Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where to get my credits
Hey guys, I'm new here.  I spent the last two days reading this forum for hours, but I am still confused about some things.

There are several options for places to get credits, most written in the description of this sub forum. There are also places I can test out for classes such as CLEP. I have nearby access to CLEP testing sites, but will cost me $100 per course, I noticed that I can take a course and test for the course at saylor.org for just $25. The institutions that I am looking at getting my bachelors degree are listed under http://www2.acenet.edu/crm/cup/ which hopefully means they will accept saylor.org courses. With this in mind, is there any reason for me not to take all the courses that I can from saylor.org since it seems to be the cheapest option? Will that be the easiest/cheapest/fastest option for me in that order to grab credits? just as a background I have an A.S. degree from a local college which took me three years to get the conventional way, before I found out about this forum and alternative methods to get credits, now I'm looking for a better way to get to my bachelors, my end goal is a doctorate.
[-] The following 1 user Likes fmax's post:
  • bamaboy357
There is no reason not to do it, although some people find their course style disorganized and frustrating.

BUT, before you do any of this, CONFIRM FOR SURE that the school you're going to will accept Saylor, and that the credits will fit into your specific degree program.

DO NOT assume they will take them just because they're on that list. That list is very misleading and most of those schools will not widely accept ACE. The Big 3 that we talk about here will accept all of the Saylor credits, but ask first for any other school.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
Hi. I have questions and homework for you. Which degree? BSBA, BALS?
1) Do you have these added to your ACE registry? Did you apply and get an evaluation from TESU already?
If you already have an evaluation, copy/paste it from your OSS to this thread or create a spreadsheet.
2) Download the spreadsheet "My Degree Plan!" on the Beginners Guide thread - Post#27/28
3) In the My Degree Plan! sheet, update it with YOUR credentials and attach it to this thread.
Side note: Follow the same pattern color coding. Use the Bachelors sheet as a reference.
4) Once you have that done, I'll see which option might be better for you, as you don't have any AOS courses.
If you don't have an evaluation, reply to this post with the list of courses in your program, with grade and course number.

Easiest/Cheapest/Fastest? Is that the ranking order you want it? Or is it Cheap/Easy/Fast or Fast/Easy/Cheap?

1) Answer the following questions, so I can better gauge which of the 3 you're looking at - cheap, easy, or fast.
A) Are you close to a testing site for CLEP? How far and how long would it take you to get there and back?
B) Do you have time to study and test at a site or would you rather do everything online for a little extra in price?
C) What is your price range you're looking at for the degree and time you want to set to complete the degree?
D) Are you leaning towards cheap, easy, fast or a combo of them all? Rank them in priority.

I would do everything with MS/CLEP, onlinedegree.com, and Saylor courses first, once all the courses and credits are ready to be transferred, do transfer them to TESU for an evaluation. If you can splurge on getting things Faster/Easier/Cheap, then go the SL/Study.com route.

If you live close to a CLEP test center, then that's the way I would recommend you do the bulk of your credits.
For the GM Concentration or any AOS, UL credits, finish them off with Study.com to get the affiliation discounts.
For Fast/Easy/Cheap, my spreadsheet is going to recommend using StraighterLine for the bulk and Study.com for the AOS.
For Cheap/Easy/Fast, you may want to change the StraighterLine courses to once again, use the CLEP/MS option.

2) What exactly are you looking for help with or advice on? How busy are you?
How much time do you have to spend on studying? Do you have family/kids that you have to attend to?
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
As for CLEPs, they can potentially be free if you look into https://modernstates.org/

I don't know which colleges you are looking into but you should definitely inquire with them specifically if they will recognize saylor or other sources for credit. You may be able to peruse their website for this info or check out https://www.saylor.org/partner-schools/ to see the colleges that saylor has partner transfer agreements with.

Whether that is the cheapest/easiest/fastest option will be relative to you and what courses you need and which courses are offered.

Since you already have an AS, there may not be many lower level courses you still need(most of clep/saylor/others are LL). It would help to find out what you intend to major in for your BA/BS.

Either way, welcome and good luck on your journey. The people of this board will try to help you on your way.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
(08-03-2018, 01:42 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: 2) What exactly are you looking for help with or advice on?

The user's question was pretty specific.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(08-03-2018, 01:23 PM)fmax Wrote: ... The institutions that I am looking at getting my bachelors degree are listed under http://www2.acenet.edu/crm/cup/ which hopefully means they will accept saylor.org courses. With this in mind, is there any reason for me not to take all the courses that I can from saylor.org since it seems to be the cheapest option? ...
That list is almost useless. Most of the schools on that list only take a few ACE courses, and often just for vets. You really need to clear it through your school before assuming that an ACE course will be accepted.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Missing Straighterline credits on credly yc1981 2 103 03-27-2024, 07:53 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  How to get ACE credits such as Sophia on official college transcript Student3452 18 4,881 03-08-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: Gumbeaux
  FREE Voucher for Microsoft AI Skills Challenge coming soon - potential ACE credits BritStudent 7 412 03-07-2024, 12:35 PM
  does felician college accept study.com credits? fraggle 4 553 01-31-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Searching for Fire Science Credits CGaboury 6 541 01-11-2024, 12:45 AM
  Transfer Sophia.org credits to Penn State World Campus? nomaduser 16 2,917 12-19-2023, 12:38 AM
Last Post: Dlynn1219
  Straighterline etc - Graduate Credits in Education? nykorn 5 583 10-22-2023, 07:56 PM
  ACTFL no longer give ACE credits? Kab 16 1,350 08-10-2023, 04:41 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Can your Sophia credits be rejected when applying for a Master? ausernameisneeded 24 3,887 08-03-2023, 05:37 AM
Last Post: ausernameisneeded
  Old ACE credits to Credly defscarlett 4 641 07-27-2023, 07:25 PM