Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When opportunities keep being thrown your way, how do you choose when to say no?
Oh my!

So you all encouraged me to go ahead and co-author an article with my law professor in the hopes that it will be published in a peer-reviewed journal. He's been published before many times and he's confident this will be as well. As a result, my grad school is requiring me to take a Social and Behavioral Research course at the University of Miami to prepare for the research component of this article.

Then, I was given an opportunity to do a webinar series in my field (law/legal project management) by a well-known business woman and continuing legal education guru who has been the VP of a fortune 500 company and started and sold numerous legal education companies over the years. She is also an original founding members of one of the largest professional organizations in my field. My legal mentor (from a legal leadership 1 year course I took) told me that if I can work with this lady, it will be a great opportunity because she is one of the biggest experts in her field. She is willing to hold my hand and show me the ropes, give me a full page write-up in addition to an e-blast to about 50K other legal practitioners to market my webinar. That webinar will tape this summer and I'm supposed to be working on my presentation and submitting draft outlines, etc. as I improve and expand my content.

Then, I was given the opportunity to apply to be on the review panel for an association who does legal certifications. They are looking for volunteers to review their certification exams and help re-vamp them. The good thing about this is you get free continuing legal education units and a certification in the field you review. You have to meet certain academic and experience criteria.

All of this would take place between June and August in addition to the fact that I'm taking 9 credit hours this summer, I still have my guardian ad litem duties, and full time work, and full time husband and son.

How on earth do you prioritize. I know some superhuman person will say ALL of this is possible to do so I should do it all. Is that realistic?

In other news, NONE of this would be possible without this board!

Thanks!

*yes, I know what my signature says* lol
Don't miss out on something great just because it might also be difficult.

Road traveled: AA (2013) > BS (2014) > MS (2016) > Doctorate (2024)

If God hadn't been there for me, I never would have made it. Psalm 94:16-19
Awesome....great to have so many incredible options!
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
so you think I shouldn't drop any of these things? my concern is that if I take on too much I won't do any of them well

I would attempt to do it all, if that's truley impossible I would keep the ones which are highest profile and most likely to positively impact your career.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
*If* you can handle everything, and handle them well, then I would go for it. If you're uncertain, and think you'll get overwhelmed, or if you don't think you'll be able to do a good job, then I would cut back. It's better to say a polite "thanks but no thanks," than it is to make a poor impression because you got overwhelmed and weren't able to do what you committed yourself to.

That said, if I was going to prioritize - personally, I would *always* go for the high profile networking opportunities. Who you know - particularly, who knows and likes you and is impressed with your work - is what gets your foot in the door and gets you jobs in the future. Something like free CEUs would be less attractive to me right now, since you're still working on your primary educational goals. And honestly, in my opinion, while education is great, you can always get more. Quality networking opportunities are harder to come by, and you never know when they're going to come up.

Just my opinion, and probably worth about what you paid for it Wink
DSST | Astronomy - 68 | Anthropology - 73 | HTYH - 450 | Intro to Comp. - 454 | Religions - 459 | Lifespan Dev. - 419 | Counseling - 409 | Substance Abuse - 456 | Geography - 463 | Environment & Humanity - 463 | CLEP | A & I Lit - 75 | Humanities - 57 | Psych - 64 | Western Civ I - 57 | College Comp. - 65 | College Math - 61 | Ed. Psych - 65 | US History I - 68 | Soc Sci & History - 69 | Western Civ II - 53 | US History II - 61 | UExcel | College Writing - A | Social Psych - B | Abnormal Psych - B | Cultural Div. - B | Juvenile Delinquency - B | World Pop. - A | Psych of Adulthood & Aging - A | Straighterline | Intro to Philosophy - 75% | American Gov. - 89% | Macroecon | Microecon | Bus. Communication | Bus. Ethics | Cultural Anth. - 96% |

AAS in Intelligence Operations Studies - Graduated 2015!
BA in Social Sciences & Humanities from TESU - in progress

186 credits and counting...
Tough problem to have.Wink
SuzanneD Wrote:Tough problem to have.Wink

It IS tough. I don't want to miss out on anything but I also don't want end up with mediocre performance on anything. I'm going to try and do all things well. We'll see how that goes. :/

I forgot one. I was also nominated to be on the council for our state association and I'll find that out in May. Wowzers.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Employment Opportunities in Online Schools BSBRose21 4 504 09-26-2023, 06:19 AM
Last Post: sarahmac
  TEFL opportunities without a degree Personherebb9 3 489 06-11-2023, 03:09 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New Phone - LG 7 One or LG G6 - Which would you choose? bjcheung77 13 2,108 11-23-2018, 07:09 PM
Last Post: Merlin
  Telecommuting/ Remote Work Opportunities/ Familiar places yb1 10 2,105 12-11-2016, 04:44 PM
Last Post: Toastmaster
  Opportunities... rebel100 16 1,814 03-19-2014, 03:44 PM
Last Post: rebel100