Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's the weirdest thing you've heard someone say about college?
I really want to say dumbest thing, but I'm trying to take into consideration the United States' odd accreditation system. 

Facebook is always a good place to find ignorant comments and questions. Once, under a University of Florida ad, someone asked, "But, are they accredited?" No, one of the best and biggest state universities in the country is unaccredited. That's how Florida rolls.

A University of Texas branch was advertising a homeschooling program. This guy said not to trust colleges that claim to be accredited and to search the DEAC website for legit programs. You know, because a regionally accredited, public university is not recognized by the government or anything. 

This one is not really dumb or weird, but it could have had serious consequences. A guy asked if a college's advertised master's in engineering was ABET-accredited, and the admissions staff said, "Yes, our school of engineering is accredited by ABET." I was like whoa, whoa, whoa! I had to respond and let them both know that ABET accredits individual programs and that the master's was not ABET-accredited. The staff member thanked me and edited the original response. Most graduate-level engineering programs lack ABET accreditation, but you never know if the guy needed it.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Along the accreditation lines, "Nationally and Regionally accredited". That's not how accreditation works.
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

"You can't do a whole degree without taking any normal, semester-length classes."

- My aunt, whose husband has a Master's from WGU.

Not really that weird in a vacuum until you consider that her husband had done exactly that.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
[-] The following 4 users Like mysonx3's post:
  • alab21, allvia, harrypotter, MSK9
(06-24-2019, 12:37 PM)quigongene Wrote: Along the accreditation lines, "Nationally and Regionally accredited".  That's not how accreditation works.

I've seen many colleges state this. People are already confused about the difference between the two, and regionally accredited colleges do this. What they're really referring to is their programmatic accreditation.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
"FULLY ACCREDITED"

Because partially accredited degrees are so common...
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 2 users Like MNomadic's post:
  • cookderosa, MSK9
"The federal government won't hire you if you have an online degree unless you have veterans' preference. "

"Ivy League schools will never offer online degrees."

"For-profit colleges don't have regional accreditation."

"For-profit colleges never have specialized (programmatic) accreditation."

"All online degrees are offered by online schools, and all online schools are diploma mills." 

"You'll never get a job with an online degree."
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • alab21
Mine was in high school. The guidance counselor thought that only losers went to community college. Didn't directly say it, but basically lumped the cc students into the same group as those taking shop class and cosmetology. All those poor souls without a future.

So sad that I believed this for a long time. I guess all worked out nicely at my high school reunion when I have a job that's better than probably 98% of my class. But still... how many kids didn't figure it all out? Sad
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
[-] The following 2 users Like burbuja0512's post:
  • davewill, Life Long Learning
(06-24-2019, 01:38 PM)burbuja0512 Wrote: Mine was in high school.  The guidance counselor thought that only losers went to community college.    Didn't directly say it, but basically lumped the cc students into the same group as those taking shop class and cosmetology.    All those poor souls without a future.  

So sad that I believed this for a long time.  I guess all worked out nicely at my high school reunion when I have a job that's better than probably 98% of my class.    But still... how many kids didn't figure it all out?  Sad

There's this guy on another forum who always says that community college courses don't transfer every time CCs are brought up. There are transfer credit issues, but that happens when transferring from any college. Many universities have developed 2+2 programs and articulation agreements, and some states protect students from having equivalent transfer credits rejected. However, I believe most of the issues stem from choosing the wrong courses. If you need general chemistry for science majors, and you take intro to chemistry for non-majors, then the course is not going to transfer. If you need calculus-based physics, then you need to take university physics instead of general physics.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
(06-24-2019, 01:47 PM)sanantone Wrote:
(06-24-2019, 01:38 PM)burbuja0512 Wrote: Mine was in high school.  The guidance counselor thought that only losers went to community college.    Didn't directly say it, but basically lumped the cc students into the same group as those taking shop class and cosmetology.    All those poor souls without a future.  

So sad that I believed this for a long time.  I guess all worked out nicely at my high school reunion when I have a job that's better than probably 98% of my class.    But still... how many kids didn't figure it all out?  Sad

There's this guy on another forum who always says that community college courses don't transfer every time CCs are brought up. There are transfer credit issues, but that happens when transferring from any college. Many universities have developed 2+2 programs and articulation agreements, and some states protect students from having equivalent transfer credits rejected. However, I believe most of the issues stem from choosing the wrong courses. If you need general chemistry for science majors, and you take intro to chemistry for non-majors, then the course is not going to transfer. If you need calculus-based physics, then you need to take university physics instead of general physics.

LOL Somebody had one problem one time and therefore everyone else has to deal with his problem.  Rolleyes

Mine all transferred, with maybe an exception of a nutrition class.  My daughter and her friend just did a year and a half at CC then transferred into B&M state universities with no issues.   Probably nicer if you can have a special guarantee, but yes it's all about doing your research first.
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
[-] The following 1 user Likes burbuja0512's post:
  • alab21

Yeah, that CC route is just for losers... My twins did 2 years at CC, and graduated last year, one from Cal and the other from UCSD. Thanks to the money saved from CC and from mostly going to school from home, we were able to help them do it without debt. They both loved their community college experience. They're both headed off to SDSU, daughter for teaching and son for an MSW. With them going to school from home again, we can avoid debt for that, too...especially if my son qualifies for the stipend next year. 

He has one mentor who works as a therapist, and the poor woman did four years at a university, and then the USC MSW program, all on loans apparently. She was the first college graduate in her family and they were apparently unable to help with expenses. It sounds like she may be in debt for the rest of her life. She told our son she wishes she had taken the CC route.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 3 users Like davewill's post:
  • alab21, burbuja0512, Life Long Learning

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is the difference between College and University (USA) Personherebb9 8 1,285 12-29-2022, 05:39 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  College of Golf Alpha 5 676 09-11-2022, 07:30 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Richest US College Alpha 6 897 09-09-2022, 04:31 PM
Last Post: cardiacclep
  What does college look like in 10...20 years? cardiacclep 10 1,452 08-25-2022, 04:48 AM
Last Post: MitchellHolst
  College of Winterhold Alpha 1 516 07-28-2022, 12:32 PM
Last Post: ROYISAGIRL
  College grad paralyzed after chiropractor visit bjcheung77 5 876 07-16-2022, 05:14 AM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Bullying in College , What do I do next? 2L8 15 11,741 06-03-2022, 06:27 AM
Last Post: stephaniesmith44
  Heard v. Depp Alpha 3 601 06-02-2022, 01:55 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Has anyone taken a math course at community college? picgirl27 2 697 04-03-2022, 09:54 AM
Last Post: picgirl27
  What Is College Worth in The Media Industry? Kal Di 6 1,079 02-28-2022, 06:48 AM
Last Post: rachel83az