Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which School would you suggest?
Hi everyone, I have been working towards an Associates degree in the Arts. Here is my credit distribution.

Associate in Arts Credit Distribution
Subject/Category Credits
I. General Education 48
A. English Composition 6=6
(6) English Comp.(6)--score 50=CLEP
B. Humanities (must include two subject areas) 12=6
(6) Analyzing and Interpreting Literature(6)--score 66=CLEP
C. Social Sciences (must include two subject areas) 12=12
(3) US History II--- score 67!= CLEP
(3) American Government---score 59= CLEP
(6) Social Sciences and History---score 58= CLEP
D. Natural Sciences (must include at least two subject areas) 9=9

One college-level mathematics course (required)

(3) (3) Intermediate Algebra(3)=Aleks

One computer science course (strongly recommended)

(3)(3) Introduction to Computing(3)--score 440=DSST

Other natural sciences/mathematics

(3)(6)1/2 College Mathematics(6)--score 60=CLEP
E. General Education Electives 9=0
II. Free Electives 12=12
College Algebra(3)=Aleks, Management Information Systems (3)UL---score 406=DSST,1/2 College Mathematics(6)--score 60=CLEP, (3) History of the United States 1---score 63= CLEP

So all I have left is 6 Humanities credits and 9 music credits. I was planning on going to TESC but, they are so expensive. I would like to get PLA for the 9 credits. I have been playing the violin for 12 years. Is it possible to get all 9 credits this way? Is there any way I could go to one of the other BIG THREE colleges and still do prior learning assessment? Do you see any flaws with my degree plan so far? I was planning on taking the humanities test or literature for the last 6 credits. I am open to any advice you have to give me!

Thanks!
~*~ Rachel~*~
To everything there is a season,
and a time to every purpose under heaven.
Ec. 3:1

CLEP:
College Mathematics(6)--score 60
Analyzing and Interpreting Literature(6)--score 66
English Composition(6)--score 50
US History I(3)--score 63
US History II(3)--score 67
American Government(3)--score 59
Social Sciences and History(6)--score 58

DSST:
Introduction to Computing(3)--score 440
Management Information Systems(3)UL--score 406

ALEKS:
Beginning Algebra(3)
Intermediate Algebra(3)
College Algebra(3)

Straighter Line:
Intro to sociology
World Religions
Business Ethics
Western Civ. 1
Cultural Anthropology

To God be the glory!
Have you considered a CC or JC? Your local one or New Mexico Junior College.

I ask because if you did your last 15 or so hours this way and earned great grades (and I have every confidence you would)...you would be eligible for induction into the Phi Theta Kappa honor society...and an AA degree holdr who was PTK has access to a lot of money to finish their education. This is how my daughter paid for her first three courses at Harvard Extension.

I only mention this because your sort of atypical on this forum....I think someone your age should consider all the alternatives before choosing one of the Big 3....If you decide on them that's great too....but know your options, dream a little. Your only limited by what you choose...

Charter Oak does have a PLA mechanism Charter Oak State College - Lifelong Learning Credit Portfolio But I think you would be better served by tackling a couple free saylor courses or additional CBE....these are more concrete and certain than a PLA. ALEKS would work as well.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
This post will give you a guide for EC to compare:

http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...post130638

Some potential issues for EC: Info Lit, capstone, WER (CLEP not allowed), Computing is not considered Natural Science, unknown if Math CLEP and lower ALEKS duplicate, and 3 credit course at EC to orient for PLA

PLA at EC - Prior Learning Assessment - excelsior.edu

PLA orientation course - CCS-202 Prior Learning Assessment Theory and Practice
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
Three of the classes you have listed as free electives would qualify as general education electives:

E. General Education Electives 9
1. College Algebra (3)=Aleks
2. 1/2 College Mathematics(6)--score 60=CLEP
3. History of the United States 1 (3)---score 63= CLEP

