Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where I stand.. want a CS degree
At this point what’s the difference with a software engineering bachelors vs a CS BS/BA. Any benefits or drawbacks from either?

ASU offers a Software engineer BS.. looks decent but I feel it may come 2nd behind a CS degree.. any thoughts?
Most of us here are advocates of what you’re not interested in. So with that said you may have to google a little and make some phone calls. Here’s a couple to get you started

https://www.nu.edu/wp-content/uploads/20...cience.pdf

https://csumb.edu/csonline/

Also btw. Asu doesn’t have an online bscs. It’s a bs in software engineering.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Pats20's post:
  • ss20ts
Yea a software engineering BS
(09-29-2021, 04:23 PM)supreme1995_a Wrote: At this point what’s the difference with a software engineering bachelors vs a CS BS/BA. Any benefits or drawbacks from either?

ASU offers a Software engineer BS.. looks decent but I feel it may come 2nd behind a CS degree.. any thoughts?
I really don’t think that a bs in software engineering is going to hinder your employment opportunities. Many many thousands of jobs in software engineering.  You are preparing to be a software engineer. Not all computer science majors will become or want to become software engineers. Software engineering is just that software engineering. Computer science is a broad field  with software engineering being a part of it. That’s your difference.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Pats20's post:
  • ss20ts
I’m not totally against TESU or WGU but you can’t blame the general public from thinking “diploma mill” or “bs degree” when that’s the first google suggestion half the time.

I’d like something a step above, not to say you can’t get a great education with either but something a bit more recognized perhaps ASU or OSU.
TESU is a state university. I've never heard anyone say either one is a diploma mill. If they did, they'd be 100% wrong and uneducated.
OP clearly isn’t interested in buying what we are selling. And that’s perfectly fine. There are thousands of other college and universities in the United States outside of the dozen or so that receive the most attention here.

OP, what, exactly, do you want help with?  Are you simply trying to find schools with online CS programs?  Are you trying to find the best programs? The cheapest program? The best ROI? The biggest name school you likely can get into?  

What are your priorities?  Speed?  Cost?  Brand name/recognition?  Something else?

So far, you have told us that you want a CS degree, that you like the CSU/UC schools but don’t want to actually try to go to one of them, and you like ASU. That’s fair. You are tying to make up your mind and explore options. If you want guidance/help/advice, we need more to go on to actually be able to provide that.

FWIW, you said you have done 2 police academies. If you work in law enforcement of a closely related field (CO, parole officer), etc, are you part of a union?  If you are, there may be some good options for free or very cheap college. I actually joined the union at my old job specifically for a free college benefit. Does your work provide tuition reimbursement?  If so, are there restrictions as to how it can be used (have a relative who is a state employee, gets up to $5,500/yr in reimbursement but it has to be from a state college/university in her state)?

Perhaps most importantly, what are your goals for your degree/future?  Are you a cop looking to just have a piece of paper that says BS in CS?  Do you want to move into computer forensics or something similar?  Who do you want to work for?  You just doing this for fun?

I am really not trying to be intrusive, but all of those things really matter. It seems like your priorities are different than most of the people who are active here. Again, that’s fine, but it would really help to know those priorities.
Master of Accountancy (taxation concentration), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress. 
Master of Business Administration (financial planning specialization), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress.

BA, UMPI.  Accounting major; Business Administration major/Management & Leadership concentration.  Awarded Dec. 2021.

In-person/B&M: BA (history, archaeology)
In-person/B&M: MA (American history)

Sophia: 15 courses (42hrs)
[-] The following 1 user Likes freeloader's post:
  • jch
I’m really weighing all options right now.
I can’t go to a UC/cal state school because I lack junior standing (upper level transfer eligibility) since I don’t have math or science courses. This led to me exploring CS / SE programs entirely online since I work as a police officer full time.

I do have a tuition reimbursement which is great but it’s $100 per credit I think.

I’m just trying to figure out if I’m better off getting a degree in CS/SE at a school like ASU, OSU, auburn or penn state world campus or if I’m better off doing a bootcamp and trying to get work/job experience.

My second dilemma is whether I should do my pre req courses like math , science etc at a local college prior to getting into a CS/SE program at those schools listed above. If i have to do 2-3 math courses that’ll be at least a year in community college vs getting into a program and starting CS/SE courses right off the bat. I don’t know what’s best and don’t have much insight on this. That’s why I posted

TESU/WGU I’m sure are good schools but it’s not what I’m looking for. If I go back to school 3-4 years, I want a degree from a more recognized school. It’s my preference. My third dilemma which is related to #1 is whether it’s worth it to even get a degree in this field. Bootcamps and experience seem to triumph degrees I’ve seen?

Thanks
You're looking too far ahead and not starting your journey, you need to decide otherwise you'll get "stuck" at the analysis paralysis stage. You may want to get a degree from a State/Public university such as TESU and then decide on a more recognized Masters at Georgia Tech or Univ of Texas - Austin (yes, a Masters at a higher ranked institution). You need the Bachelors before you can ladder up to a Masters, the TESU CS or WGU option is perfectly fine for a springboard to get you there, cheaper, easier, faster...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 2 users Like bjcheung77's post:
  • jch, thecontrarian
(09-29-2021, 11:34 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: You're looking too far ahead and not starting your journey, you need to decide otherwise you'll get "stuck" at the analysis paralysis stage.  You may want to get a degree from a State/Public university such as TESU and then decide on a more recognized Masters at Georgia Tech or Univ of Texas - Austin (yes, a Masters at a higher ranked institution).  You need the Bachelors before you can ladder up to a Masters, the TESU CS or WGU option is perfectly fine for a springboard to get you there, cheaper, easier, faster...

I don’t want a masters. If I stated that I misspoke. Bachelors only for now

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help - Math Degree for Grad School Frederico.Sandoval 10 698 04-20-2024, 11:28 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New UK Bachelors Degree Online coming soon! Leedeedee 1 294 04-03-2024, 11:54 AM
  Cheapest degree in graphic design? blablablox 10 659 03-30-2024, 12:44 PM
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,812 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 588 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 524 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Atlantic Technological University Interesting Bachelor degree offering from Ireland durain 0 291 02-12-2024, 02:58 AM
Last Post: durain
  The First 3-Year Degree Programs Win Approval Ares 10 883 02-07-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  NA to RA Degree Plan Assistance McManus 8 2,252 01-29-2024, 04:59 PM
  After getting the degree Harrynguyen 24 2,848 01-13-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: ArielB74