Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What % of people finish?
(12-01-2018, 11:29 PM)Life Long Learning Wrote:
(12-01-2018, 10:47 PM)natshar Wrote: Im interested in this because I heard that in America only about half of all college freshman will graduate in six  years. That's crazy!

The 6-year graduation rate is 60% overall.  66 percent at private nonprofit institutions Big Grin , 59 percent at public institutions, and 26 percent at private for-profit institutions.
https://nces.ed.gov/fastfacts/display.asp?id=40

Still not too great. In all cases avoid for profit schools.
Many young people don't see the incentive to test out of classes. They are getting Pell Grants, scholarships and student loans and once they complete the BA/BS most of the scholarships are also gone. For a lot of them, the Batchelor's is just an advanced version of high school and they don't really see beyond that. Don't get me wrong some do see what they need to do but my point is they are incentivized to not test out so they can stay at that level as long as possible. On subsidized campus housing, food and a lot of support staff to assist and Cottle them. Major's, minors, certificates and every other extra the school will do it's best to help them stay. With federal funds, the staff enjoy great benefits and can retire.

Once they hit grad school things seem to become much more focused for those that even make it that far.
Our education has been used for years to travel the world within employment as an Expat. Pursue your dream, and never give up.
Studying Project Management, History, Business, Foreign languages, and culture. 
We post travel articles on my blog here. ExploreTraveler.com Also our Travel Vlog is here  ExploreTraveler Vlog
TESU BALS History Completion 9 CR Remaining & Dual Major BA.LSGM 2023 12 CR remaining
TESU BALS Social Sciences Confirmed 2019
UAF Foreign Languages German 2019 Finished 
City of Ur - 2019 Capstone is here
Students aren't choosing not to take CLEPs; they don't know what they are. Many kids take AP exams, but they're presented as being for the GT and honors kids. They aren't marketed to the average high school student.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • Muldoon
When I was in highschool, I had no idea AP courses could get you college credit. I thought they were just harder versions of normal courses, which sounded dumb to me. I didn't learn about CLEPs until I was in the service.

Actually, the first time I went to my local CC to do a CLEP, they were doing college tours for newcomers from highschool and as they passed me I heard him talking about how you can also do CLEPs at the testing center to save lots of time and money by testing out of courses and I saw most of the students rolling their eyes.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes MNomadic's post:
  • Ideas
(12-02-2018, 09:42 AM)MNomadic Wrote: When I was in highschool, I had no idea AP courses could get you college credit. I thought they were just harder versions of normal courses, which sounded dumb to me. I didn't learn about CLEPs until I was in the service.

Actually, the first time I went to my local CC to do a CLEP, they were doing college tours for newcomers from highschool and as they passed me I heard him talking about how you can also do CLEPs at the testing center to save lots of time and money by testing out of courses and I saw most of the students rolling their eyes.

Your high school didn't tell you that AP courses get an extra point? For example, an "A" in an AP course is worth five credits instead of four.

Most of the college graduates I've talked to either never heard of CLEP, or they heard it in passing without knowing what it was. Ironically, on this forum, I'm starting to see a growing aversion to CLEP and other CBEs. That's fine. A lot of people hate high-stakes testing, but I remember people racking up credits faster when they mostly relied on tests.

The CCs I attended never told me about CLEP.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
(12-02-2018, 10:10 AM)sanantone Wrote:
(12-02-2018, 09:42 AM)MNomadic Wrote: When I was in highschool, I had no idea AP courses could get you college credit. I thought they were just harder versions of normal courses, which sounded dumb to me. I didn't learn about CLEPs until I was in the service.

Your high school didn't tell you that AP courses get an extra point? For example, an "A" in an AP course is worth five credits instead of four.

Correct. They never told me. I heard second hand from another student halfway through my senior year. I did take a few Dual Enrollment courses but if I'd known about AP, I probably could have finished a year of college before finishing HS.

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
(12-02-2018, 10:20 AM)MNomadic Wrote:

Correct. They never told me. I heard second hand from another student halfway through my senior year. I did take a few Dual Enrollment courses but if I'd known about AP, I probably could have finished a year of college before finishing HS.

In my school district, the natural progression was from honors to pre-AP and then to AP courses. Teachers had to recommend you for honors courses, so like I said, AP courses weren't marketed to other students even though anyone could sign up.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
(12-02-2018, 10:49 AM)sanantone Wrote:
(12-02-2018, 10:20 AM)MNomadic Wrote:

In my school district, the natural progression was from honors to pre-AP and then to AP courses. Teachers had to recommend you for honors courses, so like I said, AP courses weren't marketed to other students even though anyone could sign up.

To be fair, I transferred from a small charter school my first 2 years to a major HS my last 2 years so I probably missed out on a lot of that useful information. I always had good grades and was in the more challenging classes grade school through junior high and my first 2 years of high school. I probably just fell through the cracks during my transfers and they didn't think it was pertinent that I be informed.

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
CSM(3cr)
(12-01-2018, 02:54 PM)natshar Wrote: Obviously, I don't think anyone will know the exact number. 

But I know a lot of people come to this forum saying "I want to do this." But words and actions are two different things. I was wondering if anyone has an estimate of what percentage of people who joined this forum with the intent of earning a degree from the big 3/wgu actually go on to do so.

we do know about 50% of registered college students that enroll at any college don't finish- and if I were guessing, I'd say that's 10x higher than us.

DIY your college experience takes exceptional motivation, and most people are not exceptionally motivated.
(12-02-2018, 11:04 AM)cookderosa Wrote:
(12-01-2018, 02:54 PM)natshar Wrote: Obviously, I don't think anyone will know the exact number. 

But I know a lot of people come to this forum saying "I want to do this." But words and actions are two different things. I was wondering if anyone has an estimate of what percentage of people who joined this forum with the intent of earning a degree from the big 3/wgu actually go on to do so.

we do know about 50% of registered college students that enroll at any college don't finish- and if I were guessing, I'd say that's 10x higher than us.  

DIY your college experience takes exceptional motivation, and most people are not exceptionally motivated.

I see the degree forum has three types.  

Lurkers - most likely very tiny graduation rate; 

Light Participants - higher than Lurkers, but way less than the national average;

Contributors Big Grin - folks who take time to research and contribute here. I am an optimist and think this group like us graduate at higher rates than the National 60% average.
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  People Who Regret Their College Majors Are Sharing What Their Major Was LevelUP 22 1,348 02-26-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Univ of People partners with Sophia.org for degree pathway! bjcheung77 3 740 05-08-2023, 09:08 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  WGU, SNHU, University of the People - Mega Universities bjcheung77 8 2,081 03-27-2023, 06:01 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Transcript hold at college. How to finish CS degree elsewhere? HawkofDarkness 35 2,760 10-18-2022, 11:38 AM
Last Post: Alpha
  Why do people drop out? Alpha 8 887 10-13-2022, 02:03 PM
Last Post: sparcleofyumm
  People treating you differently since you've graduated? collegechick 29 3,308 04-24-2022, 12:20 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
  Tall people are more educated, short people are unhealthy bjcheung77 2 755 04-23-2022, 09:47 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
  What People Get Wrong About First-Generation College Students LevelUP 11 1,352 03-08-2022, 03:51 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
Question Why People Take SO LONG to Get Started? LevelUP 13 1,709 03-05-2022, 02:12 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Finish: This is how it looks like! (78 years later) bjcheung77 1 867 12-30-2021, 08:39 PM
Last Post: clep3705