Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where to turn to boost GPA?
(01-26-2019, 04:34 PM)TalentlessOlympian Wrote: Hello fellow DegreeForumers!
I've been meaning to ask this question for quite some time now.
My little brother and sister are going to college and they were both in the same class and failed their final. Which dropped their GPA. Man, this is from last year...
They've taken other classes and went from having 3.2 to 2.8 GPAs
I knew going back to the college and retaking the courses was one way but I stupidly said that they could easily take some online classes for cheap instead.
So, I ran over here to look up some links for ACE sites and found exactly what I recalled. But... ACE Tests =/= GPA !
My question is, are there any online services like straighterline/saylor that offer classes that carry a GPA weight. The college my siblings are attending and paying out of pocket for makes this a bit of a problem to simply redo the class. They both work full time and pay for their own cars, insurance, phone, and school. I'm looking for something to help them out and I can't think of any other resource out there besides here!
Thank you for your time!

TL;DR: Wanting to help my siblings boost their GPAs by using a service like Saylor/Straighterline. However, those resources only offer ACE Accreditation which just means credits towards a degree. Where can they go instead and what should I be looking for?

At their current school, they can boost their GPA by taking more classes and earning good grades. Since only 1 class was responsible for dropping their GPA from 3.2 to 2.8, I'm guessing they each have earned less than 15 college credits so far- so the GOOD NEWS is that with each A or B they earn, they can work it back up again.
You're right, ACE / NCCRS courses will not boost their GPA at their school.
BTW, no way I would redo the class to replace it unless they failed it (some colleges consider D too low to count toward a graduation requirement, so by fail, I mean that it's not counting toward their degree). If they failed, then they should take the exact course again. Yes, it's expensive - but that's because they picked an expensive school.
Since cost is an issue, they could take these lower level courses at almost any community college and cut the cost significantly (won't help GPA), but if they insist on paying $$$ per year in tuition, they can and should apply for scholarships weekly. You can do this all the way up until the semester you graduate- so seriously, 50 per year per person. If they do that, they may even have overage which will come back to them- but the only way to increase their GPA at this school is to take classes at the school. Good luck to them!
(01-26-2019, 05:34 PM)TalentlessOlympian Wrote:
(01-26-2019, 05:32 PM)dfrecore Wrote: To raise your GPA, you have 2 options: 1) to retake the exact same course at the exact same school, provided the school has a policy to allow them to do this; and 2) to take enough courses with good grades that the GPA is incrementally raised over time.

You can't take the course at another school, and think this will have any effect (it won't); your GPA at the original school will stay exactly the same; you just may have an ADDITIONAL GPA at a different school.  That will also raise your grade incrementally, but I don't think this is an effective way to do fix this problem.

Excellent insight! Therefore, I am assuming they will need to redo the course whether they like it or not and I am an idiot for saying there's another way.
I guess in some way I was correct but not in the way I hoped. If they transferred out of their current school to a different one, got to retake the same class/equivalent class, passed it, and transferred back to their original school they could raise their GPA. Correct?

Wait... I think I went back to my original thinking...
But if they stay at the other school they'd have a better GPA?
Man, this has me confused now. Sorry...

1) Most schools have a policy about grade replacement - you can retake if you have a D or F - otherwise, you're stuck with what you have.

2) If you transfer, your GPA stays with your current school.  Meaning, if you're at School ABC with a GPA of 3.0, and then transfer to School XYZ and get a 4.0 there, your GPA does not transfer with me.  You still have a 3.0 at ABC and a 4.0 at XYZ.

3) Now, if you were to go to a different school later, they might look at your 2 different GPA's to make sure you qualify to get in (TESU wants you to have an overall 2.0 to get in).  But your GPA's are still there at the old schools.

4) If you were to graduate and then want to get a MA degree, they might look at your GPA's, and even combine them, or do some other things: look at your last 30 or 60 graded credits, look at credits in the "core" area, etc.  But that would be an internal calculation on their end.

5) You can't "hide" your GPA by leaving School A and starting at School B.  Because most schools check the national databases to see if you went somewhere else.  If you did, they will want to see your old transcripts.

