Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which College, looking for fast and low cost
Hi I’m looking for a university to complete a degree quickly and low cost. I would prefer a university that has tests instead of essays. I’ve seen this YouTube video where someone completes a FULL 120 credits, let alone 30 credits, in 2 months with WGU. The UMPI essays seem tedious and you don’t get your grade instantly. Would WGU be a better option than UMPI?

I have the following courses and ACE credits.

Sophia Credits
English 1
English 2
College algebra
Sociology
Communication at work
Environmental science
Art history 1
Us history 1
College readiness
Intro to ethics
Intro to stats
Microeconomics
Macroeconomics
Financial accounting
Intro to business

Study,com
Biology 
Business math
Applied Managerial Accounting

Coursera Certificates
Google Data Analytics
IBM Data Analysis and Visualisation Foundation
Google Project Management
IBM Data Analyst Professional Certificate
What degree do you want? What goals are you hoping to achieve (I.E., are you wanting to get a Master's degree in the future?) Some WGU degrees do have non-exam assessments in the course. It looks like you've been taking business courses. I think business degrees are ones where you have to complete a powerpoint or something similar in order to pass some classes. Are you even located in the US, or are you in another country?

How long did it take you to complete the credits you have listed?

Another thing to bear in mind is that not everyone is able to complete a WGU degree in 6 months. Completing 120 credits at WGU in 2 months is pretty unheard of. Most students who attend WGU probably take at least 1 year to complete their degrees, even with maximum transfer. But you only hear about the outliers, as in that video. If you don't already have extensive knowledge in the field, there's a good chance that you'll take at least 6 months, if not longer, to complete a WGU degree.

If you prefer exams over essays, you might want to consider TESU or Excelsior. Depending on what degree you want, their degrees can be mostly completed with exams by using sources that include Davar and Coopersmith. Both of these schools will be cheaper than 2 terms at WGU. And you wouldn't be racing the clock to get everything finished before the timer dings and you have to pay for another term.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(09-23-2022, 02:06 AM)rachel83az Wrote: What degree do you want? What goals are you hoping to achieve (I.E., are you wanting to get a Master's degree in the future?) Some WGU degrees do have non-exam assessments in the course. It looks like you've been taking business courses. I think business degrees are ones where you have to complete a powerpoint or something similar in order to pass some classes. Are you even located in the US, or are you in another country?

How long did it take you to complete the credits you have listed?

Another thing to bear in mind is that not everyone is able to complete a WGU degree in 6 months. Completing 120 credits at WGU in 2 months is pretty unheard of. Most students who attend WGU probably take at least 1 year to complete their degrees, even with maximum transfer. But you only hear about the outliers, as in that video. If you don't already have extensive knowledge in the field, there's a good chance that you'll take at least 6 months, if not longer, to complete a WGU degree.

If you prefer exams over essays, you might want to consider TESU or Excelsior. Depending on what degree you want, their degrees can be mostly completed with exams by using sources that include Davar and Coopersmith. Both of these schools will be cheaper than 2 terms at WGU. And you wouldn't be racing the clock to get everything finished before the timer dings and you have to pay for another term.
It’s been done before at WGU and I have a lot of time on my hands. I am looking to complete a business or IT undergraduate degree. I have gotten all my credits listed in a span of 3 months
https://youtu.be/z5R70_WgZTk
https://youtu.be/d3iKMoCIclA
An actual WGU student would know better, but if it took you 3 months to complete those credits, I'm not sure that's fast enough for a single-term WGU degree.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • origamishuttle
It doesn't matter what someone else has done. That has no impact on how quickly you can move through courses. The people who complete WGU degrees in a handful of months have YEARS of experience to draw upon. WGU is very selective in what courses transfer in. Much of what you have is not going to apply to a WGU degree. If those are all of the credits you've earned in 3 months, you won't finish a WGU degree in 2 months. WGU has papers and proctored exams.
[-] The following 2 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • origamishuttle, rachel83az
In addition to post #4 and #5, you need to be "honest" with yourself and be more "transparent".  Anyways, you've done the Google PM cert and you're not following through with any of the recommendations in that course.  In order to help you more, you need to provide us more details, as a "team" we can get things done, but without providing "any other details", you're going to be stuck.  We are here to help, but the communication is not there, we don't know your budget, commitments, situation, etc.

