Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What school/degree is for me?
I want to start working toward a Bachelor's degree this spring, and I'm a bit overwhelmed. Each time I believe I've decided, I discover terrible reviews or it's 8-10 page papers in APA for each course, each week... 

I attended one semester at Iowa State in 2000. I'm 40 this year, and I don't believe my few credits will transfer. But I did English 104 (or 105), Psychology, and then a library thing, and career preparedness thing... And I audited out my Trig. Back then, I was pretty unfocused. However, my kids are bigger, and I want to get a degree and start a career where I can support myself and my youngest daughter. 

I live in Colorado currently. I'm interested in a Computer Science or IT bachelors... I'm squeamish on heavy math, but I do find it to be figureoutable... I just don't want 10 heavy math courses, which I've seen at some local schools. I do not want live proctor if possible. 

I would like to learn computer classes with actual hands on projects instead of APA papers until my eyes bleed. Is this possible? 

I have no certificates or military experience. I'm not opposed to adding certificates. 

For work, I have done freelance web development, online marketing, and social media off and on for 15 years. 

I am interested in receiving two degrees if it's not much more financially. I would be interested in earning a Masters too. I'd love to bulk my resume, as I will be returning to the workforce without a ton of experience. Which is why I want my degree to give me some knowledge and practice. 

I am tenacious and self-taught in almost everything I do. So I have the focus and drive. I want to earn my degree(s) quickly, so I can get started with the workplace experience. What is a probable timeline? 

Budget: I'd like to do it affordably. So Sophia/Study, and then I intend to file for FAFSA. I want it to be decently straightforward, I'm not interested in getting 60-90 credits from 10 different sources.  So affordable but keep it simple. 

I don't know if I should start Sophia/Study after I pick a school... or apply to the school and then do Sophia/Study? I'm kinda confused on the order too. 

Schools I've narrowed it down to are TESU and SNHU, through the help of this forum, but I'd really like some perspective, and I'm not opposed to looking at other schools. It's why I'm posting, there is a wealth of information here, and I would consider other schools that fit me better. 

Thank you for your time! I've been stressing over this for a few months now, and I really need to get started. 
For SNHU, I believe that there is a project or short paper due every single week (though I could be wrong about that). Based on what you said, I think that TESU would be better for you. You can do just about everything through Sophia or Study.com, then finish off with a 16-credit flat-rate term at TESU (for Comp Sci, it's easier than it sounds). The capstone and cornerstone will require papers, but then you'll be done!

What credit(s) do you already have? If you don't have any, you may need to add credit from another source to keep things affordable.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
BTW, there's absolutely no reason to think your Iowa State credits would not transfer. All of my previous college credits were from the 1980s.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(03-02-2023, 11:45 AM)davewill Wrote: BTW, there's absolutely no reason to think your Iowa State credits would not transfer. All of my previous college credits were from the 1980s.

That's good to know. When I was looking at a couple other colleges, they had a 10 year expiration on credits they'd accept. 

My credits were:

Eng 104
Lib 160
Math 142 (audited this though) 
Psych 230
Zoo 155

(03-02-2023, 04:27 AM)rachel83az Wrote: For SNHU, I believe that there is a project or short paper due every single week (though I could be wrong about that). Based on what you said, I think that TESU would be better for you. You can do just about everything through Sophia or Study.com, then finish off with a 16-credit flat-rate term at TESU (for Comp Sci, it's easier than it sounds). The capstone and cornerstone will require papers, but then you'll be done!

What credit(s) do you already have? If you don't have any, you may need to add credit from another source to keep things affordable.

A few colleges wouldn't accept credits older than 10 years, so I thought it was the norm. Thank you for feedback! If SNHU is projects related to the class/degree, I don't mind too much. It's just big papers, especially APA that are too big of a drag especially when other options are available. 

Credits: 
Eng 104
Lib 160
Math 142 (audited this though) 
Psych 230
Zoo 155
As long as they're not in the AOS, TESU will accept "any" RA credits, no matter how old they are. If your credits were in Comp Sci, they'd only accept some of them toward the AOS. I am not sure about SNHU, but I don't think they care about the age of the credits either. Though, I could be mistaken.

You can see TESU degree plans here: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...ts_Roadmap

SNHU plans are here: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Category:SNHU I think SNHU plans utilize more SDC credits, which means more papers/projects. And the exams at SDC aren't open-book as Sophia's are.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • poisonedapple
(03-02-2023, 12:01 PM)rachel83az Wrote: As long as they're not in the AOS, TESU will accept "any" RA credits, no matter how old they are. If your credits were in Comp Sci, they'd only accept some of them toward the AOS. I am not sure about SNHU, but I don't think they care about the age of the credits either. Though, I could be mistaken.

