Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's the weirdest thing you've heard someone say about college?
(06-26-2019, 12:12 PM)burbuja0512 Wrote:
(06-26-2019, 10:12 AM)sanantone Wrote: One of our moderators (rebel100), who is now inactive, said that he would throw away any resume with University of Phoenix on it because anyone who would spend all that money on such a terrible school is an idiot.
... I would have to agree with him though I didn't want to say it in my earlier post.   ...

That kind of seems like kicking someone when they're down. I've never heard anything to suggest that Univ. of Pheonix students don't get a decent education, that's all that should matter.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(06-26-2019, 02:33 PM)davewill Wrote:
(06-26-2019, 10:12 AM)sanantone Wrote: One of our moderators (rebel100), who is now inactive, said that he would throw away any resume with University of Phoenix on it because anyone who would spend all that money on such a terrible school is an idiot.
... I would have to agree with him though I didn't want to say it in my earlier post.   ...

That kind of seems like kicking someone when they're down. I've never heard anything to suggest that Univ. of Pheonix students don't get a decent education, that's all that should matter.
No, they suck, but not any more than a lot of other non-traditional schools. I attended their sister school, and they had the same course formats.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(06-26-2019, 02:33 PM)davewill Wrote:

I believe that anyone can get a good education if they are motivated enough.   But I have known people to take UoP classes and I've heard the same feedback.  Basically, you can go and kick ass and take names if you want, or you can skate through it and as long as you pay your tuition on time and make a marginal attempt to turn in assignments, you'll pass.  It may not be with a 4.0, but you'll get your piece of paper.

Of course the same thing can be said for any for-profit education.   My first job was in for-profit education - in another country but it was exactly the same.   In a nutshell, you have revenue goals to meet and if people don't make it, you have to get rid of the absolute worst or you risk losing the decent students.   But other than that, you just pass people through if they can go through the motions.   If someone pays well, you do what it takes to keep them.  

So, not to say that UoP doesn't have good lessons, just like the school I worked for in Mexico had amazing English classes.  (They really did!)  It just means that like any for-profit company, the priority will always be the numbers.
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
(06-26-2019, 03:25 PM)burbuja0512 Wrote: I believe that anyone can get a good education if they are motivated enough.   But I have known people to take UoP classes and I've heard the same feedback.  Basically, you can go and kick ass and take names if you want, or you can skate through it and as long as you pay your tuition on time and make a marginal attempt to turn in assignments, you'll pass.  It may not be with a 4.0, but you'll get your piece of paper.

Of course the same thing can be said for any for-profit education.   My first job was in for-profit education - in another country but it was exactly the same.   In a nutshell, you have revenue goals to meet and if people don't make it, you have to get rid of the absolute worst or you risk losing the decent students.   But other than that, you just pass people through if they can go through the motions.   If someone pays well, you do what it takes to keep them.  

So, not to say that UoP doesn't have good lessons, just like the school I worked for in Mexico had amazing English classes.  (They really did!)  It just means that like any for-profit company, the priority will always be the numbers.

Ummm...hate to point this out, but this is the case for ALL schools, not just for-profits.  Maybe you haven't noticed, but kids these days aren't coming out of college as geniuses with all kinds of knowledge.  Watch any of those "about town" bits on late night TV, especially the ones on college campuses, and you'll be shocked at the stupidity of college students; and it's not getting better, it's getting worse!

https://www.wsj.com/articles/college-wou...1554936810
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(06-26-2019, 06:48 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(06-26-2019, 03:25 PM)burbuja0512 Wrote: I believe that anyone can get a good education if they are motivated enough.   But I have known people to take UoP classes and I've heard the same feedback.  Basically, you can go and kick ass and take names if you want, or you can skate through it and as long as you pay your tuition on time and make a marginal attempt to turn in assignments, you'll pass.  It may not be with a 4.0, but you'll get your piece of paper.