Given that, you could just take the Humanities CLEP for 6 credits and 9 FEMA classes for 9 credits and be done at TESC!
Yes, keep the free FEMA in mind at TESC or COSC!
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
Are you looking for an Associate of Arts in general/liberal studies, an Associate of Arts in an actual subject like history, or an Associate of Arts in Art? Like Rebel said, the Big 3 are not good options for just getting an associates. They are all quite expensive for this. You should look at community colleges in this order: in-district, in-state, or Clovis CC or New Mexico JC. An associate of arts is generally not worth much. If you're planning to go on to a bachelor's degree, you should consider which school would be best to earn that bachelor's degree and maybe pick up an associate's on the way.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
For comparison sake you can get the General Studies AA done at COSC for:

Cornerstone (3 credit) $825.00
Semester enrollment Fee $228.00
Graduation Fee $205

Total $1258.00......assuming you brought everything else in via CBE/FEMA/SL

I would still recommend a tactical enrollment in CC/JC as I described to you above. I wouldn't advise my own kids to choose a Big 3 without considering all the other options. And that's really about YOU not any given school!
AS in EMS August 2010

KayV Wrote:Three of the classes you have listed as free electives would qualify as general education electives:

E. General Education Electives 9
1. College Algebra (3)=Aleks
2. 1/2 College Mathematics(6)--score 60=CLEP
3. History of the United States 1 (3)---score 63= CLEP

Given that, you could just take the Humanities CLEP for 6 credits and 9 FEMA classes for 9 credits and be done at TESC!

Oh, so you are saying that those could be my "9 Art electives"? That would be great and a lot cheaper!

The reason I haven't done a community college is because I do not intend to take any college classes. I don't think the colleges in my area will just accept my test credits and hand me a degree will they? If anyone has any info. about how the community college route works I would definitely be interested! Thank you all so much.

God bless,
~*~ Rachel~*~

CLEP:

DSST:

ALEKS:
Beginning Algebra(3)
Intermediate Algebra(3)
College Algebra(3)

Straighter Line:
Intro to sociology
World Religions
Business Ethics
Western Civ. 1
Cultural Anthropology

To God be the glory!
sanantone Wrote:Are you looking for an Associate of Arts in general/liberal studies, an Associate of Arts in an actual subject like history, or an Associate of Arts in Art? Like Rebel said, the Big 3 are not good options for just getting an associates. They are all quite expensive for this. You should look at community colleges in this order: in-district, in-state, or Clovis CC or New Mexico JC. An associate of arts is generally not worth much. If you're planning to go on to a bachelor's degree, you should consider which school would be best to earn that bachelor's degree and maybe pick up an associate's on the way.

I am not looking at pursuing a BA after I finish my Associates degree. Would the other colleges you suggested accept all the credits I have?
~*~ Rachel~*~

CLEP:

DSST:

ALEKS:
Beginning Algebra(3)
Intermediate Algebra(3)
College Algebra(3)

Straighter Line:
Intro to sociology
World Religions
Business Ethics
Western Civ. 1
Cultural Anthropology

To God be the glory!
Community colleges tend to be very open to accepting CLEP, but most schools outside of the Big 3 require that you complete 25% of your degree in residence. This can be done online or on campus. It takes a little longer and requires a little more effort, but you could end up saving money. You'll also have more graded credits which could help if you decide to further your education later on. CCs also tend to have articulation agreements with state universities.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Applying to PA school ashtonnewman 18 4,031 08-12-2018, 11:17 PM
Last Post: ashtonnewman
  Business Degree and Dental School Flowers12 6 2,465 07-19-2018, 03:12 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  TESU Psychology courses & grad school prospects. advancedmemetics 5 1,732 07-06-2018, 11:35 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Tesu..finish a degree ad grad school Sb2013 11 3,338 05-24-2018, 10:52 PM
Last Post: SDO
  Need Help - School that awards 60 credit general Asscociate Degree Synicaal 9 2,506 02-28-2018, 07:08 PM
Last Post: quigongene
  Which school accepts FEMA? collegechick 13 9,222 02-06-2018, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  How many donate to their school as alumni? Life Long Learning 7 2,276 11-11-2017, 02:45 PM
Last Post: Ideas
  I'm finished and grad school encouragement bannerfield 8 2,664 09-01-2017, 08:14 AM
Last Post: alleycat
  anyone had an issue applying for Grad school with a TESU degree? CM1999 5 3,248 07-09-2017, 04:15 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Best school to transfer NYPD Academy transcript mdel210201 30 9,933 06-01-2017, 04:05 PM
Last Post: mdel210201