Poll: What score do you study for?
This poll is closed.
I study just for a pass, no matter what the score...
33.33%
12 33.33%
I study for a high score...
38.89%
14 38.89%
I'm in-between...
27.78%
10 27.78%
Total 36 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"What score do you study for?"
Sorry we got off the original topic of, "What score do you study for?" (Oops...my bad!!!) :leaving:

So that everyone else won't have to scroll through my opinions, I'll try to keep it back on track... Hehe! Smile
When I was still testing, I would study for a good score but not a perfect one. The "testing nerves" never really went away, no matter how prepared I felt. And when I was testing, I was convinced for almost every test I took that a 50 or 51 would pop up on the screen when I was done... :leaving: However, that never happened - I only got two scores in the 50's (58 & 59). I got three scores in the 70's and the rest in the 60's. Even though I'm a perfectionist, at some point I just had to realize that it simply isn't worth the time to spend an extra week or two just to get a higher score. My goal was speed, but I also wanted some decent scores, too. It's a tough balance. Wink Once you find out approximately how long you have to study to get a score you are comfortable with, it's nice to have a pattern you can stick to as you are preparing. Smile
CLEPs:
Biology: 64 | College Algebra: 60 | A&IL: 74 | Natural Sciences: 62 | College Comp: 62 | Intro Psychology: 73 | Intro Sociology: 67 | History of the U.S. I: 73 | History of the U.S. II: 65 | Principles of Marketing: 66 | Social Sciences & History: 68 | Humanities: 58

DSSTs:
Environment & Humanity: 59 | Technical Writing: 66 | Public Speaking: 67/Pass | Astronomy: 72

Other Courses:
Intro to Stats ALEKS: 70 | 24 FEMAs (including PDS) | Intro to News Reporting TECEP: Pass | Interpersonal Communication ECE: A | News Writing @ TESC: A | TESC Leadership Communication: A | TESC Mass Communication I: A | TESC Capstone: A | Marketing Communications TECEP: Pass | Argumentation & Debate @ LSU: A | Public Relations Thought & Practice TECEP: Pass

120/120 - DONE!!!
B.A. Communications through CollegePlus/TESC
My degree plan/test feedback
TayTay Wrote:Hi LaceyLady!!! Smile I agree...there are situations, when the "ideal" is not possible. We live in a fallen world and life is not perfect. I think if we strive to honor the Lord's Word, in being "keepers at home," then He will honor our efforts. True, perfect circumstances do not always happen. I believe it is Biblical for ladies to be under the "headship" of their husbands, so as long as they are not under another man's leadership, I agree! (Very counter-cultural and different from today's "norm.") I also believe the Church has neglected their responsibilites in providing for the needs of widows. Just my two-cents worth! Big Grin

(Bold is mine)

I think that is what starlinghunter was saying..."under normal circumstances."

Anyway...this is a really "off-topic," but great discussion! Smile

Hi Taylor,

I agree. I was not disagreeing with you and starlinghunter, I was just pointing out the usefulness of getting a degree

Sorry for going off topic! Smile

LaceyLady
[SIZE="1"]BSBA in Accounting at TESC - Done! :hurray:
Started June 2009 with zero credits, now have 133!

CLEP:
English Literature - 67, Chemistry - 60, Microeconomics - 69, Macroeconomics - 77, U.S. History I - 68, U.S. History II - 64, American Government - 64, Humanities - 68, College Algebra - 64, English Composition - 56, Financial Accounting - 80 Smile, Principles of Management - 74, Intro. Business Law - 73, Principles of Marketing - 79, Info. Systems & Computer Applications - 77

DSST:
Introduction to Business - 446, Human/Cultural Geography - 69, Personal Finance - 463, Principles of Supervision - 443, Organizational Behavior - 76, Human Resource Management - 77, Business Ethics and Society - 468, Principles of Finance - 471, Management Information Systems - 447, Money and Banking - 73

TECEP:
Financial Institutions and Markets, Federal Income Taxation, Strategic Management

Straighterline Course:
Business Communication
[/SIZE]
I typically wait until the last second to study, which translates from a few days to two to three weeks depending on the test. Due to waiting till the last moment I tend to put in some long study hours. As a result, I eventually get burned out studying and decide to take the test. That and I usually have no time left to study due to my procrastination. I've been fortunate and have passed all my tests do far. However, I am actively trying to get out of this habit and budget more time for studying, that way I don't get as stressed when it comes to studying.

