Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What % of young deaths are caused by nicotine
I'm having trouble researching this one. I can't seem to find the percentage of "young" (premature) deaths.
TESU BA in Criminal Justice, 2018
TRCC Emergency Management Certificate, 2018
(09-02-2017, 07:23 PM)Joeman200 Wrote: I'm having trouble researching this one. I can't seem to find the percentage of "young" (premature) deaths.

https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statist.../index.htm

This is a good link.

I find that when searching, sometimes the question isn't possible to be answered because of the way I've asked it. This isn't a criticism, it's a genuine effort to help you get to your answer. Researching is a muscle - the more you do it, the better you will become.
The problem, I think, is in your question.
I would first ask the percentage of what? Of people? Of deaths? The first order of business is to be hyper-defined in your question. In other words, "young" isn't defined. What do you mean by young?
To me, young means under age 18. I don't know that there have been any deaths caused by smoking in people under 18, there simply isn't enough time to do enough damage.
If you are wondering about premature deaths, that's also hard because it assumes the person doesn't have comorbidity (google that- it's important) and as we age, almost no one has only "one thing."

Still, the link above estimates that "Life expectancy for smokers is at least 10 years shorter than for nonsmokers" That may be what you're looking for.

You'll need to find another reliable source to find out the average life expectancy (of men or women who are also Americans) and then minus 10.

Also, if you were REALLY going to dive deep, know that cancer management is getting better and better- so people can live with cancer for longer than ever before, so people might be living longer, even though they are really really ill.

Hope that helps!

P.S. My mom died in 2009 from cancer caused by smoking. Every day you're alive is a good day to quit.
You might also try looking for the percentage of smokers who die of smoking related diseases.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Thanks for your answers and advice, they are very much appreciated!
TESU BA in Criminal Justice, 2018
TRCC Emergency Management Certificate, 2018
(09-03-2017, 08:45 PM)Joeman200 Wrote: Thanks for your answers and advice, they are very much appreciated!

I watched a documentary tonight you might like called Addiction Incorporated. Really good about the cigarette industry and the researcher who found the link between nicotine and addiction- I watched it on Hulu.