Ummm...hate to point this out, but this is the case for ALL schools, not just for-profits.  Maybe you haven't noticed, but kids these days aren't coming out of college as geniuses with all kinds of knowledge.  Watch any of those "about town" bits on late night TV, especially the ones on college campuses, and you'll be shocked at the stupidity of college students; and it's not getting better, it's getting worse!

https://www.wsj.com/articles/college-wou...1554936810

You need a subscription to read. I have free access through UF, but I don't feel like searching for my username and password. I wonder if this is an empirical study or another one of those dumb higher education articles that journalists love to write.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
I have never been a fan of Univ. of Pheonix, but I have had one bright young Captain work for me in a combat zone who was better than 99% of B&M graduates.  He had a "hick" High school diploma, West Point BS, and Univ. of Pheonix masters degree.  I don't judge UP as fast as most.  It's still not for me.  Others will judge the Big 3 as subpar, but not me.
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

(06-26-2019, 07:21 PM)Life Long Learning Wrote: I have never been a fan of Univ. of Pheonix, but I have had one bright young Captain work for me in a combat zone who was better than 99% of B&M graduates.  He had a "hick" High school diploma, West Point BS, and Univ. of Pheonix masters degree.  I don't judge UP as fast as most.  It's still not for me.  Others will judge the Big 3 as subpar, but not me.

Uh, he went to West Point! The UoP degree is just there because taxpayers paid for it.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
(06-26-2019, 07:24 PM)sanantone Wrote:
(06-26-2019, 07:21 PM)Life Long Learning Wrote: I have never been a fan of Univ. of Pheonix, but I have had one bright young Captain work for me in a combat zone who was better than 99% of B&M graduates.  He had a "hick" High school diploma, West Point BS, and Univ. of Pheonix masters degree.  I don't judge UP as fast as most.  It's still not for me.  Others will judge the Big 3 as subpar, but not me.

Uh, he went to West Point! The UoP degree is just there because taxpayers paid for it.

I think West Point prepared him well.  Like it or not UofP was part of his background and he was better than most.  He would go on and command bigger and better units and retired.
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

(06-26-2019, 07:32 PM)Life Long Learning Wrote:

I think West Point prepared him well.  Like it or not UofP was part of his background and he was better than most.  He would go on and command bigger and better units and retired.

Well, West Point is highly-selective, so it wouldn't be surprising if he were brilliant. I doubt he was better than most because he got a check-the-box master's with TA.

Since you mentioned retirement, I'm going to assume this is an older guy who probably earned his master's degree when online programs were rare.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
(06-26-2019, 07:34 PM)sanantone Wrote:
(06-26-2019, 07:32 PM)Life Long Learning Wrote:

Well, West Point is highly-selective, so it wouldn't be surprising if he were brilliant. I doubt he was better than most because he got a check-the-box master's with TA.

Since you mentioned retirement as a captain, I'm going to assume this is an older guy who probably earned his master's degree when online programs were rare.

The same thing happens with B&M universities.  I know of one Masters in Outdoor Leadership where the only real requirement is a 25-page thesis.  Talk about a check-the-box.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is the difference between College and University (USA) Personherebb9 8 1,285 12-29-2022, 05:39 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  College of Golf Alpha 5 676 09-11-2022, 07:30 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Richest US College Alpha 6 897 09-09-2022, 04:31 PM
Last Post: cardiacclep
  What does college look like in 10...20 years? cardiacclep 10 1,452 08-25-2022, 04:48 AM
Last Post: MitchellHolst
  College of Winterhold Alpha 1 516 07-28-2022, 12:32 PM
Last Post: ROYISAGIRL
  College grad paralyzed after chiropractor visit bjcheung77 5 876 07-16-2022, 05:14 AM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Bullying in College , What do I do next? 2L8 15 11,742 06-03-2022, 06:27 AM
Last Post: stephaniesmith44
  Heard v. Depp Alpha 3 601 06-02-2022, 01:55 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Has anyone taken a math course at community college? picgirl27 2 697 04-03-2022, 09:54 AM
Last Post: picgirl27
  What Is College Worth in The Media Industry? Kal Di 6 1,079 02-28-2022, 06:48 AM
Last Post: rachel83az