Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's "Intro to Programming in C++" at SL like??
I'm thinking about taking "Intro to C++" at SL for my degree in CIS but I'm a bit nervous to do so at the moment knowing I only have one chance to pass the course and that's it. Is there anything I can do first to prep myself before diving in?
[-] The following 1 user Likes waterpaper's post:
  • TacticalTechie
I'm currently doing it at SL...programming is like math, you just need to practice, try writing a few text based games or some programs to do anything really like probably try using C++ with QT or better yet SDL. I also recommend you look at youtube for anything you dont understand.

I'm not 100% sure cause I dint fail any SL course but zi think if you fail you can repurchase a course at SL.
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

[-] The following 1 user Likes armstrongsubero's post:
  • waterpaper
(07-02-2018, 10:58 PM)waterpaper Wrote: I'm thinking about taking "Intro to C++" at SL for my degree in CIS but I'm a bit nervous to do so at the moment knowing I only have one chance to pass the course and that's it. Is there anything I can do first to prep myself before diving in?

I took this a month or two ago and felt it was a pretty decent course. The lesson materials are straightforward. They walk you through everything slowly and give plenty of examples. If you run across something you don't understand, there are plenty of instructional support resources on the web. Plus there is a message board attached to the course that you can use to connect with the instructor (well, the guy who grades the submitted code) and other students for help.

I think there are at least two different versions of the course with different coding projects, but the projects in the version I took were based pretty closely on the material in the book, so there shouldn't be any surprises. That being said, that doesn't mean they were easy... just that they provide the framework necessary to understand what code you need to write. You will still need to evaluate the problems and come up with your own approach to the solutions.

Some of the exams can be a bit tricky since they word things oddly in a few cases, but they're not that bad overall.

The only real gotcha is that for all the projects you're expected to install and use a C++ compiler on your computer, but on the final exam there are like 4-5 coding questions which might be more challenging since you'll not have access to your C++ compiler. So you need to make sure you learn how to walk through the code in your head. (Technically there is one page in the lesson materials that contains a window with a live C++ interpreter. It can be used on the final exam, but it is fairly limited. It may help eliminate syntax errors though.)

In any case, if you work your way through the material and make sure you grasp the concepts well enough to complete the code projects, you will probably do pretty well. If you find yourself having issues, just slow down and spend more time on the theory. Don't be afraid to ask for help on the internal forum or use the external web resources.

As for retakes, at SL you can retake any course by paying for it again (or using a code to get a free course for that purpose, like RETAKE59 for example) as many times as you like. So don't sweat it too much.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(07-03-2018, 02:48 AM)Merlin Wrote:
(07-02-2018, 10:58 PM)waterpaper Wrote: I'm thinking about taking "Intro to C++" at SL for my degree in CIS but I'm a bit nervous to do so at the moment knowing I only have one chance to pass the course and that's it. Is there anything I can do first to prep myself before diving in?

I took this a month or two ago and felt it was a pretty decent course. The lesson materials are straightforward. They walk you through everything slowly and give plenty of examples. If you run across something you don't understand, there are plenty of instructional support resources on the web. Plus there is a message board attached to the course that you can use to connect with the instructor (well, the guy who grades the submitted code) and other students for help.

I think there are at least two different versions of the course with different coding projects, but the projects in the version I took were based pretty closely on the material in the book, so there shouldn't be any surprises. That being said, that doesn't mean they were easy... just that they provide the framework necessary to understand what code you need to write. You will still need to evaluate the problems and come up with your own approach to the solutions.

Some of the exams can be a bit tricky since they word things oddly in a few cases, but they're not that bad overall.

The only real gotcha is that for all the projects you're expected to install and use a C++ compiler on your computer, but on the final exam there are like 4-5 coding questions which might be more challenging since you'll not have access to your C++ compiler. So you need to make sure you learn how to walk through the code in your head. (Technically there is one page in the lesson materials that contains a window with a live C++ interpreter. It can be used on the final exam, but it is fairly limited. It may help eliminate syntax errors though.)

