Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When exactly should I enroll in one of the big 3?
It's good to apply to all three if you have a lot of transfer credits. TESU is most talked about here because their degree requirements are clearly stated on their website, and it's easier to find out which alternative sources of credit can fulfill those requirements. TESU also requires less upper level credits and accepts more alternative sources of credit as upper level.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
dfrecore Wrote:At this point, the degrees cost about the same from any of the Big 3 (assuming the Study.com affiliate membership at TESU, and the POAG affiliate membership at EC).
People frequently mention POAG for Excelsior, but it's very likely that any student has taken at least 2 courses at Study.com, especially with the scholarship opportunity. There is no need to spend extra money on POAG. Being a Study.com student is enough.
http://www.excelsior.edu/web/partners/study.com
BrandeX Wrote:People frequently mention POAG for Excelsior, but it's very likely that any student has taken at least 2 courses at Study.com, especially with the scholarship opportunity. There is no need to spend extra money on POAG. Being a Study.com student is enough.
http://www.excelsior.edu/web/partners/study.com

I'd heard that the POAG discount was greater than the Study.com discount. Can you tell us what the discounts are for these?
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
dfrecore Wrote:I'd heard that the POAG discount was greater than the Study.com discount.

I read that too.

Oh man thank you guys so much you have all been very helpful. I know dealing with a newbie can be annoying so needless to say I appreciate y'all. What are the benefits of being enrolled in all 3 schools as someone suggested? does it have anything to do with pooling in various credits according to specific criteria depending on the college, but once you get the credit in one, it can be transferred to your "main" degree program?
Don't be enrolled in all three. Just have credits evaluated by all three (or two). That is where they look at everything you have so far, and tell you how many they will accept toward the degree you want.

Often, TESU is better than Excelsior.

Yung Bukket Wrote:Oh man thank you guys so much you have all been very helpful. I know dealing with a newbie can be annoying so needless to say I appreciate y'all. What are the benefits of being enrolled in all 3 schools as someone suggested? does it have anything to do with pooling in various credits according to specific criteria depending on the college, but once you get the credit in one, it can be transferred to your "main" degree program?
For starters you don't want to be enrolled in multiple schools. We're saying some people APPLY to multiple schools to see which makes better use of existing credit. In your case, not having a ton of credits, it's less likely to be crucial, although if you'll post the credits you have here, we can make a better judgement.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Did you have all three eval your transcripts like I did?

What was the outcome?

Ideas Wrote:Don't be enrolled in all three. Just have credits evaluated by all three (or two). That is where they look at everything you have so far, and tell you how many they will accept toward the degree you want.

Often, TESU is better than Excelsior.
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

dfrecore Wrote:At this point, the degrees cost about the same from any of the Big 3 (assuming the Study.com affiliate membership at TESU, and the POAG affiliate membership at EC).

So the major differences between TESU and EC/COSC are that TESU only requires 12-18cr of UL coursework (depending on the degree) while EC & COSC require 30cr of UL coursework. Also, TESU requires that all 12/18cr of UL are in the AOS (area of study), while EC & COSC require that some be in the AOS, and some throughout the rest of the degree.

UL courses are a bit harder to come by than LL, so that's where it starts to get more difficult to complete the different degrees.

Also, for some degrees (like business), EC requires precalc while TESU and COCS don't.

Also, TESU does not charge you to be enrolled. You pay the $75 app fee, and then "enroll" at some point for a course or TECEP exam, at which point you are enrolled for a year, and it will cost you nothing (except, obviously, the course/exam, but you get credit for that). EC and COSC both require you to pay fees for each term than you're an enrolled student, which can add up if you take too long.

So for TESU, you would enroll sooner, and then work your degree plan. For COSC and EC, you work your plan and then enroll later when you're ready to take your capstone course.

I had looked on their site (TESU) and thought they charged a very expensive $2500 residency waiver fee? That is why i had not enrolled yet.

marabearcat Wrote:I had looked on their site (TESU) and thought they charged a very expensive $2500 residency waiver fee? That is why i had not enrolled yet.

You can pay that fee at the end. Also you can get $700 off through the Study.com affiliation. However, there is the capstone course fee, graduation fee, and you may have to take a TECEP.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU Says Son Can't Enroll & Pay Residency Waiver?! AquaDragonfly 4 1,601 06-30-2018, 01:25 PM
Last Post: AquaDragonfly
  When should I enroll in TESU? camjenks 5 1,286 03-12-2018, 08:30 AM
Last Post: davewill
  Enroll/Register at TESU: what is cheapest path to get started? sheagang6 6 2,185 02-02-2018, 12:42 PM
Last Post: rlw74
  TESU, when should I enroll? jingyu96 16 4,969 09-22-2017, 09:26 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU - Cheapest way to "re-enroll" before July 1 bjcheung77 25 3,810 07-04-2017, 12:23 PM
Last Post: BearEDU
  Enroll now or later? CGaboury 14 1,302 09-11-2016, 11:03 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Best approach to use Pell Grant for CIS Degree-Enroll New Mexico Junior College? Cindy907 24 2,042 07-13-2016, 01:11 PM
Last Post: davewill
  [TESU] Enroll time vs evaluation traveler 17 2,028 06-27-2016, 05:38 PM
Last Post: traveler
  Confused about TESU new reqs. Should I signup late reg/enroll now? exzellent 4 937 04-18-2016, 02:07 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Re-Enroll TESC (FEMA Credits) RANSOMSOUL 10 1,567 01-26-2016, 12:48 AM
Last Post: RANSOMSOUL