Guess who makes the choices around here for you.  And who knows you the most? Yes, YOU.  Advice is just that, we can only help you so much, but if you don't put in the effort to decide for yourself, what can we do?  You haven't provided us any other details except from your last posts - no proctor, no capstone, no tedious writing, cheap, easy, fast.   You really need to review my previous post to you, this is your homework for today: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid376865
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • origamishuttle
(09-23-2022, 04:38 AM)rachel83az Wrote: An actual WGU student would know better, but if it took you 3 months to complete those credits, I'm not sure that's fast enough for a single-term WGU degree.

I would say it's on pace, depending on the degree. However, as @ss20ts mentioned, much of it won't apply to WGU, again depending on the degree.

(09-23-2022, 04:04 AM)EdwardLong Wrote: It’s been done before at WGU and I have a lot of time on my hands. I am looking to complete a business or IT undergraduate degree.

Finishing a WGU in a single term is very achievable, but I recommend that you be strategic about it. Decide on a degree and only work on what will transfer to that degree. Join the discord to get access to the degree planning spreadsheets, and ask for advice from people who are currently going through the process: https://discord.com/invite/unwgu
Pierpont Community & Technical College 2022
Associate of Applied Science - Board of Governors - Area of Emphasis: Information Systems
Western Governors University 
Bachelor of Science - Cloud Computing
Charter Oak State College
Bachelor of Science - General Studies - Concentration: Information Systems Studies
Thomas Edison State University
Bachelor of Arts - Computer Science
Associate in Science in Natural Sciences and Mathematics - Mathematics
University of Maine at Presque Isle 
Bachelor of Applied Science - Minor: Project Management
The only way to get done in 2 months at WGU is to already have experience; but I would guess that someone with experience can finish in a single 6mo term, if you bring in the max amount of credits, and possibly study ahead of time (for instance, studying for the A+ exams before you start, and then taking those exams immediately upon enrolling in the program).

You can also be very strategic about the degree you choose, and the credits you bring in. You want to have courses left to complete at WGU that you're already familiar with.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Generally speaking, if you are putting around 20-30hrs a week into your studies, you can:
1. Earn a Liberal Arts degree in around 5 months
2. Earn a Business or specific Liberal Arts type degree such as Psychology or History in 6 months. 
3. Earn an IT or Computer Science degree in 9-12 months.

Josh Madakor did the Computer Science degree at WGU in 2 months after transferring in near max credits. He struggled with SL Calculus, which took 2 months just by itself for that one course.

If you transfer in max credits, you would only have to do 7 courses at WGU + the capstone in 6 months. You could probably do some courses, such as ethics, in 10 hours or less while the harder courses might take 40-80hrs each. 

https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/WG...egree_Plan
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
I just watched that video - nowhere does he say how much he studied; and I don't think every single class for that degree is only an exam, I think there are some courses that require a paper.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Going back to school at 29 for CS with only freshman year of college completed RejuvenationOclock 8 658 04-10-2024, 11:40 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Almost 40 year old with foreign BA in English degree and Santa Monica College Cert KMcLean 12 1,038 03-25-2024, 08:12 PM
  Need to finish up fast channaleah 6 580 03-17-2024, 01:35 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Fast and Easy Associates Degree XNutty98 18 1,016 03-06-2024, 12:30 PM
Last Post: The need 2 learn
  Need a plan to get an Associates fast and cheap smartiepants35 14 1,581 02-26-2024, 01:44 AM
Last Post: smartiepants35
  College choice KnowledgeQuest 9 678 01-30-2024, 01:54 PM
Last Post: KnowledgeQuest
  online community college pathway to asu bs mech engg galactus 9 650 01-08-2024, 07:01 AM
Wink Fast RA Credit Options User7364 9 856 01-04-2024, 11:08 AM
  Associate Degree - Cheap and fast kslamande 6 826 12-29-2023, 02:33 AM
  Central Texas College Melhux 0 237 12-11-2023, 07:10 PM
Last Post: Melhux