You can see TESU degree plans here: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...ts_Roadmap

SNHU plans are here: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Category:SNHU I think SNHU plans utilize more SDC credits, which means more papers/projects. And the exams at SDC aren't open-book as Sophia's are.

Good to know, they definitely aren't in the AOS. They were just Gen Eds. 

Should I start at Sophia.org now using the templates on here? Or apply at TESU and do them simultaneously?
You can start earning alt credit, like Sophia, right away. No need to wait.

It's generally a good idea to enroll at TESU sooner than later as it's cheap and gives you benefits. It's also a good idea to send in transcripts promptly as TESU has been known to change their transfer policies, but once courses are on your transcript, they are pretty much locked in. You can apply online ($50) which locks in your catalog and gives you two transcript evals. Send in your old transcript right away, so you can see where your old credits land in the degree. To become enrolled, which gives you unlimited evals, you can register for the 1cr Medical Terminology TECEP ($52). No need to actually take the exam, in fact, by not doing so, you can use it again later to extend your enrollment (which lasts a year) if you need to.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 2 users Like davewill's post:
  • poisonedapple, rachel83az
(03-02-2023, 12:59 PM)davewill Wrote: You can start earning alt credit, like Sophia, right away. No need to wait.

It's generally a good idea to enroll at TESU sooner than later as it's cheap and gives you benefits. It's also a good idea to send in transcripts promptly as TESU has been known to change their transfer policies, but once courses are on your transcript, they are pretty much locked in. You can apply online ($50) which locks in your catalog and gives you two transcript evals. Send in your old transcript right away, so you can see where your old credits land in the degree. To become enrolled, which gives you unlimited evals, you can register for the 1cr Medical Terminology TECEP ($52). No need to actually take the exam, in fact, by not doing so, you can use it again later to extend your enrollment (which lasts a year) if you need to.

Very helpful! Thank you! I was confused on the smart order of events, and you really clarified it for me. I appreciate it.
TESU seems like the best fit for you.

I would suggest 2 options.

Options 1:
Associate in Computer Science
Bachor's in Business Administration with a concentration in CIS

Option 2:
Bachor's Computer Science
Bachor's in Business Administration with a concentration in CIS\

Remember, things aren't set in stone when you start, so you can pivot if you need to. Start with Sophia first and do all you can there. 

Doing 2 degrees using a flat-rate term won't cost you more than around $1500 extra (if you opt to do the capstones separately)

https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...z_version)

https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...egree_Plan
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 2 users Like LevelUP's post:
  • origamishuttle, poisonedapple
(03-03-2023, 12:23 AM)LevelUP Wrote: TESU seems like the best fit for you.

I would suggest 2 options.

Options 1:
Associate in Computer Science
Bachor's in Business Administration with a concentration in CIS

Option 2:
Bachor's Computer Science
Bachor's in Business Administration with a concentration in CIS\

Remember, things aren't set in stone when you start, so you can pivot if you need to. Start with Sophia first and do all you can there. 

Doing 2 degrees using a flat-rate term won't cost you more than around $1500 extra (if you opt to do the capstones separately)

https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...z_version)

https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...egree_Plan

Wow, thank you for this! This forum is such a great place to get wisdom; I really appreciate it! I've been overanalyzing everything and have been frozen with indecision. 

Good to know on pivoting on degree. I'm leaning toward the second option, and I appreciate having options and the links to those sample degree plans too.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information Newbie Needs Advice !! Quick and Easy Degree for International Student smartfion 4 87 8 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Degree Plan Advice dm.hans32 9 596 Yesterday, 07:06 AM
Last Post: dm.hans32
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 34 2,199 Yesterday, 05:21 AM
Last Post: ASenna
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 58 1,905 Yesterday, 12:31 AM
  TESU or somewhere else for IT/CS related degree? tdat314 6 210 04-17-2024, 01:34 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Degree/Planning Advice: Retired LEO Seeking BA and MA after life-altering injury Han_Shot_First_IYKYK 24 1,170 04-16-2024, 11:37 PM
Last Post: Han_Shot_First_IYKYK
  Is Ryan Swayt's Degree hacking course worth 1k? Fuse 43 4,306 04-15-2024, 09:45 AM
  Going back to school at 29 for CS with only freshman year of college completed RejuvenationOclock 8 648 04-10-2024, 11:40 PM
  Advice on degree options juliakeller2011 3 171 04-09-2024, 11:25 PM
  have ENEB masters, no bachelors or other degree? Times 11 931 04-08-2024, 04:44 PM