6) All of this to say I agree with davewill, it only matters if it matters.  And they should probably focus on getting better grades going forward, as that will make a bigger difference than anything else.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(01-26-2019, 07:00 PM)cookderosa Wrote:
My little brother and sister are going to college and they were both in the same class and failed their final. Which dropped their GPA. Man, this is from last year...
I knew going back to the college and retaking the courses was one way but I stupidly said that they could easily take some online classes for cheap instead.
So, I ran over here to look up some links for ACE sites and found exactly what I recalled. But... ACE Tests =/= GPA !
My question is, are there any online services like straighterline/saylor that offer classes that carry a GPA weight. The college my siblings are attending and paying out of pocket for makes this a bit of a problem to simply redo the class. They both work full time and pay for their own cars, insurance, phone, and school. I'm looking for something to help them out and I can't think of any other resource out there besides here!
Thank you for your time!

TL;DR: Wanting to help my siblings boost their GPAs by using a service like Saylor/Straighterline. However, those resources only offer ACE Accreditation which just means credits towards a degree. Where can they go instead and what should I be looking for?

At their current school, they can boost their GPA by taking more classes and earning good grades. Since only 1 class was responsible for dropping their GPA from 3.2 to 2.8, I'm guessing they each have earned less than 15 college credits so far- so the GOOD NEWS is that with each A or B they earn, they can work it back up again.
You're right, ACE / NCCRS courses will not boost their GPA at their school.
BTW, no way I would redo the class to replace it unless they failed it (some colleges consider D too low to count toward a graduation requirement, so by fail, I mean that it's not counting toward their degree).  If they failed, then they should take the exact course again.  Yes, it's expensive - but that's because they picked an expensive school.  
Since cost is an issue, they could take these lower level courses at almost any community college and cut the cost significantly (won't help GPA), but if they insist on paying $$$ per year in tuition, they can and should apply for scholarships weekly.  You can do this all the way up until the semester you graduate- so seriously, 50 per year per person.  If they do that, they may even have overage which will come back to them- but the only way to increase their GPA at this school is to take classes at the school.  Good luck to them!

This is correct. So what would be their best course of action if they end up repeating this later in their degree. For example, they are at the 75% completion point but somehow manage to have a 2.0 GPA for whatever the reason? How could they boost their GPA effectively ? With the knowledge I have now thanks to you and the community here I'd say they'd have to start enrolling in useless electives in hopes to fixing it if they were keeping the current grades that lead them to a 2.0... I'm not sure what their class retake policy is. Maybe a D is considered passing and can't be redone. In which case, couldn't they CLEP/DANTE that course and use that credit instead of a GPA weighed credit?
I probably have a really weird way of thinking about this so I apologize if my ideas are 'out there'.

Also, where should they look for scholarships?

(01-26-2019, 09:08 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(01-26-2019, 05:34 PM)TalentlessOlympian Wrote:
(01-26-2019, 05:32 PM)dfrecore Wrote: To raise your GPA, you have 2 options: 1) to retake the exact same course at the exact same school, provided the school has a policy to allow them to do this; and 2) to take enough courses with good grades that the GPA is incrementally raised over time.

You can't take the course at another school, and think this will have any effect (it won't); your GPA at the original school will stay exactly the same; you just may have an ADDITIONAL GPA at a different school.  That will also raise your grade incrementally, but I don't think this is an effective way to do fix this problem.

Excellent insight! Therefore, I am assuming they will need to redo the course whether they like it or not and I am an idiot for saying there's another way.
I guess in some way I was correct but not in the way I hoped. If they transferred out of their current school to a different one, got to retake the same class/equivalent class, passed it, and transferred back to their original school they could raise their GPA. Correct?

Wait... I think I went back to my original thinking...
But if they stay at the other school they'd have a better GPA?
Man, this has me confused now. Sorry...

1) Most schools have a policy about grade replacement - you can retake if you have a D or F - otherwise, you're stuck with what you have.

2) If you transfer, your GPA stays with your current school.  Meaning, if you're at School ABC with a GPA of 3.0, and then transfer to School XYZ and get a 4.0 there, your GPA does not transfer with me.  You still have a 3.0 at ABC and a 4.0 at XYZ.

