most useful Training by Discipline | CDP.DHS.gov Great thing is that the Feds even cover your airfare, food, and lodging when you take these. Most are 32+ contact hours. They would make a fine UL credit and the information directly correlates...it would take a situation like FCC (right down the street from the FEMA National Training Center in Fredericksburg) to pull it off though.
AS in EMS August 2010

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Associate degrees??? midnite123 10 663 04-03-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Cheapest degree in graphic design? blablablox 10 647 03-30-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Free or affordable Christian Chaplaincy Online Sowak777 4 464 02-21-2024, 06:39 AM
Last Post: The need 2 learn
  Affordable Educational Institution Consultant 16 1,340 01-29-2024, 11:50 AM
  Cheapest Dual Enrollment For Advanced Math the_epic_man 3 389 01-11-2024, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Yenisei
  Project Management Training: ENEB, Google or others? JPN 9 2,438 12-08-2023, 06:34 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Cheapest way to complete CS prerequisites (RA Credits)? therightstuff 18 1,841 11-01-2023, 02:13 AM
Last Post: therightstuff
  TECEP Operations Management colinsr 4 587 10-09-2023, 11:06 AM
  These associate degree majors lead to higher incomes than a 4-year bachelor's. LevelUP 4 615 10-07-2023, 04:35 PM
  7 Time-Management Tips for Online College Students LevelUP 0 484 02-08-2023, 04:34 PM
Last Post: LevelUP