Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What % of people finish?
Obviously, I don't think anyone will know the exact number. 

But I know a lot of people come to this forum saying "I want to do this." But words and actions are two different things. I was wondering if anyone has an estimate of what percentage of people who joined this forum with the intent of earning a degree from the big 3/wgu actually go on to do so.
I cannot say for sure but consider people who are continuing and completed into the same category. Most of the completed have left here but a few of us still remain. 10% - 20% but there is allot who use this site without ever creating an account or signing in. I used the site from 2007 - 2010 and I never signed in and forgot my credentials even. It wasn't until 2010 before I started asking questions so it very hard to estimate honestly. I used the information here to validate my emergency management training back in 2007 - 2008 and was overseas but still made time once per week to keep up on new information and ideas here.
Our education has been used for years to travel the world within employment as an Expat. Pursue your dream, and never give up.
Studying Project Management, History, Business, Foreign languages, and culture. 
We post travel articles on my blog here. ExploreTraveler.com Also our Travel Vlog is here  ExploreTraveler Vlog
TESU BALS History Completion 9 CR Remaining & Dual Major BA.LSGM 2023 12 CR remaining
TESU BALS Social Sciences Confirmed 2019
UAF Foreign Languages German 2019 Finished 
City of Ur - 2019 Capstone is here
[-] The following 1 user Likes vetvso's post:
  • Joeman200
I have no idea how many complete the journey, but I bet the majority do not. 

I know this is my second round through this process. I started in 2011 but got sidetracked by life and had to put things on hold for 6 years or so. But, for me, second time was the charm. Smile
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
Yeah lots of people never post or they finish and never post they're done. Sometimes people post initially with lofty goals about how they want to test out of an engineering degree in 6 months for $5k but then realize they can't.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes MNomadic's post:
  • ThatBankDude
Quick google:

Graduations Rates within six years after beginning their degree.

64.3% COSC
45.6% Excelsior College
41.9% TESU
Ref: College Factual

This makes sense to me. Take Excelsior College with 90% of students are military and or nurses almost all are working full time. Military times list Excelsior College as having an 87% military graduation or transfer rate. EC only has a 5% student default rate (this will come from the 60% non-military students). This is a part-time education gig for most.

The REAL question is why B&M colleges have such low graduation rates of FULL-TIME students?
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

(12-01-2018, 06:30 PM)Life Long Learning Wrote: Quick google:

Graduations Rates within six years after beginning their degree.

64.3% COSC
45.6% Excelsior College
41.9% TESU
Ref: College Factual

This makes sense to me.  Take Excelsior College with 90% of students are military and or nurses almost all are working full time.  Military times list Excelsior College as having an 87% military graduation or transfer rate.  EC only has a 5% student default rate (this will come from the 60% non-military students).   This is a part-time education gig for most.  

The REAL question is why B&M colleges have such low graduation rates of FULL-TIME students?

That makes sense for the big 3 in general, but I'd argue that most of those graduates are probably taking a more traditional approach to their education. I think in this case we're more interested in how many students use what they learn here to go on to complete a degree. I can't think of an easy way to quantitatively measure that.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(12-01-2018, 05:29 PM)MNomadic Wrote: Yeah lots of people never post or they finish and never post they're done. Sometimes people post initially with lofty goals about how they want to test out of an engineering degree in 6 months for $5k but then realize they can't.

Yeah true. I know some people come to this forum would a lot of credit and are just a few classes away from a degree. But the people who come here with zero credit trying to earn a degree in sixth months from scratch I was more wondering about them. Yes it can be done but earning 120 credits in six months takes a lot of work and is not a an easy feat.

Im interested in this because I heard that in America only about half of all college freshman will graduate in six years. That's crazy!

And even people don't go through the big 3 or wgum Getting credit through Clep, Ace, nccrs, etc. can certainly help a students chance of graduating quickly at (almost) any University.
Btw, I used an engineering degree as an example because it is not possible to completely test out of that field from scratch, not cheap, and not quick. Absolutely there are many examples of people testing out of an entire degree from scratch in a short term though.

Example: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Transcript

Outside of the big 3, wgu, and a handful of other relatively flexible colleges, ACE and NCCRS are nearly worthless(besides ACE military transcripts, CLEP, AP and maybe DSST). This is slowly changing as many of the online providers put more focus on partnering with schools.

I definitely agree that CLEP and such are way underutilized as a way to speed up the degree and save money.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
(12-01-2018, 11:04 PM)MNomadic Wrote: Btw, I used an engineering degree as an example because it is not possible to completely test out of that field from scratch, not cheap, and not quick. Absolutely there are many examples of people testing out of an entire degree from scratch in a short term though.

Example: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Transcript

Outside of the big 3, wgu, and a handful of other relatively flexible colleges, ACE and NCCRS are nearly worthless(besides ACE military transcripts, CLEP, AP and maybe DSST). This is slowly changing as many of the online providers put more focus on partnering with schools.

I definitely agree that CLEP and such are way underutilized as a way to speed up the degree and save money.

Yeah I agree and I never said it wasnt possible. It just isn't easy, especially if you aren't willing to work for it

For sure, I used Clep to earn two associates degrees in two years. I only earned enough traditional in class credits for one degree, but when I found out the second degree only needed 15 additional credits, CLEP made it possible for me to earn two degrees in two years.

It all depends on the school honestly, some schools take ace, nccrs, it depends and you definitely have to do a lot of research and talking on the phone with people to make it work for you.
(12-01-2018, 10:47 PM)natshar Wrote: Im interested in this because I heard that in America only about half of all college freshman will graduate in six  years. That's crazy!

The 6-year graduation rate is 60% overall.  66 percent at private nonprofit institutions Big Grin , 59 percent at public institutions, and 26 percent at private for-profit institutions.
https://nces.ed.gov/fastfacts/display.asp?id=40
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  People Who Regret Their College Majors Are Sharing What Their Major Was LevelUP 22 1,567 02-26-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Univ of People partners with Sophia.org for degree pathway! bjcheung77 3 786 05-08-2023, 09:08 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  WGU, SNHU, University of the People - Mega Universities bjcheung77 8 2,177 03-27-2023, 06:01 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Transcript hold at college. How to finish CS degree elsewhere? HawkofDarkness 35 2,842 10-18-2022, 11:38 AM
Last Post: Alpha
  Why do people drop out? Alpha 8 917 10-13-2022, 02:03 PM
Last Post: sparcleofyumm
  People treating you differently since you've graduated? collegechick 29 3,396 04-24-2022, 12:20 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
  Tall people are more educated, short people are unhealthy bjcheung77 2 782 04-23-2022, 09:47 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
  What People Get Wrong About First-Generation College Students LevelUP 11 1,376 03-08-2022, 03:51 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
Question Why People Take SO LONG to Get Started? LevelUP 13 1,739 03-05-2022, 02:12 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Finish: This is how it looks like! (78 years later) bjcheung77 1 884 12-30-2021, 08:39 PM
Last Post: clep3705