3) Now, if you were to go to a different school later, they might look at your 2 different GPA's to make sure you qualify to get in (TESU wants you to have an overall 2.0 to get in).  But your GPA's are still there at the old schools.

4) If you were to graduate and then want to get a MA degree, they might look at your GPA's, and even combine them, or do some other things: look at your last 30 or 60 graded credits, look at credits in the "core" area, etc.  But that would be an internal calculation on their end.

5) You can't "hide" your GPA by leaving School A and starting at School B.  Because most schools check the national databases to see if you went somewhere else.  If you did, they will want to see your old transcripts.

6) All of this to say I agree with davewill, it only matters if it matters.  And they should probably focus on getting better grades going forward, as that will make a bigger difference than anything else.

Thank you for this clarification. I never transferred into a bigger and better school before. My siblings are attending schools I always felt were out of reach for myself due to the finances and I am not keen on working full time and enrolling in classes. I know my limitations and I'd rather not spend money on an endeavor I know I can't manage. But for them it works and I am proud of them. Slightly green with envy, too.

Well, again, I'd like to also ask you the same question I posted above:
What would be their best course of action if they end up repeating this later in their degree. For example, they are at the 75% completion point but somehow manage to have a 2.0 GPA for whatever the reason? How could they boost their GPA effectively?
(01-26-2019, 09:37 PM)TalentlessOlympian Wrote: ...
This is correct. So what would be their best course of action if they end up repeating this later in their degree. For example, they are at the 75% completion point but somehow manage to have a 2.0 GPA for whatever the reason? How could they boost their GPA effectively ? With the knowledge I have now thanks to you and the community here I'd say they'd have to start enrolling in useless electives in hopes to fixing it if they were keeping the current grades that lead them to a 2.0... I'm not sure what their class retake policy is. Maybe a D is considered passing and can't be redone. In which case, couldn't they CLEP/DANTE that course and use that credit instead of a GPA weighed credit?
I probably have a really weird way of thinking about this so I apologize if my ideas are 'out there'.
No, alternative credit will never replace a real course.

You can only increase your GPA by getting better grades on new classes. The most effective way is retaking, if allowed.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Thank you for your time!

Hello,

My brother was in the exact same scenario.  He failed / dropped his GPA.  What he did was instead of continuing at the expensive school, that he could no longer get into anyways because of his GPA, he went to the cheep community college to take cheep classes to bring up his GPA.  The only way to do it is to take classes and get good grades.  Once his GPA is up again he plans on attending the expensive college to finish.  My GPA followed me from my shitty grades at my old school to my awesome grades at my new school.  It doesn't just disappear.
(01-26-2019, 09:37 PM)TalentlessOlympian Wrote: Well, again, I'd like to also ask you the same question I posted above:
What would be their best course of action if they end up repeating this later in their degree. For example, they are at the 75% completion point but somehow manage to have a 2.0 GPA for whatever the reason? How could they boost their GPA effectively?

Best course of action:

1) Retake the course IF the school has a policy allowing it

2) Take more courses and get good grades, raising your GPA each time your grade is good

Those are the ONLY 2 ways to change your GPA.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You said their school is UCF, if that is the Univ of Central Florida, then here's their policy:

https://registrar.ucf.edu/grade-forgiveness/

Grade Forgiveness

Grade Forgiveness offers a student the opportunity to retake a course and earn a second grade that will be substituted for the previous grade. Students must be enrolled in the second attempt prior to applying for Grade Forgiveness and requests must be submitted no later than the last official day of class of the term the course is being repeated. Please note that Grade Forgiveness is a lengthy process and is not official until the end of the term.

Grade Forgiveness can only be requested for a course in which the original grade was a “C-” or lower. Should a student need to repeat a course due to a degree program requirement that necessitates a grade of “C” or higher, the student can request a Grade Forgiveness exception form from the Registrar’s Office.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • TalentlessOlympian

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Boost GPA NewatTESU 4 791 01-13-2022, 11:21 PM
Last Post: NewatTESU
  My turn to rant Roseblood 6 2,220 01-26-2007, 11:58 AM
Last Post: ShotoJuku