Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which School for Cybersecurity for Young Person
Hello. My son is interested in a Cybersecurity degree. He is a high school sophomore about to graduate from community college with a general Associate of Science. We are low-income, so cost is a bigger factor than time, since he is so young. We would love to be able to transfer in as many credits as possible. Her is what he has so far:

CLEPS
US History 1; 3 cr
Analyzing and Interpreting Lit; 3 cr
College Composition Modular; 3 cr
Intro to Sociology; 3 cr
US History 2; 3 cr
Western Civilization 1; 3 cr

ACE CREDITS
College Algebra; Sophia; 3
Human Biology; Sophia; 3
Foundations of Statistics; Sophia; 2
Visual Communications; Sophia; 3
Approaches to Studying Religions; Sophia; 3
Introduction to Business; Sophia; 3
Introduction to Relational Databases; Sophia; 3
Introduction to Web Design; Sophia; 3
Ancient Greek Philosophers; Sophia; 3
Introduction to Information Technology; Sophia; 3
Introduction to Statistics; Sophia; 3
Environmental Science; Sophia; 3

REGIONALLY-ACCREDITED COLLEGE COURSES

Astronomy; ASU; 4
Introduction to Programming; AS; 3
Latin 1; MACU; 3-5
American Government; HCC; 3
Texas Government; HCC; 3
Calculus I; HCC; 4
Intro to Game Programming; HCC; 3

He is planning on taking Calc 2, Calc 3, and Discrete math and possibly Linear Algebra before high school graduation via HCC. Dual enrollment is definitely the cheapest route at $65/Class, but it's all online.

He has no other certifications or anything but he has played around with programming for a few years and has gone through some Udemy hacking and cybersecurity courses.
Me: Earned BSLA at Excelsior November 2021!

My son Tor (15 yrs): 
CLEPS passed: US Hist 1, A&I Lit, College Composition, Intro to Sociology, US Hist 2, Western Civ 1
College Courses taken: Astronomy, Intro to Programming, Latin 1,  Federal GOVT
ACE passed via Sophia: Human Biology, College Algebra, Intro to Statistics, Religion, Visual Communications, Intro to Relational Databases, Intro to Business, 
Currently Working on: Calc 1, TX GOVT
Unfortunately, Cybersecurity isn't really a degree that can be obtained inexpensively. Especially for someone who isn't even old enough to have graduated from HS.

The cheapest option is probably going to be Purdue Global: https://www.purdueglobal.edu/degree-prog...rsecurity/ But he would need to be 18 to enroll. He would also need to be okay with doing a lot of writing.

Excelsior allows enrollment at an earlier age, and your son could theoretically start now, but most of their Cybersecurity degree requirements cannot be transferred in. That makes them significantly more expensive.

Since your son is okay with taking advanced math classes, what I would suggest would be to aim for a TESU Computer Science degree. Is it Cybersecurity? No. But (at least of right now), they do allow students to transfer in the majority of their credits. It will be the cheapest & easiest solution - unless something else pops up in the next 3 or so years (which it might).

With all the RA credits he'll have by graduation, he should be able to enroll as soon as he turned 18. Graduating with a TESU BACS would hopefully allow him to get a higher-paying job - one that might include tuition reimbursement - and he could then get a Master's degree in Cybersecurity.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • jsd
If you're in Texas, I'd choose an in-state school where he could use the Pell Grant and Texas grants. Some universities in Texas are tuition-free for families who make less than a certain amount. I don't think the options mostly discussed on this forum are appropriate for him. We're mostly concerned with speed and out-of-pocket costs.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 2 users Like sanantone's post:
  • davewill, jsd
The usual isn't going to cut it for this kid, it's just not what we're good at discussing.

Instead, I'm looking at in-state tuition if possible, including scholarships. Forget about ACE and get a standard 4yr degree - because that will allow him to spend the time he needs taking courses, and getting things like internships, which are much more valuable for a college kid with no experience.

