Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where to start?
Hi. Smile

I have no credits ... at least none I can think of. My high school transcript has an error on it so I have to fix that too. Sad

I want to get started on earning some credits for my education . My intent is to get a masters in acupuncture.

The school allows for 30 credits not in a school ... the school only requires an associate degree in any subject. So I can do half with test.

Their options are : College Advanced Placement (AP), College Level Examination Programs (CLEP), American College Testing Proficiency Program (ACT/PEP)

I think I'm too old for AP and for ACT so those are out...

Would Saylor classes classify to build my degree or should I avoid those completely and just focus on CLEP?

My intent was to do the science courses
Bio101
Chem101
right away to get them out of the way.

What do you'll think?

I'm trying to finish my AS like within a year or so ... so the more classes I can test out of the better. And I need to save money too... Smile

These are the two school I'll be applying to;
ACCHS MSTCM Program Entrance Requirements
Educational Requirements - Five Branches University | Five Branches University
Start diving in the Wiki and looking at degree plans to get an idea of what has worked for people. Also, check out Free-Clep-Prep to get an idea on how to get some credits. I would suggest an easy CLEP like Analyzing and Interpreting Literature or College Comp. Saylor Chem and Bio courses are nicely priced and do have the options of labs. Keep in mind, you need to talk to the academic advisor and your school and make sure that all courses transfer BEFORE you start spending money and time. One thing you can do is start grooming your study habits and test-taking skills. Check out Khan Academy and other free resources to start brushing up on subjects and start preparing for the academic world.

http://degreeforum.wikia.com/wiki/Degree_Forum_Wiki
http://www.free-clep-prep.com/
You could also do DSST, UExcel, or TECEP testing.
Denise

MS - Management and Leadership, WGU 2022
BS - Liberal Arts - Depths in Healthcare and Psychology, Excelsior College 2014
Certificate - Workers Comp Admin, UC Davis Extension, 1995
AA - Licensed Vocational Nursing and Selected Studies, Mesa College 1989
Certificate - Licensed Vocational Nursing (LVN), Mesa College 1977

Also, someday maybe a MS in Forensic Psychology, just for fun.   Oh, and a BS in Animal Behavior.  And, maybe when I'm 85 a PhD in something fun.

Thank you both for your advice.

I've looked over the wiki before but it's been awhile.

Last time it didn't help much since my degree choices aren't the normal ones and don't fit into those plans. Sad
All, without a school name being provided, we don't know what sources of credit are acceptable. Five Branches University accepts CLEP and possibly DSST although they didn't specifically state DSST - they stated USAFI. UEXCEL, TECEP, Saylor and Straighterline were not mentioned. Educational Requirements - Five Branches University | Five Branches University It's possible to interpret the page as allowing CLEP for general education courses but not natural science courses such as biology and chemistry. Maybe they want the labs. They said online is okay.

The biology ans chemistry exams are very difficult. If you haven't taken college level chemistry, it is very unlikely you will pass the CLEP chemistry exam.
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
70 CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
68 DSST Technical Writing
72 CLEP U.S. History I
77 CLEP College Mathematics
470 DSST Statistics
53 CLEP College Composition
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
77 CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications
I really appreciate all that advice. And the link that I hadn't been able to find for awhile!

I do feel that I won't pass those science tests so I'll be taking the courses directly instead.

I just passed my CA real estate exam so I'm prepped with good study and testing habits which is awesome. But there are still many many steps to take before I actually have the license in hand.

I'm working on editing my career plan today because I've finally chosen a degree, and know what classes I can and can't take and know where I want to go next.

I'm currently enrolled in the eng comp classes on Saylor ; should finish those in two weeks or so . Once I write out the plan I'll be able to plan for the test and the exams.

FINALLY.. my plan is in action!

Thanks for all the help.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad Does anyone else hate waiting for the next term to start? fromthedepths 9 752 06-26-2023, 02:20 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  When does six months for TADA start? natshar 2 607 03-06-2023, 06:32 AM
Last Post: xianbd
  New to this, where to start? saskgui 9 1,485 08-25-2021, 02:44 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
Information I need an online, RA, 3 sem unit, CHEAP course with an OPEN start date. vanglorious 12 2,382 05-15-2020, 08:49 PM
Last Post: natshar
  WHERE TO START FROM Bahadar 3 1,527 10-22-2019, 09:27 AM
Last Post: Imbanewbie
  Any "Start From Scratch" members willing to share their journey? Idreamofadegree 23 4,763 07-05-2019, 08:55 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  I really need some help on where to start Lifewillbegood 4 1,513 02-26-2019, 09:04 AM
Last Post: allvia
  Overwhelmed Newbie! Where to start? CiggyTardust 15 3,218 01-08-2019, 11:05 AM
Last Post: mysonx3
  15% and 50% who start college finish with BS. Life Long Learning 7 1,744 12-17-2018, 09:37 PM
Last Post: Ideas
  Looking for suggestions on a place to start. IARS 10 2,877 09-17-2018, 04:48 PM
Last Post: eriehiker