In short, I study with the amount of time I have to study and hope for the best. Smile
Cleps Passed:

Information Systems & Computer Applications - 64
Spanish - 58
Analyzing & Interpreting Lit - 71
Principles of Macroeconomics - 53
Principles of Microeconomics - 61
Introductory Sociology - 54
Calculus - 51
Biology - 67
I usually shoot for a high score just because I believe "better safe than sorry" (plus there are 80$ at stake), so chances are I will study until I feel that I am more than ready to take the test. When I take the practice tests I usually aim for a 65-70 range and if I hit that mark I'm happy. Of the tests that I have taken; I have scored an average of 65. My best score was on CLEP West Civ 1...a 67pt and my worse was A&IL CLEP with a 63pt (I was really uncomfortable with that test period).
Study for a high grade. I made 68s on most of my tests and was happy with that. Someone who passes with a 51 is probably not able to explain the concepts behind the material. I knew I would be moving on to graduate school so I wanted to own the undergrad courses/tests. I learned a LOT in my undergrad CLEP/DSST studies.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
I study enough to pass and pray for a high score. Big Grin Most of my test scores are the equivalent of an "A" according to some charts I've seen by colleges that give grades for CLEP/DSST.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
ryoder Wrote:Study for a high grade. I made 68s on most of my tests and was happy with that. Someone who passes with a 51 is probably not able to explain the concepts behind the material. I knew I would be moving on to graduate school so I wanted to own the undergrad courses/tests. I learned a LOT in my undergrad CLEP/DSST studies.

I'm not sure if this was directed at my calc score specifically or not. However, I think I learned more studying for the Calc clep than if I took the business calculus class especially when the teacher is giving insane grading curves because most of the class would fail a score.

Are you able to explain the concepts now? Will you be able to explain them in 5 or 10 years without constantly using those concepts? Probably not. All a degree proves is at some point you knew the required amount of knowledge at a specific point in time. A pass is a pass
Cleps Passed:

Information Systems & Computer Applications - 64
Spanish - 58
Analyzing & Interpreting Lit - 71
Principles of Macroeconomics - 53
Principles of Microeconomics - 61
Introductory Sociology - 54
Calculus - 51
Biology - 67
Interesting point. I made an A in Algebra I and II in high school. Less than 10 years later, I remembered almost nothing and had to start from scratch. About 18 months later, I've already forgotten half of the stuff I learned when studying for Intermediate Algebra.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
If a degree is just a checkmark on applications or something to fill a picture frame, a pass is a pass. If planning to move on to grad school, or actually needing the additional knowledge to supplement career learning, putting in a bit more study time is a good idea. One is much more likely to be able to demonstrate at least a basic understanding of the knowledge 5 or 10 years from now if one drills home the concepts and details now. If GPAs were made available to new patients, would you choose a physician that graduated at the top of his or her class, or one that barely squeaked by the minimum graduation requirements? While medicine is an extreme example, it demonstrates the point, I think.
BSBA, HR / Organizational Mgmt - Thomas Edison State College, December 2012
- TESC Chapter of Sigma Beta Delta International Honor Society for Business, Management and Administration
- Arnold Fletcher Award

AAS, Environmental, Safety, & Security Technologies - Thomas Edison State College, December 2012
AS, Business Administration - Thomas Edison State College, March 2012

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Humans may be fueling global warming by breathing: new study LevelUP 9 582 02-21-2024, 04:01 PM
Last Post: MichaelGates
  Study.Com student or teacher login? acamp 6 756 03-29-2023, 06:27 AM
Last Post: acamp
  Question how to study for exam Imbanewbie 3 1,602 02-28-2020, 08:20 AM
Last Post: Imbanewbie
  US vs foreign tech workers (moved from Study.com New CS Courses) armstrongsubero 17 2,402 12-14-2018, 07:09 PM
Last Post: nyvrem
  Study abroad burbuja0512 9 2,099 11-01-2018, 07:18 AM
Last Post: homeschoolmom1
  Hunger And Homelessness Are Widespread Among College Students, Study Finds allvia 2 1,862 04-05-2018, 07:18 PM
Last Post: videogamesrock
  Study of Georgia Tech OMSCS shows solid success davewill 2 1,539 03-20-2018, 10:50 AM
Last Post: davewill
  Anybody got recommendations for study tools for the LSAT? Nerdymcnerdface 5 2,251 08-07-2017, 11:33 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  How to study smarter... chew gum! Mamasaphire 4 1,649 12-15-2016, 08:57 AM
Last Post: OakLakeNC
  Why is study.com screwing over it's long-standing customers? soliloquy 5 1,390 08-25-2016, 06:28 PM
Last Post: Study.com