The only other schools you might look at: SNHU, Franklin University, UMGC, or Wilmington University.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • davewill
@TorsMama, I would continue with the current dual enrollment and maximize the first/second year credits from that source. Find local college/university he may be interested in and see what Cybersecurity or IT related programs they have at the Bachelors level. See if there is a seamless agreement for articulation before treading off to the main institutions we recommend here. It's best to max out the dual enrollment and CLEP/ModernStates option first for gen ed/free electives.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I would definitely look at what your local, in-state tuition options are, apply for FAFSA, and look at other scholarship opportunities before trying to find a cheap, out of pocket online degree. With that said, with a full pell grant and maybe a scholarship, WGU would be nearly free and has good programs for IT, Cyber, etc if your son is a motivated/disciplined self starter. You wouldn't even have to worry about finishing super fast if most of your tuition is covered.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
Thank you for the ideas, everyone! Does anyone know where to go for reviews for specific colleges for specific majors?
Me: Earned BSLA at Excelsior November 2021!

My son Tor (15 yrs): 
CLEPS passed: US Hist 1, A&I Lit, College Composition, Intro to Sociology, US Hist 2, Western Civ 1
College Courses taken: Astronomy, Intro to Programming, Latin 1,  Federal GOVT
ACE passed via Sophia: Human Biology, College Algebra, Intro to Statistics, Religion, Visual Communications, Intro to Relational Databases, Intro to Business, 
Currently Working on: Calc 1, TX GOVT
WGU I believe you can get in at less than 18 years old
https://www.southsoundbiz.com/news/wgu-l...82b26.html

SNHU, someone said on the forum that you could get in at less than 18yrs as well.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(02-10-2023, 05:01 PM)TorsMama Wrote: Thank you for the ideas, everyone! Does anyone know where to go for reviews for specific colleges for specific majors?

Unfortunately, nothing reliable. Most of the rankings and other publications are mostly fueled by fudged up stats, if not downright lies. One truism that seems to hold up is that employers will generally favor either big name schools that they recognize, or local schools that they have had lots of experience hiring graduates from.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • sanantone
(02-10-2023, 05:01 PM)TorsMama Wrote: Thank you for the ideas, everyone! Does anyone know where to go for reviews for specific colleges for specific majors?

Research the College Scorecard for objective measures of outcomes. Reviews usually skew negative because people are less motivated to make positive reviews, and some schools will pay people to write positive reviews.

https://collegescorecard.ed.gov/

Tip: Click on the "field of study tab" and type information. Click on "Computer and Information Systems Security/Information Assurance." Cybersecurity and related programs will be included in that category. Or, you can just search individual colleges and universities.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cybersecurity BA - Military SwiftHax 23 1,648 8 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Going back to school at 29 for CS with only freshman year of college completed RejuvenationOclock 8 648 04-10-2024, 11:40 PM
  DBA degree: online, 2-3 years, top US or UK school, accredited absamer 23 1,751 04-01-2024, 02:57 AM
Last Post: quanticmba
  Feedback on Paris Business School absamer 5 320 03-12-2024, 06:23 PM
  Seeking Degree Advice - CS or Cybersecurity? yak_jac 11 611 02-24-2024, 01:23 AM
Last Post: ItsNeverTheLionsYear
  BS CS degree for anxiety person munro 19 1,553 02-02-2024, 12:27 PM
  Help finding a school and degree plan bleedingpurple 39 3,453 12-29-2023, 12:14 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Hi! Prospective law school student. Need 30-ish credits to graduate within 6 months. CaughtInTheRye12 23 1,769 12-28-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: CaughtInTheRye12
  Help for Daughter w/ Choosing School/Degree/Degree Plan MaMichelle 4 529 11-21-2023, 12:56 PM
  Has anyone used AP credits from high school on transfering to the big three? smtGate 4 399 11-19-2023, 10:46 PM
Last Post: ss20ts