Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is this AAS BOG Pierpont degree I see discussed
(06-20-2018, 09:39 PM)miah Wrote:
(06-20-2018, 09:14 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(06-20-2018, 09:00 PM)miah Wrote: It's not for me. It's more of an information gathering for parents of teens that are struggling in traditional HS programs. For example, our state has a 24 college cr GenED diploma that can be substituted for a traditiona HS diploma.
But I'm interested in finding out what other programs exist out there for students that might otherwise "drop out" of HS altogether.
I know of so many students that just struggle in traditional HS. So I'm just trying to research alternatives out there.
Plus, I'm studying HigherEdStudentAffairs and would like to be able to advise students of ALL the options they have to earn a college degree!
From what I see, HS today isn't productive for most college bound students. And for students that struggle in HS, they may otherwise drop out. So having knowledge of alternatives to share with other parents is extremely useful.
Unfortunately, I've been jaded from my experiences with our local middle and high schools and how they've perpetuated generational poverty and illiteracy and innumeracy. They know the student population they have attending, yet they are not doing anything substantial to close the gaps with these kids. And in our case, they refused to provide what was needed (yet it was what they provide to some of the students, but repeatedly refused provide to my foster kids.) Hence we were pushed out to the private sector, yet it was the best thing in the long run, as it resulted in closing gaps and proper instructional methods. And one blew them all out of the water on the level of academic success that the student obtained (no thanks to the public school system.) Thank goodness for local volunteer OrtonGillingham tutors (at a not for profit group using Alphabetic Phonics and a volunteer foster/adopt Mom who tutored using Wilson Reading 2 years twice a week for an hour and then an hour travel time both days each way- so huge commitment but so worth it in the end!) Kiddo graduated as Jr a year ahead of cohort class with 33 college credits. And then earned an associate degree at 17 the following Spring a month before cohort class graduated from HS, and is working on finishing up a bachelor degree now by 20 after a couple rocky semesters mixed in, but seems back on track again finally! So I'm all for alternatives to the traditional b&m f2f classrooms of the last Century! Current public education seems outdated and inefficient. When so many kids graduate or drop out without having learned how to read and write proficiently nor proficient in foundational math skills, I don't see the value in the end product. It definitely doesn't pass a cost benefit analysis in my neck of the country. The money our state pays every year in education tends to be in the top slots for per student spending, so its not a lack of money being thrown at education that is the issue in this state!

This is not the program you're looking for.  It's for people who already have at least 12cr of college - so not for the normal HS dropout, or kid who's looking for an alternative to HS.

But it's still an option for people once they get to 12 college credits! And that is only 3-4 classes. I'm looking for alternatives! So this is an option after they have completed 3-4 classes.

The degree is for high school graduates who graduated two or more years ago AND have 12 graded college credits earned at a regionally accredited college. If they meet that requirement, then the advantage of choosing the degree is that they don't require specific courses, rather courses can come from categories. The category "Math and Sciences" doesn't stipulate the specific math and science courses, so students can choose. But the majority of people doing this degree have the entire degree completed before they apply- meaning they have well over 60 credits and haven't been able to use them anywhere. They may be in progress toward a bachelors, and can pick this up on the way, or this may be a way to consolidate a lot of patchwork credit.
As someone who also works with teens, this isn't a good fit for a lot of reasons, but mainly because few will qualify. For their parents? Great opportunity.
From https://www.pierpont.edu/ac/programs/board-governors

Program Purpose: 

The Board of Governors A.A.S. Degree is a degree program designed to help adults achieve their personal and or professional goals and complete a college degree without committing to a specific academic major.  This degree program is open to any student who has graduated from high school two or more years prior; students who earned GEDs are welcome to enroll if their assigned graduating class has been out of high school two years or more.
TESU BA June 2018.
Various business certificates still to do.
What does it cost in total? I see a $10 per credit transfer fees and a $300 evaluation fees, yet many people here write it is absolutely free.
The $300 is just if you want them to do a portfolio assessment of your life/work history.

If you already have all the needed credits you just have to enroll and send in transcripts. The only cost is the cost of sending transcripts. The $300 PLA is not necessary.
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:
Texas A&M University-Commerce - BGS

COMPLETED:
Southeast Tourism Society - TMP (02/2020)
Pierpont Community and Technical College - AAS BOG, AOE: English (12/2018)
FEMA - PDS Certificate (04/30/2014)
GED (11/16/2004)
I see, thanks!
(08-25-2018, 05:51 AM)Nightmoves5 Wrote: I see, thanks!

If you want a transcript, you will have to take a class at the college. If you don't want a transcript, it will not cost you anything. It will also take months of your time to have everything figured out.
WGU BSCSIA (In progress starting Feb 1st 2019)  49/122 credit hours.
PierPont BOG A.A.S 2018

CompTIA A+,Sec+.
SL. Intro to Environmental Science, Intro to Biology.  6 Credit hours.
Brick and Mortar college's 50 RA credits.
Pierpont institutional credit  INFO 2207, INFO 2256, INFO 2305. 9 Credit hours.
Sophia.
 Developing Effective Teams, The Essentials of Managing Conflict. 2 Credit hours
The Institutes. 312N-H Ethics, 2 credit hours.
Brick and Mortar College. Eng 205 research writing, 3 credit hours.

CLEP. Information Systems, 3 Credit hours.
Stanford Online. America's Poverty and Inequality Course, Statement of accomplishment.  
Was just asking out of interest, but thanks anyway :-)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nightmoves5's post:
  • Life_One

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Pierpont BOG AAS - AoE Graphics Technology Aikuroa 2 80 10 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  credit transfer process at Pierpont for AAS, BOG tdat314 8 500 04-17-2024, 12:49 AM
  Pierpont associates Query Jbloggs 3 165 04-15-2024, 04:02 PM
  International Students for Pierpont BOG AAS Program weelun 18 894 04-13-2024, 03:54 AM
Last Post: stevenphm
  Eligibility and Transfer Credits for Pierpont’s AAS Program akr680 19 699 04-10-2024, 06:45 PM
Last Post: akr680
  Pierpont BOG possible? JohnJ2024 4 784 04-03-2024, 03:53 PM
Last Post: mr_peanutbutter
  Pierpont price hike NOX 12 767 03-26-2024, 01:08 PM
  Credit sufficiency for Pierpoint BOG Degree w/ AoE in IS DEPY 6 497 03-17-2024, 11:55 AM
  Update: Pierpont does not require HS Transcripts if you previously attended college Ares 5 673 03-14-2024, 07:09 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Anyone Have Issues Transferring Earned College Credits to Pierpont? Gumbeaux 17 1,057 03-07-2024, 11:38 AM