In any case, if you work your way through the material and make sure you grasp the concepts well enough to complete the code projects, you will probably do pretty well. If you find yourself having issues, just slow down and spend more time on the theory. Don't be afraid to ask for help on the internal forum or use the external web resources.

As for retakes, at SL you can retake any course by paying for it again (or using a code to get a free course for that purpose, like RETAKE59 for example) as many times as you like. So don't sweat it too much.

I'm also planning on taking C++ for my CIS degree at TESU, so thanks for your input. As for the C++ compiler, do you know if that's compatible with a Mac computer? Or would it work better with a PC?
(07-03-2018, 02:11 PM)studyandpass5 Wrote:
(07-03-2018, 02:48 AM)Merlin Wrote:

I'm also planning on taking C++ for my CIS degree at TESU, so thanks for your input. As for the C++ compiler, do you know if that's compatible with a Mac computer? Or would it work better with a PC?

You install and use your own compiler so it is up to you. The course will provide some suggestions, but you don't have to use them.

Since I am also using a Mac for my school stuff, and I already had Xcode installed, I just leveraged the built-in C++ compiler from there (it uses the LLVM clang compiler). But you could install GCC or whatever you like. C++ is standards-based, so any C++ compiler should work. A PC is not necessary.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:

WGU Ambassador
The best C++ compiler is CLION from Jetbrains. If you are already enrolled st TESU you get free academic pricing for a year...It is cross platform and works well.
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

(07-03-2018, 04:57 PM)armstrongsubero Wrote: The best C++ compiler is CLION from Jetbrains. If you are already enrolled st TESU you get free academic pricing for a year...It is cross platform and works well.

FYI, CLION is not a C++ compiler, it is an IDE (Integrated Development Environment). That basically means it is an integrated source code editor, debugger, and project/source code management toolkit with a bunch of bells & whistles to make coding larger or more complex projects easier. It can leverage both the GCC and CLANG compiler toolchain, so you still need to install one of those.

Yes, having an IDE is nice, but isn't really necessary for this course since the projects are so simple. If someone wants to continue to develop more complex projects after they have completed the course, then installing an IDE that targets the type of projects you're interested in creating is definitely a good idea.

As for best IDE's to use, it depends on the target coding language, but on the Mac I've always preferred Eclipse or Xcode myself. From what I can see, CLion looks pretty good, and may even be superior, though it does cost $89/yr where Eclipse and Xcode are free. On a PC I have only used Eclipse and Visual Studio. Though I am a bit out of date since I haven't been a hands-on software developer for a number of years, and when I did, I was more C-language or server-side scripting (shell script, Perl, Python, SQL) focused.

Complete:

WGU Ambassador

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sophia - Intro to Chemistry Lab now Available! ashkir 1 606 04-03-2023, 07:59 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Scripting and Programming - Foundations and IT Leadership Foundations Sophia or SDC? Omece 3 1,101 02-10-2023, 10:44 AM
Last Post: Omece
  Sophia Intro to Chemistry Lab course difficulty level EducationSeeker 6 1,207 01-09-2023, 11:33 PM
Last Post: EducationSeeker
  Study.com question - Biology 101L: Intro to Biology with Lab Mr T 6 1,474 12-31-2022, 05:27 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Sophia-Introduction to Python Programming Juliocrx 2 1,704 11-27-2022, 10:38 PM
Last Post: Juliocrx
  Question re: SDC Computer Science 204 - Database Programming raekwon 6 1,526 11-25-2022, 11:51 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Sophia - Intro to Python/Java Programming to TESU AllThose299s 4 1,175 11-03-2022, 01:31 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Sophia - Intro to Ethics ss20ts 25 6,133 09-15-2022, 08:12 PM
Last Post: RhondaG
  New Sophia Course: Intro to Career Readiness - 1cr LL MNomadic 0 498 09-11-2022, 02:06 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Intro to Cybersecurity - Upper level NewatTESU 5 1,101 04-22-2022, 02:44 PM
Last Post: NewatTESU