Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What to do with my post-bacc sciences and a word about them (med school)..
Hi, everyone. 

So before I get to my question, I want to put another question to bed; one I've seen incorrect answers to here on the forum..

*ahem*

MANY MEDICAL SCHOOLS ACCEPT REGIONALLY ACCREDITED ONLINE PRE-PREREQUISITES. THIS IS A FACT. I HAVE CONFIRMED THIS FACT DIRECTLY WITH ADMISSIONS COMMITTEES AND ADMISSIONS DIRECTORS. IF YOU CANNOT ACCEPT THIS FACT, I ENCOURAGE YOU TO CALL AND VERIFY.

/soapbox

As many of you here know, I started my journey toward becoming a US medical student in November 2017. I worked my ass my off, finished my TESU BALS in September 2018. Around that time, I began my post-bacc hard science pre-prereqs through the University of New England, who have their own Osteopathic Medical School. 

I didn't care for their format, and after passing Medical Biology II with Lab and Medical General Chemistry I with Lab, I enrolled at Doane University. At Doane University, I've completed General Chemistry II with Lab and am in my final three weeks of Organic Chemistry I with Lab. I'll finish my post-bacc with these guys.

By March 2020, I will have completed the following courses and have been told I should try and apply these toward a science degree if possible (though not for competitive application reasons):

Biology I with Lab (4cr)
Biology II with Lab (4cr)
General Chemistry I with Lab (4cr)
General Chemistry II with Lab (4cr)
Organic Chemistry I with Lab (4cr)
Organic Chemistry II with Lab (4cr)
Biochemistry with Lab (4cr)
Physics I with Lab (4cr)
Physics II with Lab (4cr)
Statistics (3cr)

What can I do with these? I've heard about some recent changes at TESU but don't know anything about them. 

I appreciate y'all! Thank you!
Doctor of Medicine candidate (MD) - anticipated complete '24
Get a general associate's degree.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(06-23-2019, 08:56 PM)sanantone Wrote: Get a general associate's degree.

I have two. Please don't think I'm looking for an "atta boy" or a pat on the back.. definitely not seeking validation. I'm just trying to see if a picking up a BS is feasible based on suggestions made to me by a few people in academia.
Doctor of Medicine candidate (MD) - anticipated complete '24
(06-23-2019, 09:51 PM)MSK9 Wrote:
(06-23-2019, 08:56 PM)sanantone Wrote: Get a general associate's degree.

I have two. Please don't think I'm looking for an "atta boy" or a pat on the back.. definitely not seeking validation. I'm just trying to see if a picking up a BS is feasible based on suggestions made to me by a few people in academia.
You're going to need many more UL science credits. Unless you're getting a general natural science degree, you're going to need many more credits in one subject.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • MSK9
If you're willing to do Cell Bio, capstone, etc then get a bachelor's at TESU. You've got most of it. A lot of the rest can be tested out of / done fast. They probably won't make you do SOS-110. https://www.tesu.edu/heavin/ba/biology

[-] The following 1 user Likes Ideas's post:
  • MSK9
For TESU, You need 24 credits in Biology, 15 of them UL... I would recommend that degree depending on what other courses you have remaining for your studies at Doane and UNE. If your other courses are Biology related, good, if UL even better. You are missing a handful of courses. Cell, genetics, Microbiology 15 UL the SOS110. Roughly the 24 credits you need for another BA at TESU. Link: https://www.tesu.edu/heavin/ba/biology

There are other degrees you can think of getting, Logan U’s Human Biology, APUS or Excelsior BS Natural Science with concentration in Biology, or you can go for something different and branch off...like an Environmental Science degree. Another option is maybe ladder up to a Masters... UOF. https://microbiologyonline.ifas.ufl.edu/ Or https://forensicmedicine.med.ufl.edu/
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • MSK9
I'm not sure why you would want a science degree. You can get into med school without it, as long as you have the pre-reqs, so it doesn't make a ton of sense to spend the money getting the UL science requirements done when you have someplace better to be (med school).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
your "fact" is nonsense

first of all, you say "many medical schools accept" -- but you never define "many"
25% ? 51% ? 10% ?

then you say they accept regionally accredited online credits -- but you neglect to say if they accept all or only some
so yes, they might accept online english or statistics, but do they accept online organic chemistry ?
and do they accept them automatically or do they have to be reviewed

here, first school I checked
https://www.ps.columbia.edu/education/ac...quirements
Kindly note that we do not accept online courses for our prerequisite classes.

2nd school I checked
https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/som/admi...ments.html
Extension or evening courses taken in fulfillment of premedical course requirements are not acceptable unless they are identical to courses offered in the college’s regular academic program
Online courses are not acceptable for prerequisite coursework

as for what you can do with your current courses, there is no need to get a 2nd degree
you already finished your TESU BALS in September 2018
you do not need a science degree to apply to med school
ANY degree will do -- you already have one
It would be nice if you posted which schools you've talked to that will accept those RA online pre-req courses, since lots of people come on here to ask that question. Giving some info would be a nice thing to do for others.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Jrellis
Yes, any degree will do, and biology majors have a lower chance of being accepted. I don't know if there's some insecurity with only having a BALS; there probably should be since most people won't be accepted to medical school. This is why I often advise against getting a BALS. People should get the degree they want/need the first time.

Recently, it seems like many here have gotten the BALS to check the box. Once they find out the degree doesn't check many boxes, they want to go back and get a second degree.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Graham School - University of Chicago Charles Fout 12 1,616 03-22-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  101yr Old Woman Returned To School And Will Graduate College With Her Granddaughter LevelUP 0 199 01-25-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 618 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Why degree mills center so hard in post-graduate degrees? elcastor21 7 915 12-08-2023, 06:56 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Canada's Newest Medical School - Opening 2026 at SFU bjcheung77 1 320 11-01-2023, 05:41 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Brown Medical School withdraws from U.S. News rankings allvia 2 437 10-30-2023, 09:51 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  How Technology Shapes Ideas - University of Chicago Graham School Charles Fout 0 256 09-15-2023, 09:38 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  ACSOM - Caribbean Medical School (New!) bjcheung77 9 1,038 09-05-2023, 12:19 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  UK equivalent of high school diploma axa 8 4,027 09-01-2023, 08:13 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  High School online from the UK | 9 months, A Levels equivalent in the US elcastor21 7 588 08-26-2023, 01:01 PM
Last Post: elcastor21